Mets & White Sox Have Been Talking...

nitetrain8601

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 11:00 PM)
We see this rumor talk going around about trading Bobby Jenks and commenst about the Sox thinkig a kid at AA (Link) can step in and become the big league closer to replace Jenks. My thoughts on this is someone must have alot of time of their hands to dream, this stuff up. The Sox can'tg really be that far out are they?

Why is that so tough to imagine? Bobby was a 24 year old AA pitcher when he replaced Hermanson in '05.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Brewers are reversing course and apparently not going to spend big bucks on a FA closer...not even B. Lyon.

They feel that they've been "relatively" successful in the past with the likes of Cordero, Turnbow, Torres. Perhaps they also feel a little burned by spending money to give Eric Gagne one more chance to prove he's not the same pitcher he once was.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 08:00 PM)
We see this rumor talk going around about trading Bobby Jenks and commenst about the Sox thinkig a kid at AA (Link) can step in and become the big league closer to replace Jenks. My thoughts on this is someone must have alot of time of their hands to dream, this stuff up. The Sox can'tg really be that far out are they?

We've got Link, Thornton, and Dotel who could all be potential closers, even Linebrink or McDougal in a pinch. There's lots of options for us on that front so that if we get a great offer from another team for Jenks we might just jump right on it.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Nov 16, 2008 -> 02:58 AM)
We've got Link, Thornton, and Dotel who could all be potential closers, even Linebrink or McDougal in a pinch. There's lots of options for us on that front so that if we get a great offer from another team for Jenks we might just jump right on it.

MacDougal was the shakiest 21/24 I've seen in my life with KC one year...or half year...but his velocity isn't what it once was, consistently 95-98 MPH.

I will be surprised if Link even makes the team...you have a bunch of guys like Carrasco, Russell, Wasserman, Logan, now Jhonny Nunez....all in the mix for one or two spots. Maybe they'll give Link a legit look, we'll see. I will believe it when I see him on the Opening Day roster.

I don't think Linebrink should be moved out of set-up. It would be okay to try Dotel, Poreda or Link in the spring to see how they'd respond. There's a lot of conjecture and speculation about Thornton and how he'd do as a closer, but I'm not convinced yet.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Nov 16, 2008 -> 02:58 AM)

MacDougal was the shakiest 21/24 I've seen in my life with KC one year...or half year...but his velocity isn't what it once was, consistently 95-98 MPH.

I will be surprised if Link even makes the team...you have a bunch of guys like Carrasco, Russell, Wasserman, Logan, now Jhonny Nunez....all in the mix for one or two spots. Maybe they'll give Link a legit look, we'll see. I will believe it when I see him on the Opening Day roster.

I don't think Linebrink should be moved out of set-up. It would be okay to try Dotel, Poreda or Link in the spring to see how they'd respond. There's a lot of conjecture and speculation about Thornton and how he'd do as a closer, but I'm not convinced yet.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 06:29 PM)
Pelfrey had a decent season over here actually, and seemed to be finally living up to some of his potential. That sinker would work well at the Cell also.

Not that the Mets would give him up. He's not arbitration eligible yet IIRC, so he's cheap, and Minaya wants pitching. I think he'd rather give up more highly rated prospects than Pelfrey at this point because that team pretty much HAS to make the playoffs next season, and they're not going to give up major league talent that'll hinder them from doing that.

That's the key with the Mets. They can't get a second tier closer, with the pressure to win so great as they've failed two years in a row when they had the talent and high expectations to get to the playoffs. If they don't get K-rod, the next best available closer is Jenks. They might want Fuentes in set up. But Fuentes hasn't proven he can pitch in high pressure games. I don't know if other players would be added to a deal, such as Dye or Vazquez. But the sox should get a decent deal if the Mets miss out on some free agents.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 08:11 PM)
Why is that so tough to imagine? Bobby was a 24 year old AA pitcher when he replaced Hermanson in '05.

Did this comment come from the Sox org? I also don't think that we should compare Jenks situation with Links in the sense that they don't have the pure stuff. However, Link does have a nice fastball but I don't think I'd describe him of having "closer" stuff. I do think he has the potential to start as one of the last guys in the pen and eventually develop into a set-up type guy.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 08:17 PM)
The Brewers are reversing course and apparently not going to spend big bucks on a FA closer...not even B. Lyon.

They feel that they've been "relatively" successful in the past with the likes of Cordero, Turnbow, Torres. Perhaps they also feel a little burned by spending money to give Eric Gagne one more chance to prove he's not the same pitcher he once was.

I would honestly think if the Brewers were going to try and compete the Sox and Brewcrew could work a blockbuster deal involving Jenks. Brewers have a lot of nice chips and you could even expand to go after Prince Fielder (although Fielder's value is > Jenks in my book).

A couple of White Sox notes from Gammons:

• Ken Williams is one of the winter's most significant wheelers and dealers. He is marketing Javier Vazquez, Bobby Jenks, Jermaine Dye and others as he tries to overhaul the White Sox. The Mets are afraid of the red flag on Jenks, whose strikeout rate has dropped precipitously from 50 in 39 1/3 innings in 2005 to 38 in 61 2/3 innings this past season. And although GM Omar Minaya checked in on Sabathia, it does not mean the Mets will get into a bidding war with the Yankees for the 2007 AL Cy Young Award winner.

• Scouts in Arizona for the Arizona Fall League and the White Sox's minor league people are convinced that Gordon Beckham, the eighth pick in the MLB draft this past June, will be Chicago's everyday second baseman by June.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 16, 2008 -> 02:06 PM)

• Ken Williams is one of the winter's most significant wheelers and dealers. He is marketing Javier Vazquez, Bobby Jenks, Jermaine Dye and others as he tries to overhaul the White Sox. The Mets are afraid of the red flag on Jenks, whose strikeout rate has dropped precipitously from 50 in 39 1/3 innings in 2005 to 38 in 61 2/3 innings this past season. And although GM Omar Minaya checked in on Sabathia, it does not mean the Mets will get into a bidding war with the Yankees for the 2007 AL Cy Young Award winner.

Scouts in Arizona for the Arizona Fall League and the White Sox's minor league people are convinced that Gordon Beckham, the eighth pick in the MLB draft this past June, will be Chicago's everyday second baseman by June.

Funny how some scouts say this, yet according to some scouts he has "issues"

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 16, 2008 -> 01:23 PM)
Funny how some scouts say this, yet according to some scouts he has "issues"

That's because he went on an insane hitting tear about 2 days after the report saying he had issues.

Funny how issues go away when you're hitting. ;)

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 16, 2008 -> 11:51 AM)
I would honestly think if the Brewers were going to try and compete the Sox and Brewcrew could work a blockbuster deal involving Jenks. Brewers have a lot of nice chips and you could even expand to go after Prince Fielder (although Fielder's value is > Jenks in my book).

I'd love to get JJ Hardy...

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 16, 2008 -> 12:51 PM)

If the Sox could move Thome or even PK, Fielder would be perfect move. Jenks and Javy would be a start, though I'm sure they would want Poreda.

QUOTE (G&T @ Nov 16, 2008 -> 03:37 PM)
If the Sox could move Thome or even PK, Fielder would be perfect move. Jenks and Javy would be a start, though I'm sure they would want Poreda.

This list of Scott Boras clients is one of MLBTradeRumors' best contributions to the world of armchair GM's. Prince is on there, so no dice. The Sox won't give up the talent required if there's no hope for an extension. Boras is the reason the Brewers will trade him in the first place.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 16, 2008 -> 04:42 PM)
This list of Scott Boras clients is one of MLBTradeRumors' best contributions to the world of armchair GM's. Prince is on there, so no dice. The Sox won't give up the talent required if there's no hope for an extension. Boras is the reason the Brewers will trade him in the first place.

Not necessarily true. He'd be under control for a couple seasons and we've seen Uribe and Danks change agents. If not, then he could be moved for good value later. That said, you're probably right. In any event the Brewers would want younger pitchers than Javy. Like Danks and Floyd.

QUOTE (G&T @ Nov 16, 2008 -> 01:47 PM)
Not necessarily true. He'd be under control for a couple seasons and we've seen Uribe and Danks change agents. If not, then he could be moved for good value later. That said, you're probably right. In any event the Brewers would want younger pitchers than Javy. Like Danks and Floyd.

Interesting question RE your post. Would you trade Danks for Fielder straight up? Fielder has already shown he's got super stud status. Danks looks like he's quickly heading that way but is still an unknown having just one good season.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 16, 2008 -> 07:06 PM)

Scouts in Arizona for the Arizona Fall League and the White Sox's minor league people are convinced that Gordon Beckham, the eighth pick in the MLB draft this past June, will be Chicago's everyday second baseman by June.

If this is even remotely possible, the sox will stick with Getz/ Nix heading into 2009 and upgrade in the OF/ 3b.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Nov 16, 2008 -> 02:08 PM)
Interesting question RE your post. Would you trade Danks for Fielder straight up? Fielder has already shown he's got super stud status. Danks looks like he's quickly heading that way but is still an unknown having just one good season.

Frankly, no. I'd rather have the younger, in better shape, farther from arbitration, left handed pitcher.

Interesting stuff. Although I guess we already considered this information.

The Mets have been linked to Bobby Jenks. But the trade price for him - which almost certainly would have to include top prospect Fernando Martinez - makes this a no-go. Plus, Mets officials say they have "red flags" for: a. Jenks' strikeout rates plummeting from 11.44 per nine innings to 10.34 to 7.75 to 5.55 last year and b. why he is even available.

Or, as an AL official said, "What do the White Sox know about Jenks" that have them offering up a championship-proven, young, cost-effective closer?

One Mets official said, "Unless something changes, I would say the chances of us getting Jenks are close to zero. The price is too high and he isn't close to the top of our list."

Fox Sports

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (beck72 @ Nov 16, 2008 -> 02:28 PM)
If this is even remotely possible, the sox will stick with Getz/ Nix heading into 2009 and upgrade in the OF/ 3b.

This might be the case, but I think Kenny has a plan in mind and I do believe it is going to involve a young CF'er and potentially 2nd baseman (But if Beck is ready by than he could slide in at a plethora of infield positions).

Something might change. If Krod goes back to the Angels things get a lot more dicey. I would be all about a package centered around Fernando Martinez. He's the exact type of prospect I'd love to have in the system. Could you imagine and outfield with Danks/Martinez/Quentin in the future (assuming they all play at close to there potential). That would be a very good all around outfield (potentially speaking).