Introducing the "new" Oklahoma City NBA franchise

knightni

The whole move still seems odd to me. Not saying a team can never leave a city, but this one just seemed to go down badly.

LOL, I just went and looked at the other names up for consideration, damn you are all right, those are horrible

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 07:02 PM)
Is this an NBDL team? Seriously, what a dumb name. Tornadoes would've sounded better and that sucks too. Why not do some sort of Cowboy thing, I know Texas has taken most of those names but I'm sure there's something out there.

Oklahoma State University's mascot is the Cowboys.

Texas Tech, which is close, is the Red Raiders, which is kinda a cowboy, at least the mascot is.

I think they had a great chance to come up with something really cool and this is what they came up with? Meh.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 09:55 AM)
Oklahoma State University's mascot is the Cowboys.

Texas Tech, which is close, is the Red Raiders, which is kinda a cowboy, at least the mascot is.

I think they had a great chance to come up with something really cool and this is what they came up with? Meh.

I forgot about OSU being the Cowboys, but I didn't want them to pick the Cowboys anyways. I don't like it when sports teams have the same name, like the Giants and Cardinals are both in baseball and football. I was hoping they'd pick something like the Marshalls or along those lines, but that name wasn't even mentioned. Instead they pick the Thunder, which sounds almost as bad as Iowa's new hockey team, the Iowa Chops. At least OKC continued with the lack of plurality such as the Jazz, Magic, and Heat. And in my opinion they should drop the "City" and just be the Oklahoma Thunder.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 01:45 PM)
I forgot about OSU being the Cowboys, but I didn't want them to pick the Cowboys anyways. I don't like it when sports teams have the same name, like the Giants and Cardinals are both in baseball and football. I was hoping they'd pick something like the Marshalls or along those lines, but that name wasn't even mentioned. Instead they pick the Thunder, which sounds almost as bad as Iowa's new hockey team, the Iowa Chops. At least OKC continued with the lack of plurality such as the Jazz, Magic, and Heat. And in my opinion they should drop the "City" and just be the Oklahoma Thunder.

But "OKC" looks cooler.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 01:45 PM)

I can think of some bad names from the indoor football league near me. The Bloomington Extreme is so named because of the Extreme Motors dealership that is a big sponsor. Another funny name to me is the Omaha Beef.