ESPN radio reporting Mets/White Sox talks heating up...

Fantl916

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 11:10 AM)
Also I think we can assume Viciedo will be at the major league level for as much as possible next year, getting used to his Cuban support team.

You know what they say about assumptions. We’ve got Fields, Betemit, and Nix. Plus the possibility of a trade for a third basemen. We’ve got no real need to invest in Viciedo performing at the Major League level at this particular juncture.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 12:49 PM)
They make an ass out of Thunderbolt?

We're all in this one together, my friend. I love Viciedo as much as the rest of you guys, but he's about 9 years younger than Alexei, and a lot less of certainty to perform at the MLB right now. There’s no reason to rush him unless we have to

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 09:53 AM)
Iwamura and Niemann, then.

So we trade our second-best hitter to block our best prospect and pick up a project who would most likely end up battling for the last spot in the bullpen?

If we trade Dye we need to get back pitching that can help us right now. Jackson + Niemann for Dye would work for me. Iwamura is a waste.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 12:57 PM)
So we trade our second-best hitter to block our best prospect and pick up a project who would most likely end up battling for the last spot in the bullpen?

If we trade Dye we need to get back pitching that can help us right now. Jackson + Niemann for Dye would work for me. Iwamura is a waste.

We need a leadoff hitter. Who would you suggest?

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 02:30 PM)

In house? Ramirez, Anderson, Getz, and (shudder) Owens. We don't have to follow the traditional definition of a leadoff hitter. We need someone to get on base, and accept an extra AB every game. You don’t always have to find a leadoff man, you can create one. It’s a spot in the batters order nothing more and nothing less. While it would be excellent to have a Roberts or a Dejesus setting the table every day, we certainly shouldn’t give up a king’s ransom to do so.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 09:18 AM)
He's a poor LF at that.

He's got a lot of Podsednik in him.

I remember a game when the Sox faked him out of his shoes last year.

They faked him out and induced a soft toss a throw to 2nd, IIRC, and the Sox runner went to 3rd, then scored because he threw behind him.

That's funny because DeJesus carries a reputation for being a pretty good LF and he rated near the top of all ML LF in plenty of defensive metrics in 2008 (PMR had him #2). The one knock on him is his weak arm (ranked near the bottom in Runs/200 (runs saved per 200 opportunities) among CF in 2007) but he makes up for it with excellent range, getting to balls that just about no other LF can. Then you take into account the fact that LF isn't even a real defensive position, it's typically used as a hiding place for a player who can't play a real defensive position like CF or infield (sans 1B), doesn't have the arm for RF and isn't as good as the incumbent 1B but is valuable enough on offense that he must be kept in the lineup. So you ask yourself how someone can possibly be a poor LF when the position is generally occupied by the defensively challenged. But if you saw him get faked out one time . . .

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 02:38 PM)
DeJesus is not a table setter.

.360 OBP (.73 IsoD), good speed, WELL above average contact rate and can knock himself in from the top? Works for me. The one argument you can make, much like Alexei Ramirez, is that he's more valuable down in the lineup where he can make better use of his above average RISP numbers and drive runners in rather than wasting that ability hitting him after #8 and 9 hitters.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 01:30 PM)

Iwamura isn't a prototypical lead-off hitter anyway. As far as who I would suggest, I'd suggest making Chris Getz a lead-off hitter before I'd trade 30+ home runs in Dye for a guy that is going to just block Beckham. If we don't end up with a prototypical lead-off guy this year then oh well. We don't necessarily need one, although it would be great to have one. More than anything we need better contact and smarter hitters. We need guys who will actually look to hit to the opposite field every once in a while. But somehow while doing that, we've got to continue to develop a new core. So, I guess I'd recommend a stop-gap option like Mark Kotsay or Willy Taveras in CF, since that is one area we cannot fill with Major League ready prospects.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 04:32 PM)
Here is something: Billingsly broke his leg and will be out awhile. I would love to make a deal around Javy for Kemp.

Eh, if you consider December and January "awhile" then I suppose.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...rtnerId=rss_mlb

LOS ANGELES -- Dodgers right-hander Chad Billingsley suffered a broken left fibula Friday night when he slipped on ice in front of his home in Reading, Pa.

Billingsley, 24, sustained a spiral fracture of the fibula, the smaller of the two bones in the shin, according to the Dodgers. Orthopedic surgeon Dr. Paul Neuman, after consulting with Dodgers surgeon Dr. Neal ElAttrache, inserted a plate in an operation Saturday to allow for the fracture to heal. Billingsley's landing leg will be in a cast for two weeks.

The Dodgers reported that the surgery went as planned and the club expects Billingsley to be healed and available to begin throwing bullpen sessions at the beginning of Spring Training and to be ready for the 2009 season.

Also, Javy refuses to play for any team on the West Coast and has the no trade protection to back it up and you gotta figure the Dodgers can get better value than Javy Vazquez for an all world talent like Matt Kemp.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 05:05 AM)
Does anyone think KW may go after Edmonds to play CF? He tried trading for him last offseason and Edmonds refused, although if you hear Edmonds explaination of it, he had like an hour to decide which wasn't enough time. He was horrid with SD, but if you look at his numbers with the Cubs in 250 AB, he gives you about what you would expect Swisher, best case scenerio to give you in 150 AB even at 39. Perhaps a stop-gap solution to CF.

Edmonds isn't a bad option in a platoon type role if the Sox make upgrades at other areas.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 23, 2008 -> 01:44 PM)
Eh, if you consider December and January "awhile" then I suppose.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...rtnerId=rss_mlb

Also, Javy refuses to play for any team on the West Coast and has the no trade protection to back it up and you gotta figure the Dodgers can get better value than Javy Vazquez for an all world talent like Matt Kemp.

Javy also rejected a deal to LA when the Yanks were trying to deal him, IIRC.