Griffey Poll

Steve9347

What do you think of adding Griffey to the mix?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Happy to have some Junior?

• Loving it, we needed a CF, we got a Hall of Famer.
    • Didn't need him.
    • Like it if he plays RF/1B.
    • Still Confused.
    • I just like Steve.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 04:38 PM)
I guess the counter-argument I'll make is this. If Konerko can't majorly recover before the end of this year, then right now we're a better team than we were yesterday. Masset wasn't doing anything and hell, with the way Carrasco is pitching, frankly when Liney comes back from the DL we'd be wishing Masset had options left. Getting better for this year cost us $2 million in cash.

Losing Richar stings a little because now our middle infield is weaker next year. But if the team has some confidence in Getz, or spends some money to make another SS/2b happen (Uribe is available next year right?) then that is a manageable loss.

But...if we're smart about the arbitration deal...and Griffey doesn't retire, then either we've added in another bat for next year or we add in 1-2 draft picks in the late first-early 2nd round. I'd be ok with turning Richar and Masset in to 2 draft picks just on the face of it, let alone any upgrade it does bring the team.

I have a feeling we're going to be big time Furcal players in Free Agency. Furcal and Alexei is slick in the IF.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 04:41 PM)
I feel like O-dog is headed our way instead with Alexei at SS.

That.

I'd put down $5 that O-Dog is a White Sox next season... a nice short deal to work while we wait for Beckham (maybe 2 years.)

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 01:40 PM)
I have a feeling we're going to be big time Furcal players in Free Agency. Furcal and Alexei is slick in the IF.

I could see that, I'm not a huge fan of it though. Not at the kind of money he's probably going to want with the fact that he's missing the whole year with an injury. If his contract value comes down from the $13 mil a year the Dodgers were paying him to something around $10 or less for 3-4 years I could buy that, but I really think someone (Detroit?) is going to just dump money on him.

Man I really really really think putting Griffey in CF is a huge mistake, it's a shame we can't put him at another position. People forget we're second to last in the american league in errors, this could be monumentally bad for the team's defense, especially at one of the most demanding positions on the field

Don't let people fool you into buying the hype about "He could be rejuvenated.........!", just a load of bologne, he's gonna be bad. you know it, i know it, everyone knows it

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 04:38 PM)
I guess the counter-argument I'll make is this. If Konerko can't majorly recover before the end of this year, then right now we're a better team than we were yesterday. Masset wasn't doing anything and hell, with the way Carrasco is pitching, frankly when Liney comes back from the DL we'd be wishing Masset had options left. Getting better for this year cost us $2 million in cash.

Losing Richar stings a little because now our middle infield is weaker next year. But if the team has some confidence in Getz, or spends some money to make another SS/2b happen (Uribe is available next year right?) then that is a manageable loss.

But...if we're smart about the arbitration deal...and Griffey doesn't retire, then either we've added in another bat for next year or we add in 1-2 draft picks in the late first-early 2nd round. I'd be ok with turning Richar and Masset in to 2 draft picks just on the face of it, let alone any upgrade it does bring the team.

Good points.

How much more time does PK need to be benched? I don't think Ozzie will do it. Even if he does I would have liked someone a bit better in the OF if Swish does go to 1st and Griff to CF.

It sucks losing Richar not only because he makes us weaker in the infield, but we also gave up one of our top 10 prospects in Cunningham for him (although that may not say much). I don't mind seeing Getz get a chance though.

I actually think Masset can be a successful reliever. So I'm not so happy about losing him even though he has been having a rough time lately.

Edited by Whitewashed in '05

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 04:40 PM)

Alexei will be at SS next year. If furcal agrees to play 2B it could be possible but that's as likely as Griffey will win the GG is CF this year.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 03:36 PM)
Swish is 27(?) and has not had any previous leg injuries, saying Griffey is just as good as Swisher out there, well that's probably a fallacy, at least in terms of long-term production

Who cares about long term production? I wasn't commenting on that. Griffey will be patrolling center for the rest of this year, that's it.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 04:49 PM)
Good points.

How much more time does PK need to be benched? I don't think Ozzie will do it. Even if he does I would have liked someone a bit better in the OF if Swish does go to 1st and Griff to CF.

It sucks losing Richar not only because he makes us weaker in the infield, but we also gave up one of our top 10 prospects in Cunningham for him. I don't mind seeing Getz get a chance though.

I actually think Masset can be a successful reliever. So I'm not so happy about losing him even though he has been having a rough time lately.

It turns out to be Cunningham/McCarthy for Griffey/Danks. I make that deal now, yesterday, and 3 years ago.

QUOTE (Maxwell @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 03:50 PM)
Who cares about long term production? I wasn't commenting on that. Griffey will be patrolling center for the rest of this year, that's it.

regular playing time in CF until the season is over, to his legs might be long-term enough

I would bet that there will eventually be a 5 man rotation with 4 spots.

Swisher rotates between CF and 1B.

Dye between RF and DH.

Konerko between 1B and DH.

Thome will DH most often.

Griffey between CF, RF and DH.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 04:33 PM)
I would bet that there will eventually be a 5 man rotation with 4 spots.

Swisher rotates between CF and 1B.

Dye between RF and DH.

Konerko between 1B and DH.

Thome will DH most often.

Griffey between CF, RF and DH.

I think this is probably going to be right in the immediate future, but eventually I bet one of them will have to bite the bullet (likely either Paul or Swisher) and end up basically sitting out the end of the season when we're making that final push for the playoffs (and hopefully during the playoffs). Im in kinda a holding pattern on this trade, I love that we have Griffey - like many others have said today he is one of my favorite players ever and Im thrilled he is part of the Sox (even if its just for the rest of this year) - but he is coming to a team where he really doesn't have a position to take.

On the other hand - with Griffey, Dye, and Thome on the same team there is always a chance one of them goes down with an injury. If that happened we'd all be quite happy with this trade.

QUOTE (southsidehawkeye @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 05:16 PM)
I think this is probably going to be right in the immediate future, but eventually I bet one of them will have to bite the bullet (likely either Paul or Swisher) and end up basically sitting out the end of the season when we're making that final push for the playoffs (and hopefully during the playoffs). Im in kinda a holding pattern on this trade, I love that we have Griffey - like many others have said today he is one of my favorite players ever and Im thrilled he is part of the Sox (even if its just for the rest of this year) - but he is coming to a team where he really doesn't have a position to take.

On the other hand - with Griffey, Dye, and Thome on the same team there is always a chance one of them goes down with an injury. If that happened we'd all be quite happy with this trade.

Yup, it's difficult to see all of those guys making it thru the end of the season injury free.

I think it just dawned on me recently that Ken Griffey Junior is a member of the Chicago White Sox. That's like the next best thing to Barry Bonds, isn't it? or atleast close? right?

Regardless, that's still Ken Griffey f***ing Jr in a White Sox uniform tomorrow. Remember that. It may be the first and last time you'll ever see it in your life.

He doesn't fit into the current plan, and I hate him in CF, but he's an upgrade to Konerko, who I thought would have done atleast something by now (in case you hadn't noticed, he hasn't...maybe you've gotten an update from Jimbo), and Swisher's an upgrade at 1B. This also actually gets BA more involved late in games, unlike what some apparently think (not naming names though you merely have to look as I mentioned it in the actual trade thread). If he produces an .850 OPS and Konerko/Swisher puts up .750, you have yourself a team with a deep bench and a good lineup. I like this team going forward. I just hope Liriano blows out his arm in 2 weeks. Sadistic, yes...hopeful for a division winner, moreso than the future health of Francisco f***ing Liriano, who can blow his elbow out 22 times and I won't be saddened by one of them...figure out a new way to pitch or continue pitching in AAA.

f*** the Twins, celebrate KGJ