Ken Griffey Jr. + Cash to the White Sox

joejoesox

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 02:40 PM)
I said maybe because you don't know if the Sox will offer him arbitration. If he does get offered arbitration I can see him being on less than a type B FA and I wouldn't be shocked to see him as a Type A (I expect a strong finish to the season for Griff).

As of October 1st he was a Type A, but I don't know how much that has changed since this list came out, and how switching leagues will affect the ranking:

RANK PLAYER

1 Matt Holliday 97.079 A

2 Albert Pujols 96.667 A

3 Carlos Lee 90.337 A

4 Ryan Howard 88.667 A

5 Brad Hawpe 87.191 A

6 Carlos Beltran 85.393 A

7 Lance Berkman 84.000 A

8 Alfonso Soriano 83.371 A

9 Todd Helton 83.333 A

10 Mark Teixeira 82.000 A

11 Moises Alou 80.899 A

12 Aaron Rowand 80.449 A

13 Jason Bay 78.090 A

14 Adam Dunn 77.303 A

15t Pat Burrell 76.404 A

15t Josh Willingham 76.404 A

17 Barry Bonds 75.955 A

18 Brian Giles 73.258 A

19t Milton Bradley 72.809 A

19t Ken Griffey Jr. 72.809 A

21 Austin Kearns 72.135 A

22 Prince Fielder 72.000 A

23t Adrian Gonzalez 71.333 A

23t Derrek Lee 71.333 A

25 Eric Byrnes 70.562 B

26 Jeff Francoeur 69.888 B

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/nl...-complete_N.htm

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 02:23 PM)
Putting him in CF is a huge mistake. I'm not crying about it, I just don't see why all the giddiness.

Unless he plays 1B, there isnt a whole lot to get excited about. We picked up a DH/corner OF'er who is basically a mistake fastball hitter at this point in his career who will be coming off the bench.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 01:22 PM)
Jersey # 17.

My favorite Sox to ever wear #17....

5XNOOyIy.gif

Carlos May was born May 17, 1948.

The back of his White Sox uniform read "May 17."

Just a little trivia...

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:47 PM)
Unless he plays 1B, there isnt a whole lot to get excited about. We picked up a DH/corner OF'er who is basically a mistake fastball hitter at this point in his career who will be coming off the bench.

Coming off the bench?

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 03:48 PM)
My favorite Sox to ever wear #17....

5XNOOyIy.gif

Carlos May was born May 17, 1948.

The back of his White Sox uniform read "May 17."

Just a little trivia...

He also hit a home run opening day one year, but failed to touch homeplate. He got credit for a triple and was called out.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 02:48 PM)
Coming off the bench?

Yes. If they put him in Cf one of two things will happen. 1. He will get hurt immediately. 2. They will clearly see he is worse in CF than Carl Everett on one leg.

In that situation, he will become basically Daryll Ward.

KW must not think CF is a defensive position which is odd considering his pursuit of Torii Hunter. Everett, Mackowiak, Swisher, now a 38 year old Griffey. That's not too much leather.

Swisher is a below average CF, but at this stage he is a much better defensive CF than Griffey. I'm a big proponent of excellent up the middle defense.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 03:40 PM)
I said maybe because you don't know if the Sox will offer him arbitration. If he does get offered arbitration I can see him being on less than a type B FA and I wouldn't be shocked to see him as a Type A (I expect a strong finish to the season for Griff).

Agreed. I thought you may have been implying he may not even be a type B FA. As for Griffey, he is definitely past his prime, on the down side, etc. but he is also only a year removed from posting a .868 OPS and he has been swinging the bat extremely well as of late. He may not be able to play CF anymore but I do think he is still has ability with the bat. I will be interested to see how the Sox handle this. Griffey cannot play CF everyday at this point in his career. Will Dye and Griffey see some time at 1b? I know both have limited experience there but both are obviously great athletes and it is not like Konerko has been stellar there this year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 02:51 PM)
KW must not think CF is a defensive position which is odd considering his pursuit of Torii Hunter. Everett, Mackowiak, Swisher, now a 38 year old Griffey. That's not too much leather.

Swisher is a below average CF, but at this stage he is a much better defensive CF than Griffey. I'm a big proponent of excellent up the middle defense.

Theres no way KGJ plays CF more than a few times. Just wait until everyone on here and the ESPN and 670 guys see how slow he is in the OF.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:55 PM)
Theres no way KGJ plays CF more than a few times. Just wait until everyone on here and the ESPN and 670 guys see how slow he is in the OF.

I have such little faith that Ozzie can handle this well. However, I'm excited to see what Griffey Jr. can do in KC this weekend. I'd actually like to see him bat 2nd.

So have there been any interviews yet about what the Sox are planning for him? Is he everyday centerfielder tiil he gets hurt and Swish/Paulie rotating at first base? Paulie and Thome rotating at DH? Any reports yet?

I wonder why we just didn't trade them Swish for Griffey head up. Somebody's going to be b****ing about playing time after this trade.

A positive is human nature will make Griffey want to excel with a new team. Maybe his old cf instincts will take over and he'll do well. He is a Hall of Famer. He must have skills to draw from.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:05 PM)
So have there been any interviews yet about what the Sox are planning for him? Is he everyday centerfielder tiil he gets hurt and Swish/Paulie rotating at first base? Paulie and Thome rotating at DH? Any reports yet?

I wonder why we just didn't trade them Swish for Griffey head up. Somebody's going to be b****ing about playing time after this trade.

A positive is human nature will make Griffey want to excel with a new team. Maybe his old cf instincts will take over and he'll do well. He is a Hall of Famer. He must have skills to draw from.

That would have been just a brilliant move...not!