Cora To Stay

Saufley

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 08:21 AM)
Always a bridesmaid, never a bride. I wonder how many times Joey has gotten interviews and failed?

He really wanted this job. He was jockeying heavily for it. (If someone looks like he can jockey, its Joey) He had Ozzie, KW and JR call on his behalf. The Mariners have a chance to actually be decent in time. I think Joey will eventually land a job where he's doomed to get fired after a couple seasons of losing. Pittsburgh, Baltimore, something like that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 09:30 AM)
He really wanted this job. He was jockeying heavily for it. (If someone looks like he can jockey, its Joey) He had Ozzie, KW and JR call on his behalf. The Mariners have a chance to actually be decent in time. I think Joey will eventually land a job where he's doomed to get fired after a couple seasons of losing. Pittsburgh, Baltimore, something like that.

The A's organization is developing quite a pedigree with Francona, Wash, Macha, and now Waka really branching out.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 10:05 AM)
The A's organization is develooping quite a pedigree with Francona, Wash, Mancha, and now Waka really branching out.

The Man from LaMacha...not to mention they incubated GM's Ricciardi and DiPodesta (not for long in LA), maybe I'm leaving a few others out.

Grady Fuson.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 10:28 AM)
The Mariners screwed this one up like they've screwed everything up the last couple of years. Cora would make a great manager.

I believe Seattle's new GM is going to implement a sabermetric approach...

So, the two guys they were most serious about were coaches from Oakland and Boston... guys already indoctrinated to that approach.

Edited by scenario

Good, maybe he can coach 3rd again and do things like wave AJ Pierzynski around on an infield single and get thrown out by 55 feet.

It's funny how sometimes third base coaches want to believe our plodders can somehow make it home on a single to left or center from second base. Then reality sets in and our only hope of getting the runner in is a horrible throw. Not complaining. Our home run era has been exciting, but the coaches at third need to get real and never get a plodder throw out.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)
It's funny how sometimes third base coaches want to believe our plodders can somehow make it home on a single to left or center from second base. Then reality sets in and our only hope of getting the runner in is a horrible throw. Not complaining. Our home run era has been exciting, but the coaches at third need to get real and never get a plodder throw out.

In their defense even slow guys can make it home on a liner to the outfield, usually. Cora just used to have me throwing things with his over-aggressiveness and wasted outs. Ugh.

Don't undersell the fact that Wakamatsu's Japanese heritage may have something to do with his selection also, the Mariners have been trying to appeal to the Japanese market and lost some of the focus when Daisuke came over, this will help get them in the headlines in Japan again and can help them in their efforts to sign more Japanese players. Probably not the PC thing to say, but the Mariners really seem to embrace the Asian/American and Japanese markets. So if you have two equal candidates that would be enough to decide it for me from a business standpoint.

I've been impressed by what little I've heard from Cora, and he was a pretty smart player.

However, he's a little runt. I do think it's important for a professional manager or head coach to be somewhat of a physical threat to his players. It rarely comes to that, but the threat should be present in my opinion. I think there's a good chance that players would take advantage of little Joey.

Whatever the case, Cora needs to be more fan friendly. I've got a single-signed W.S. ball of everyone who was in uniform for us even for one game in 2005...everyone that is except Cora. I've talked with other collectors who have had the same problem with him. It's not like the guy is hounded for autographs. Yet he's completely ignored me a couple times after I asked him politely when he walked right in front of me after batting practice. Weird.

QUOTE (BainesHOF @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 05:28 PM)
I've been impressed by what little I've heard from Cora, and he was a pretty smart player.

However, he's a little runt. I do think it's important for a professional manager or head coach to be somewhat of a physical threat to his players. It rarely comes to that, but the threat should be present in my opinion. I think there's a good chance that players would take advantage of little Joey.

Whatever the case, Cora needs to be more fan friendly. I've got a single-signed W.S. ball of everyone who was in uniform for us even for one game in 2005...everyone that is except Cora. I've talked with other collectors who have had the same problem with him. It's not like the guy is hounded for autographs. Yet he's completely ignored me a couple times after I asked him politely when he walked right in front of me after batting practice. Weird.

Based on what you just wrote here, I'd ignore you too. He's a little runt? WTF is up with that. Were ever s starter on a ML baseball team? Have you ever interviewed for a manager's position on a MLB team? Accomplishment-wise, who's the runt?