"Los Angeles Dodgers vs. Chicago Cubs NLDS"

Brian

All the pressure on the Cubs now, a loss and they're dead, a win and they still have to win one of two on the road or they're dead.

Very good points. Another way to look at it is the Cubs and Angels had it wrapped up early and tonight's losses will shock them back into reality and they'll be fine in the long run. We shall see.

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game was so slow paced that I fell asleep without knowing and woke up not too long ago.

I did manage to see the Manny HR. It's incredible how he just flipped the bat and made it seem like the ball was never going to come down. He has definitely turned that team's appearance into a contender and with a short series like this one, they can ride today's momentum into tomorrow's game and possibly go home with a 2-0 lead.

Even after the fact I would acknowledge that it (L) came via Lowe, while the Cubs were throwing miracle boy who must've eaten his veggies over the winter after being a welcome sight for opposing teams in the 9th over the past few years. Shorter series so a loss hurts, but again, I'd be stunned if LA walks out of this to get to lose to the Phils. I think tomorrow is more of a question mark than Harden, but I would bet the house that the game "5.2 innings of no hit ball" pitches the Cubs could probably waltz away with no matter who they start.

Precisely the reason I would have had Zambrano open, followed by Harden or Dempster. I admit, it's tempting to favor Dempster with his joke of a home record, but Lou isn't braindead... That golden parachute of a closer for the opposition (for what, 2 years?) doesn't just trip and fall on #1 starter status over the course of an offseason. If Ryan Dempter were a $100 bill, I would run a counterfeit pen over him, twice.

It's stupid s*** like that that causes my Cub fan friends and family to go insane.

Only the truly idiotic embrace the "curse" and all its manifestations.

There's nothing cute or romantic or mystical about losing.

Losing Sucks. Always has, always will.

Maybe if they treated these games as just GAMES, rather than exorcisms, goat executions, blowing up "cursed" baseballs and all that other nonsense, maybe they'd win a few of them.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 10:51 AM)
Maybe if they treated these games as just GAMES, rather than exorcisms, goat executions, blowing up "cursed" baseballs and all that other nonsense, maybe they'd win a few of them.

That's exactly what I mean. It's hard enough to try and get to/win a World Series just by winning the 7/11 games, but when you are trying to deal with all that other stuff, it makes it almost impossible, especially at the first sign of trouble.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Oct 1, 2008 -> 10:02 PM)
Yeah, I thought Wrigley Field had the intensity of an ordinary game. You really notice it when comparing to our game yesterday, for example.

And I know there weren't many opportunities for the Cub fans to be excited, but after the grandslam it was just dead.

I think instead of the usual rowdy assclowns at Wrigley you saw a different set of fans buying $500-2000 ripoff Wrigley playoff tickets. That's what happens when a team's ownership works in conjunction with scam brokers like they do... Granted '05 Sox post-season tix weren't exactly Monday walkups, but you still saw a representation of the real fan at that time.

Edited by SouthsideNorthsideFan

QUOTE (SouthsideNorthsideFan @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 05:04 PM)
I think instead of the usual rowdy assclowns at Wrigley you saw a different set of fans buying $500-2000 ripoff Wrigley playoff tickets. That's what happens when a team's ownership works in conjunction with scam brokers like they do... Granted '05 Sox post-season tix weren't exactly Monday walkups, but you still saw a representation of the real fan at that time.

This is what I thought as well. They have a large season ticket fanbase, and your bussed in from Iowa frat boy probably isn't one of them.