Alexei on move to SS, Viciedo...

caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 05:41 PM)
IMO, after an injury marred season where he couldn't even crack our roster...his value has gone down enough that it makes little sense to trade him right now. Unless a really good option comes along, give him a shot at 3rd, at worst in a platoon, and see if he can give us something like the 25 home runs he gave us 2 years ago if he spends next season healthy. Then he'll actually have a lot more usefulness in a trade.

Great points. I think if Fields is fully healthy this year he can hit anywhere from .255-265 with 25-30 HRs. That is pretty good production from the 8th or 9th spot in our lineup. Give the kid a chance to play. He's cheap too! Save that money for something huge!

Edited by GreatScott82

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 08:51 PM)
His agent said he was in great shape. Although looking at his agent, Refrigerator Perry looks like a marathon runner.

I was thinking that scouts tend to say things to drive interest and value down. Agents do the opposite. That is why I said, let's wait for him to take the field.

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 09:46 PM)
Yeah, that's one of the intriguing things about this kid, he's SUPPOSED to have a great arm. Maybe Cubano has more insight, but some of the reports have said he was a pitcher previously and threw upper 80's/low 90's but has given that up a long time ago.

That said, in current condition, Jermaine Dye would look like Roberto Clemente compared to this kid lumbering around out there.

In the juniors and with the cuban junior national team, he used to pitch. He had a 90 + MPH fastball. Kendry Morales was the same. He has played some RF in for his Villa Clara Orange team. He won't be new to the RF.

2007/08
POS  GP    INN    Outs   A    E    TL    AVE  DP
3B   53  394.1    22    98    7   127   .945   9  
LF    2    4.0     1     0    0     1  1.000   0  
RF    6   22.1     3     0    0     3  1.000   0 

2006/07
POS  GP    INN     O     A    E    TL    AVE   DP
3B   72  548.0    49   164   14   227   .938   18  
RF   33  222.0    27     1    2    30   .933    1

2005/06
POS  GP    INN     O     A    E    TL    AVE   DP
3B   47  338.0    31   108   10   149   .933   12  
CF    5   13.2     1     0    0     1  1.000    0  
RF   52  365.1    74     5    4    83   .952    1

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 06:07 PM)
Then why would they trade him, like you just said in your last post?

I said or meant to say he will be our starting 3b OR we will be better off trading him. There is no way Fields misses out on A starting 3b job this year either with us or someone else. If the Sox traded Crede last year, Fields would have been in there. They were also trying to trade him to the Florida Marlins for Cabrera last winter. KW has tried to find a starting job. If a young guy like Viciedo or Beckham is a better fit at 3b for us in '09, KW will finally trade him.

He deserves a starting job somewhere and KW knows it.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 01:48 AM)
Has anyone seen any updates on the Viciedo "sweepstakes," quotes from Torres or other teams about the workouts, etc.?

I was thinking there might be something in the Dominican press, but I haven't taken the time to search for it on the net.

FROM THE TRIB

Showcasing: The Sox remain strong contenders for 19-year-old Cuban infielder Dayan Viciedo, who recently completed a two-day workout at the facilities of the Sox and New York Yankees at their complexes in the Dominican Republic.

"There's a lot more interest than normal," said agent Jaime Torres, who hoped to complete negotiations by the end of next week.

Viciedo worked out at third and in right field in front of more than 100 scouts, Torres said. Viciedo has a strong arm and used to pitch for Cuba's junior national team. His fastball has been clocked at 93 m.p.h.

"He's a five-tool guy," Torres said.

"He's a five-tool guy," Torres said.

What Torres failed to mention is that three of those tools are a fork, a knife and a spoon.

Hope we get him though. The prospect of he and Alexei on that side of the infield is exciting as hell, and he may just eat himself over to RF/1B/DH just in time for Dye, Thome and Konerko's departure.

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 12:54 PM)
It seems like the price for Viciedo is going way up as the interest seems to have built to almost over hype now.I see the Sox falling out of this sweepstakes.

With the year lexi had last season most teams will send scouts to at least take a peak. I bet Torres is fielding calls from a bunch of teams on Viciedo. I think as long as the sox put in a competitive offer or another team doesn't come in and offer crazy cash, the sox will probably end up with him. I bet he'd take a little less money to play with lexi and count.

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 07:54 PM)
It seems like the price for Viciedo is going way up as the interest seems to have built to almost over hype now.I see the Sox falling out of this sweepstakes.

I heard yesterday that the Yankees were really interested. It would be interesting to see if they'd pay a fortune for another Cuban player after their bad experience with Contreras.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 01:26 PM)
There is no way Fields gets the ax on a starting position again this year. Either he starts with us or he gets traded. With guys like Getz, Beckham and maybe Viciedo waiting in the wings, it may make sense to trade him for the right price.

I'm going to hope that if he sticks around that the Sox really know that his health issues were the cause of his dissapointing season. I still am not the biggest FIelds fan because he has holes in his swing that will prevent him from being a perennial all star (unless he hits 45+ hr's a year) because he'll never hit for that great of an average. He does have good speed though for a 3Bman, upside (as much as I hate on the guy, he has the tools and is cheap and affordable).

f*** me, I don't want the Yanks or Boston in this equation. If they are out I don't see any other team making a type of offer that just blows Kenny away. Again I'm making an assumption that Kenny is interested and I truly hope he is.

This guy could be quite the outfielder or 3bman.

What I like about Torres is that he makes sure his client get the best contract based not only on money, but opportunity. The Yanks may come with a much higher offer. However, if a team like the White Sox offer him a MLB spot and a decent chance to compete for a job in ST, this is the better situation for a player. It does not have to be a starter, Viciedo can be playing 2 o 3 times a week to give Fields, Dye, Korneko, Sox DH a rest. Down the road, Viciedo will recieve a better contract when he becomes a free agent again. If he goes to the minors with the Yanks, it will be more negative long term for him money wise.

If Kendry Morales had signed with the Nats, he had been in MLB long time ago just in time when he is about to become a free agent. Now, he has limited MLB experience driving down his value.

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 10:06 AM)
So what the f*** is going on with Viciedo!? :unsure:

Torres said last week that he wanted to be done with it today, but it sounds like there was more interest than even he expected.

Arent Boston and New York set at 3B for the foreseeable future? I know they like to just pile on the talent, but it doesnt seem like Viciendo would get a fair shot to compete at the job with either of those two teams, and that could play pretty heavily into the White Sox favor.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 10:15 AM)
Arent Boston and New York set at 3B for the foreseeable future? I know they like to just pile on the talent, but it doesnt seem like Viciendo would get a fair shot to compete at the job with either of those two teams, and that could play pretty heavily into the White Sox favor.

Tores has said that Viciedo would play RF if he is paid extra. I'm sure the Yankees are overbidding for the kid.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 03:07 PM)
I was hoping we'd have some more info by now. I really hope we can sign this guy. It'd be a big dissapointment considering all the advantages we seem to have to lose out on him.

I was thinking the same thing. Quiet weekend on the south side.