Uribe Not Going to Boston

Dick Allen

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 01:52 PM)
All highlighted players were important parts of the World Series team, characterizing them as "whatever" moves does them quite a disservice. Also, a deadline deal for another player that helped win the world series was Esteban Loaiza for Jose Contreras in the last hour before the deadline.

That's what I'm saying- at the time, they were whatever moves that nobody thought would help. He never brings in a huge name.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 12:08 PM)
That's what I'm saying- at the time, they were whatever moves that nobody thought would help. He never brings in a huge name.

Freddy Garcia was the biggest name on the pitching trade market in 2004 IIRC.

ok, the 'kenny never makes a big move at the deadline' nonsense has to stop.

does anyone really think he has a philosophy that says 'i won't make a big deal at the deadline that will help my team'? gmafb.

what gm makes a big-name deal every year? no one.

the market and your resources dictate what move you make or don't make. when the deal was right kw picked up a guy who was key. when it wasn't, he didn't.

personally i don't think he's going to make a big deal. but that's because i don't think we have the resources to get it done, not because 'kw never does big deadline deals.' jesus, could we have at least a slight bit of sophistication when we look at stuff like this. sheesh.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 03:12 PM)
Lowe, Carpenter, Clemens, Clement, and Pavano were all bigger names, IMO.

How many of them were traded during the season?

KW brings in big names.

Wells, Colon, Dye. Roberto Alomar was a big name. Everett was an All Star the year he acquired him. Billy Koch was a big name. Some would say Swisher and Thome and Cabrera were big names.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 04:12 PM)
Lowe, Carpenter, Clemens, Clement, and Pavano were all bigger names, IMO.

Fixed.

Lowe wasnt having his best year and was in Boston. They needed him, I dont remember him being available

Carpenter was in his first good year and coming off an injury. At that point he wasnt as good as Freddy

Clemens was in Houston b/c he wanted to be. He was not on the market.

Clement? Seriously? He's never been more than a 3 or 4

Pavano i think was still with Florida. Cant remember if they were in the race or not, but i still would have rated Freddy higher

IMO, Fredy Garcia was the biggest pitcher actually available, and if I remember correctly, there were several other teams after him when we made the deal.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 03:14 PM)
ok, the 'kenny never makes a big move at the deadline' nonsense has to stop.

does anyone really think he has a philosophy that says 'i won't make a big deal at the deadline that will help my team'? gmafb.

what gm makes a big-name deal every year? no one.

the market and your resources dictate what move you make or don't make. when the deal was right kw picked up a guy who was key. when it wasn't, he didn't.

personally i don't think he's going to make a big deal. but that's because i don't think we have the resources to get it done, not because 'kw never does big deadline deals.' jesus, could we have at least a slight bit of sophistication when we look at stuff like this. sheesh.

Well, no s***. But KW never does. Some GMs sometimes do.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 02:27 PM)
Well, no s***. But KW never does. Some GMs sometimes do.

how many different times do we have to show you that he does?

And nobody has even mentioned the moves he makes in the offseason, like say, CARLOS QUENTIN

Edited by kyyle23

Pitchers traded during the 2004 season:

Jeremy Griffiths

Dave Weathers

Gabe White

Denny Bautista

Jason Grimsley

Mike Wood

Octavio Dotel

Freddy Garcia

Jimmy Anderson

Gary Majewski

Jon Rauch

Mike Dejean

Scott Randall

Terry Adams

Todd Jones

Brad Penny

Josh Hancock

Andy Machado

Guillermo Mota

Felix Rodriguez

Bill Murphy

Bartolome Fortunato

Jose Diaz

Kris Benson

Jon Huber

Francis Beltran

Tom Martin

Esteban Loaiza

Jose Contreras

Ismael Valdez

Travis Chick

Scott Erickson

Jeriome Robertson

Cory Lidle

Elmer Dessens

Mike Venafro

Dan Wheeler

Freddy was a HUGE get, especially when you consider in the fact that he was mainly bidding against the Yankees.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 02:39 PM)

Jeremy Griffiths

Dave Weathers

Gabe White

Denny Bautista

Jason Grimsley

Mike Wood

Octavio Dotel

Freddy Garcia

Jimmy Anderson

Gary Majewski

Jon Rauch

Mike Dejean

Scott Randall

Terry Adams

Todd Jones

Brad Penny

Josh Hancock

Andy Machado

Guillermo Mota

Felix Rodriguez

Bill Murphy

Bartolome Fortunato

Jose Diaz

Kris Benson

Jon Huber

Francis Beltran

Tom Martin

Esteban Loaiza

Jose Contreras

Ismael Valdez

Travis Chick

Scott Erickson

Jeriome Robertson

Cory Lidle

Elmer Dessens

Mike Venafro

Dan Wheeler

Freddy was a HUGE get, especially when you consider in the fact that he was mainly bidding against the Yankees.

Considering salary and hype, Garcia and Contreras were probably the 2 biggest names on the list.

And that we got Garcia to sign a 3 year deal after trading for him was a masterstroke, especially considering we only gave up a journeyman catcher, a 4th OF, and a fringe infielder.

Excellent trade that was by Kenny. He wins most of the time when he makes a deal as we've come to see here over the past few years.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 02:22 PM)
Not only that but how are Carpenter, Clement and Pavano bigger names than Freddy at the time?

Apparently you have to had made more than 2 all-star games, had more than 1 18 win season (by the age of 27), and have a lower ERA than 3.20 at the time of the trade. The Red Sox (or Yanks? or both?) wanted Freddy badly IIRC. If he would have went to to one of them instead, god knows how much of a hype Freddy would have gotten.

Edited by sircaffey

Alex Cora? No thanks.

Juan Uribe-2B-White Sox Jul. 24 - 5:23 pm et

According to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal, the White Sox would get back Alex Cora if they sent Juan Uribe to Boston.

Uribe is making $4.5 million this year, while Cora is at $2 million, so the teams would split the remaining difference in salaries if the trade got done. Rosenthal believes the White Sox could play Cora at second base, move Alexei Ramirez to short and trade Orlando Cabrera to the Dodgers for Derek Lowe. That seems a little far-fetched, though. The Red Sox obviously see Uribe as an upgrade from Cora, particularly since their need is at shortstop. Cora is sure-handed enough, but he doesn't have the same range as Uribe, even if Uribe has lost a step.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 12:39 PM)

Jeremy Griffiths

Dave Weathers

Gabe White

Denny Bautista

Jason Grimsley

Mike Wood

Octavio Dotel

Freddy Garcia

Jimmy Anderson

Gary Majewski

Jon Rauch

Mike Dejean

Scott Randall

Terry Adams

Todd Jones

Brad Penny

Josh Hancock

Andy Machado

Guillermo Mota

Felix Rodriguez

Bill Murphy

Bartolome Fortunato

Jose Diaz

Kris Benson

Jon Huber

Francis Beltran

Tom Martin

Esteban Loaiza

Jose Contreras

Ismael Valdez

Travis Chick

Scott Erickson

Jeriome Robertson

Cory Lidle

Elmer Dessens

Mike Venafro

Dan Wheeler

Brad Penny is the only other person you could put on the same level as Garcia and he was acquired as part of a big deal which included LoDuca and Mota (IIRC).

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 03:43 PM)
And that we got Garcia to sign a 3 year deal after trading for him was a masterstroke, especially considering we only gave up a journeyman catcher, a 4th OF, and a fringe infielder.

Excellent trade that was by Kenny. He wins most of the time when he makes a deal as we've come to see here over the past few years.

at the time, it was a future starting catcher, a future #2 hitter (comparable to Mark Kotsay), and a boom or bust middle infield prospect. Olivo's onto his 5th different organization and Jeremy Reed is comparable to Brian Anderson in terms of being a "bust" though still a very valuable player. Mike Morse, the throw-in of the deal, has arguably been the most productive player in the majors, though he's never been given a shot; he was also suspended for steroid use. Anything and everything pertaining to a Freddy Garcia trade makes KW's all-time top 5 best trades ever. He should sign him just to trade him again.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 06:54 PM)
If the plan was to trade OC for Lowe and have Cora play everyday, they might as well DL Crede, move Ramirez to third and call up Oney Guillen. That would be ridiculous. Give the Red Sox the better player and pay them the difference in salaries?

Dick, I literally could not agree any more with you. If KW makes that deal, Theo better atleast cuddle with him afterwards, because he is bending him over the table and sticking it to him. That's why I can't believe that's how it's happening.