Remember Keith Law's preseason report on Floyd?

scenario

One of Law's posts...

"Gavin Floyd - Will he win 10-15 games for the White Sox this season? No. Saw him this spring - the plus-plus curveball he had as an amateur appears to be gone. Fastball is very true, and he’s in the league’s most HR-friendly ballpark. Get a good chiropractor, Gavin."

Another right after watching him pitch against Texas in a spring training game...

"Speaking of Floyd, he's gone backward since his days as a top prospect. The No. 4 pick in the 2001 draft -- one ahead of Mark Teixeira -- once had one of the best curveballs in the game, but it's dropped all the way to solid average, and he can't get consistent bite on it, throwing just one plus curve (to strike out Michael Young) during his outing. He doesn't command his four-seamer at 91-93 mph, and his straight changeup isn't going to fool hitters."

Nice going Keith. :o

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Oct 16, 2008 -> 01:32 PM)
Well, was anyone right on Floyd? Tough to see this one coming. Even within the Sox organization, I doubt many (if any) believed he'd win 17 games.

I don't think anyone saw him winning 15+, but I believe KW thought he could win 10+. Anytime the rotation was questioned KW just said the kids will be fine, Contreras is the key... He was right.

Yeah i remember ST he completely sucked, and i was pissed. But then i read an article that had coop saying that he looked great on the mound this ST. So i guess they were just makin him plug fastballs in there all day, knowing that his curveball was his best pitch.

Keith Law is also the one with some sort of weird vendetta against Alexei IIRC.

Also he's not a big fan of Quentin either. How that could possibly be, I don't know. Actually I'm getting the feeling he isn't a big fan of any decent White Sox player.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 16, 2008 -> 04:25 PM)
He isn't a fan of Williams, which means he is going to hate on pretty much anything White Sox. He is still bitter about the Wells trade.

Ever since Ricciardi ignored Law's objections and took Romero over Tulowitski in the 2005 draft he seems to of took an us against the world of GM'S mentality.

Well, was anyone right on Floyd? Tough to see this one coming. Even within the Sox organization, I doubt many (if any) believed he'd win 17 games.

There were a lot of people on this site bashing him last year. They didn't even want him occupying the 5th spot in the rotation because "he's got a career 7.00+ ERA". Young players often progress with experience. The kid was drafted 4th overall for a reason - he's got the talent.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 16, 2008 -> 03:00 PM)
Well, if he's telling the truth in saying that Floyd's curve didn't look great in ST, then you can't really blame him for saying he wouldn't have a good season.

Either that, or Law doesn't know what a good curveball looks like.

I've always been a fan. I remember a long discussion with someone who said they knew scouts who saw him in the minors and said he didn't have the stuff to get people out. Friends of mine in the minors said he had the stuff just couldn't put it together.

Although I didn't think he would win 17, I knew he could be a good starter. He needs to prove he can do it again and become a consistent pitcher that is what he lacked before.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 16, 2008 -> 04:00 PM)
Well, if he's telling the truth in saying that Floyd's curve didn't look great in ST, then you can't really blame him for saying he wouldn't have a good season.

How many people have good breaking stuff in ST ... In the thin air of AZ?

QUOTE (YASNY @ Oct 17, 2008 -> 08:17 AM)
How many people have good breaking stuff in ST ... In the thin air of AZ?

^^^^^^^^^^

Add on top of that, that Law was evaluating Floyd during his FIRST outing in spring training.

I'm not even sure Coop allowed him to throw a curveball in that game.

The normal ST process is that Sox starters only throw fastballs their first time out.

Might have been helpful if a guy like Law thought to take stuff like that into consideration rather than acting like it was midseason.

Sloppy scouting, if you ask me.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 16, 2008 -> 02:25 PM)
He isn't a fan of Williams, which means he is going to hate on pretty much anything White Sox. He is still bitter about the Wells trade.

This myth has been proven wrong about 1000000 times now. Law was about 8 months LATE to that party. Also, some of his "hate" for Alexei is true. Longoria > Alexei. No contest. I don't understand why some people think he would risk his career for a personal "hate" for the white sox.