Rumors: Sox/Reds Talking Dye for Bailey Swap

Dick Allen

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jimmywins1 @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:45 PM)
Is that Rotoworld saying we won a trade?!?!

not necessarily....just as both teams can "win" a trade (tip of the cap to adam smith) both teams can also "lose" a trade....rotoworld i think is just saying Dye makes 0 sense for the reds because htey only have him for 1 year and still won't likely contend during that year, so why even give up on bailey?

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 08:24 PM)
Even though I'd have to say this is some of the best baseball conversation we've had on this board, everything said in this could be mute if OC doesn't decline within the next 150 minutes.

Well, if the Sox get stuck paying OC this year, wouldn't that make it even more likely that this trade (Dye for a cheap young pitcher) goes through?

I guess it would make it a little less likely KW tries to fill the OF or LOH slots with an expensive FA though.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 02:48 AM)
Well, if the Sox get stuck paying OC this year, wouldn't that make it even more likely that this trade (Dye for a cheap young pitcher) goes through?

I guess it would make it a little less likely KW tries to fill the OF or LOH slots with an expensive FA though.

Exactly, I think some of us are excited by the possibilities this opens up. I don't think anyone is excited about the 10 million dollar addition being OC.

The one flaw in KW's moves is our defense:

Swapping Ramirez for Cabrera probably isn't an improvement

Lillibridge at 2B might be better than Ramirez, but Alexei was pretty solid, especially the first 3-4 months before he wore down

RF should improve if Quentin's there

3B definitely will be going downhill compared to Crede/Uribe

LF could be a mess...

That's not a great way to build the confidence of a young pitching staff!

Something has to be done to shore up the middle of the field...Furcal at SS, Alexei back at 2B and Taveras/Lillibridge/Anderson in CF would make me feel a quite a bit more confident.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:46 PM)
I would have taken Bailey for Dye in a 1 to 1 last season, not so sure this season.

And I dont think this is a done deal right now. Just a hunch. But I wouldnt be surprised to see us give the Reds cash and also get another low spect or someone else.

Rock Raines, who is the girl in your avatar?

It looks like a cross between Rachael Leigh Cook and Alyssa Milano.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 08:50 PM)
The one flaw in KW's moves is our defense:

Swapping Ramirez for Cabrera probably isn't an improvement

Lillibridge at 2B might be better than Ramirez, but Alexei was pretty solid, especially the first 3-4 months before he wore down

RF should improve if Quentin's there

3B definitely will be going downhill compared to Crede/Uribe

LF could be a mess...

That's not a great way to build the confidence of a young pitching staff!

Something has to be done to shore up the middle of the field...Furcal at SS, Alexei back at 2B and Taveras/Lillibridge/Anderson in CF would make me feel a quite a bit more confident.

If this goes through I don't think KW is particuarly worried with next year no matter what.

I think he's willing to take a hit in a down economy of a terrible year to contend in 2010 on

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 08:27 PM)
My totally inaccurate and spur-of-the-moment Sox starting lineup for 2009 is:

1- Furcal SS

2- Ramirez 2B

3- Quentin LF

4- Thome DH

5- Konerko 1B

6- Abreu RF

7- Fields 3B

8- AJP C

9- Taveras CF

I would flip Abreu and Ramirez in that lineup -- and probably AJ and Fields as well. That lineup looks pretty good to me. If the pitching comes through, that lineup is a winner.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:55 AM)
I dont agree. I think it confirms that the Sox are getting one more player besides Bailey and that the Sox are picking up some of Dye's contract.

Yep, what do people expect to actually read in an article like this. KW might have quickly responded to this due to his negotiations with other parties.