Positive Paulie Thread

RockRaines

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 10:51 PM)
Swisher and Konerko have both been awful but at least Swisher has put together a decent month making you think he's got a pulse. Swisher has been more disappointing though because he was supposed to be one of our core guys for the future. Q's been a revelation but we still have very few quality players under 30 (Q, Jenks, Alexei, Buehrle, Danks, and Floyd).

Anyway, going back to Konerko, this made me chuckle (from Mark Gonzalez's mailbag):

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...1,5299442.story

One of the callers on the post game show made the same comment. And Rongey said that Paulie changed his diet and is looking thinner in the face because of it.

Personally I dont think Pauly was a user. I think however, he is a guy who gets so worked up over his performance that he can get himself sick.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 11:15 PM)
No, I would prefer Owens at CF and Swisher at 1B at this point.

Why you want a fast guy who doesnt get on base leading off and stagnating our offense. I would rather have Anderson. He cant hit, but man at least you know if the ball goes up, he is catching it. With our defensive issues lately, that would at least help solidify things.

Besides being bad in general Jerry Owens just got back in the lineup like 2 days ago after missing a couple weeks with injury. He has 9 XBH, isn't drawing walks, isn't hitting for average and has forgotten how to steal bases successfully. He now officially has 0 tools.

Paulie needs to be Billy Butler-ized. A couple weeks rehab stint in AAA to get his swing back. Or he needs to relax or see a shrink or ... something.

Swisher also sucks ass right now. The man is hitting what .220? Oh, he gets walks. Good for Swish.

Hopefully we'll somehow win with the rookie tomorrow and Paulie will hit 2 bombs and Swisher will get 4 hits. I can dream.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 08:31 AM)
He is a stud if you ask some people around here.

Paulie sucking has definitely gotten more of the fans attention but has anyone really looked at what Swisher has done in July? He is batting an awesome .186 with 4 extra base hits in 70 AB's. An OPS of .662. That's basically Jerry Owens like numbers without the threat of a stolen base. In fact, if you look further, Swisher has only one month this year where he has hit over .213. This month, Paulie actually has a better average (albeit a still sucky .218) and he has 3 extra base hits in 55 AB's. I guess my point is they both suck. I don't disagree with benching Paulie but I want Swisher's sorry a** on the bench too.

The Sox lineup has three weak links right now (very very weak) and the Twins have 0. That's pretty tough to overcome with mediocre pitching and defense that the Sox have. Right now, it would be nice for Fields, Konerko, and Swisher to be out of the lineup, but only one is possible and the one that brings the least to the plate (pun intended) is Konerko. He is a 0 tool player, although I would argue negative tool player with how bad he is doing in various spots. At least Fields can run and is a homer threat, and Swish can walk and get hot hopefully as he once did. How long do we have to wait Paulie out? Till we are three games back of the Twins. Make a drastic measure now and annoint Wise the starter in CF who has been a stud since he's been here and Swisher at first. Ozzie is a loyal guy which is good, but he is too loyal and Konerko is the worst starter in the majors right now (and no that is not a overreaction or stretch, he is). Name me one player that is worse and I will tell you that player brings something that Konerko doesn't. Sit him, he is costing major. He cost us two games before the break and having him hit after Thome is horrible because Thome is on base so much now.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 09:23 AM)
THere's nothing good to be said about Paulie. At this point, he's not a Major League Baseball player, and he's killed us since coming off the DL.

Considering Swisher doesn't have a hit on this roadtrip, maybe Paulie's replacement if he needs one, should come from somewhere else.

QUOTE (pcullotta @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 02:49 PM)
Paulie sucking has definitely gotten more of the fans attention but has anyone really looked at what Swisher has done in July? He is batting an awesome .186 with 4 extra base hits in 70 AB's. An OPS of .662. That's basically Jerry Owens like numbers without the threat of a stolen base. In fact, if you look further, Swisher has only one month this year where he has hit over .213. This month, Paulie actually has a better average (albeit a still sucky .218) and he has 3 extra base hits in 55 AB's. I guess my point is they both suck. I don't disagree with benching Paulie but I want Swisher's sorry a** on the bench too.

There's a reason not so many are calling out Swish...Paulie has still been much worse and we only have a replacement for one of them. Swish is still infinity better than having Konerko out there, even if they are both garbage. Unfortunately, a trade seems like an impossibility.

QUOTE (pcullotta @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 05:49 AM)
Paulie sucking has definitely gotten more of the fans attention but has anyone really looked at what Swisher has done in July?

Swisher also hit .315 with 7 jacks in June. I don't believe that Paulie's bat has been an asset for any significant period of time this season.

Paulie gets slammed because of his contract and the fact that he isn't worth much defensively. While Swisher is having a pretty weak season offensively, nobody expects him to hit 30-40 jacks and his low BA is less of a problem when he's not carrying a $60 million contract with 10/5 rights. Swisher is also a positive defensively and has exceeded expectations in CF this year. There are valid reasons why Swish is currently taking less heat from the fans than Paulie.

Assuming that Paulie's hand isn't throbbing with pain every time he picks up a bat, he's just going to have to work through his funk. Drop him to 8th in the lineup if need be. If his hand is still hurting and limiting him mechanically, shut him down.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 09:47 AM)
Read the title of the thread. Go bash Swish and Konerko somewhere else, this is a positive thread. If you have something positive to say, say it, otherwise dont hit the reply button. Got it?

Paulie blows.