Plan for Danks?

fathom

What do you think the Sox should do with him the rest of the way? He seems to have hit a wall basically since the 7th inning of that great Red Sox start, and his stuff has been mediocre since then. I haven't looked at the schedule in terms of days off, etc., but I really don't want to "rest" him while we let Broadway pitch in crucial games.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 08:11 PM)
What do you think the Sox should do with him the rest of the way? He seems to have hit a wall basically since the 7th inning of that great Red Sox start, and his stuff has been mediocre since then. I haven't looked at the schedule in terms of days off, etc., but I really don't want to "rest" him while we let Broadway pitch in crucial games.

In his last 4 starts he has a 2.42 ERA. What wall are you speaking of?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 01:37 AM)
In his last 4 starts he has a 2.42 ERA. What wall are you speaking of?

Well, I know I'm not the only one who believes in this. Quality posters on this site have made mention of his high inning totals (compared to last year), as well as his inability to keep the ball down in his past few games.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 08:00 PM)
Well, I know I'm not the only one who believes in this. Quality posters on this site have made mention of his high inning totals (compared to last year), as well as his inability to keep the ball down in his past few games.

He was off tonight, but has been very good lately.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 08:03 PM)
He was off tonight, but has been very good lately.

This.

Tonight he was leaving his pitches up and just didn't look sharp. But I really haven't seen anything else that speaks to a "wall" he has hit. I don't know where someone would be getting that idea.

I hope he was on a good conditioning program in the offseason to help him with the long mlb season.

One thing to remember why he was getting slapped around last season late was everyone knew if he couldn't locate his curve he was a 2 pitch pitcher so they would just sit on the fastball when up in the count.

While searching for his minor league stats look at what I found.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/story/2007/3/30/15730/4086

I was actually thinking on Monday what if Broadway started tonight, pushing Danks (and all the starters for that matter) back a couple days. Obviously you want to limit the starts of Richard and Broadway, but what good is winning a game today if you put yourself in worst shape later. Danks could very well wear down big time come September, and not just where he'll struggle in the seventh, but struggle in the fourth. Broadway/Richard getting an extra start in August is better than having to use them in September for a tired Danks.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 03:08 AM)
This.

Tonight he was leaving his pitches up and just didn't look sharp. But I really haven't seen anything else that speaks to a "wall" he has hit. I don't know where someone would be getting that idea.

Ok, "wall" reference aside, what type of schedule should Danks be on the rest of the way? Keep him on the normal 4 day rest rotation?

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 07:00 PM)

I think a collapse from Floyd/Danks is inevitable as they will likely tire (maybe not a collapse, but some sort of hiccup). However, its hard not to say that Danks hasn't still battled and done a solid job (sans tonight). That said I've wanted to see the Sox be able to get both Danks/Floyd extra days of rest down the stretch because if they push these guys too hard there is a lot of statistical evidence which would indicate we'll see each of these regress (or get hurt) in the next year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 10:36 PM)
Ok, "wall" reference aside, what type of schedule should Danks be on the rest of the way? Keep him on the normal 4 day rest rotation?

fathom we are in a pennant race, who do you think would fair better in his place? You saw Braodway throw his 90 mile an hour heat tonight. So who would you want to replace a pitcher who has performed all year? We are one game up thats not much, why would you want another rookie to come in and start.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 11:19 PM)
I think a collapse from Floyd/Danks is inevitable as they will likely tire (maybe not a collapse, but some sort of hiccup). However, its hard not to say that Danks hasn't still battled and done a solid job (sans tonight). That said I've wanted to see the Sox be able to get both Danks/Floyd extra days of rest down the stretch because if they push these guys too hard there is a lot of statistical evidence which would indicate we'll see each of these regress (or get hurt) in the next year.

If thats the case, then we should expect most of the Twins rotation to collapse as well, oh and the Rays too.

Out of curiousity, is there anywhere that actually lists his pitch totals from last year (more specifically to this point in the year) versus this year? Just off of the top of my head I am remembering a lot of starts where Danks went 100-110 pitches, but only made it 4-5 innings. This year he seems to usually be hitting the 100 pitch mark a couple of innings later, usually in the 6th or 7th. It doesn't seem like his pitch totals are going up at all, just his innings pitched. I imagine that stat about the increase in innings is more to do with extra wear and tear on the arm, but if he isn't really throwing anymore pitches, is he getting really anymore wear?

Does anyone have the numbers to back me up, or to prove me wrong??? I really would like to know.

I have to believe Danks just had a bad game. Same with Broadway. Everytime a player, especially a pitcher, has a bad game we all start calling for their heads or assume they hit the wall and are now done for the season. Giving a picther a rest by skipping a start is not a bad idea, but to relegate them to the bench or mop up duty is a bit unrealsitic.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 08:48 AM)
I have to believe Danks just had a bad game. Same with Broadway. Everytime a player, especially a pitcher, has a bad game we all start calling for their heads or assume they hit the wall and are now done for the season. Giving a picther a rest by skipping a start is not a bad idea, but to relegate them to the bench or mop up duty is a bit unrealsitic.

Also the O's are a very good offensive team, its their pitching that sucks.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 10:01 AM)
Also the O's are a very good offensive team, its their pitching that sucks.

I dont think people totally understand that, I know coming in I had no idea how good they were. Roberts, Huff, Mora, Scott, Hernandez and Markakis are all good players and Millar's no slouch. I was surprised to see they had I think 4 or 5 .300 hitters in the lineup yesterday. That being said, both pitchers still pitched poorly. Also, after reading that TSN article whitesoxbrian posted, I believe Danks was just off, not that he hit a wall. It says in the article that if his motion is off he has a hard time not leaving the ball up, which was his problem yesterday. Unless I see this in his next two outings, I'm gonna say it was just a bad game.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 10:17 AM)
I dont think people totally understand that, I know coming in I had no idea how good they were. Roberts, Huff, Mora, Scott, Hernandez and Markakis are all good players and Millar's no slouch. I was surprised to see they had I think 4 or 5 .300 hitters in the lineup yesterday. That being said, both pitchers still pitched poorly. Also, after reading that TSN article whitesoxbrian posted, I believe Danks was just off, not that he hit a wall. It says in the article that if his motion is off he has a hard time not leaving the ball up, which was his problem yesterday. Unless I see this in his next two outings, I'm gonna say it was just a bad game.

The O's run total for the season is extremely close to ours.