Rumors: Sox/Reds Talking Dye for Bailey Swap

Dick Allen

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does everyone think about Mark Grudzielanek? He can be our starting 2B, and he'd probably only cost around $3 million per year for 2 years. Last year, he hit .300 with a .345 OBP. He's a very viable #2 or maybe even a #1 guy.

I've never really paid attention to his defense, though.

Yes or no?

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 11:10 PM)
What does everyone think about Mark Grudzielanek? He can be our starting 2B, and he'd probably only cost around $3 million per year for 2 years. Last year, he hit .300 with a .345 OBP. He's a very viable #2 or maybe even a #1 guy.

Yes or no?

No reason to create even more of a cluster and hold back the youngsters.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 08:10 PM)

Yes or no?

No, I'd like to think that one of Getz, Betemit, Lillebridge, or Nix will be able to give us good production from that position.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 10:11 PM)
No, I'd like to think that one of Getz, Betemit, Lillebridge, or Nix will be able to give us good production from that position.

I would, too, but I'd prefer to have a guy in there that we know is going to hit .300 with a solid OBP.

Plus, maybe in 2 years, then Nix, Lillebridge, or Getz will be fully ready.

QUOTE (tommy @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 10:07 PM)
10:06pm: Walt Jocketty on the report: "Wrong. It's not even close." The Reds haven't had talks with the Sox since before Thanksgiving.

from MLBtraderumors.com

That's a pretty strong denial. JD will be spoken of highly for decades, but Bailey is quite an arm and I just know KW will use JD's money to improve the team with a free agent. I hope the trade goes down this week.

Yes or no?

No, but he's not bad. He gets hurt a lot. He's too old.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 10:18 PM)
Nix is already 26. He needs to put it together now if he ever wants a shot to be a regular.

At this point, Lillibridge and Getz need major league AB's. Getting AB's in AAA isn't really benefiting either player at this point.

Getz will start and hold the position. The kid can hit. He's a twins-type hitter.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 10:23 PM)
Getz will start and hold the position. The kid can hit. He's a twins-type hitter.

Rock, how is Getz on defense? How would you compare his D with that of Iguchi or TCM at 2B? How good is he at turning the DP?

Thanks.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 10:07 PM)
And so was Bailey before like 2007.

So why does everyone hate this trade?

^!

You have no idea how much I hope this trade happens. I am in LOVE with the idea of Bailey coming to the Southside. He's pitched a total of 81.2 f***ing innings in the Majors! Why does more NEED to be included? We would get Bailey and NOT have to pay Dye's contract. Sounds good to me.

I think that entering into spring training; Getz’ll be the clear favorite. That being said, after watching some video of Lillbridge I think he’ll give him a run for his money.

As for the, Dye deal I wouldn’t be averse to trying to milk the deal for all it’s worth by including Wasserman or an equivalent arm for another prospect alongside Dye. The Reds are looking for upgrades in the bullpen, and they have a lot of good corner bats coming up that are expendable due to Votto and Alonso.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:18 PM)
The trade I understand, but as of today this team will not be in contention for a division title IMO. :gosoxretro:

Name me one team in our division that’s certifiably better than us at the moment. Its one thing to be speculative, but we can’t be overly pessimistic. This is baseball, people age; these moves need to happen sooner or later. If this deal happens it’s for one reason only: to get better immediately and for the future.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 11:18 PM)
Name me one team in our division that’s certifiably better than us at the moment. Its one thing to be speculative, but we can’t be overly pessimistic. This is baseball, people age; these moves need to happen sooner or later. If this deal happens it’s for one reason only: to get better immediately and for the future.

With confidence, I could say that the Twins are better than us. They don't have any questions in their rotation like we do. They also have a better outfield of Cuddyer/Young, Gomez, and Span compared to Quentin, Owens/Anderson, and ??? (if Dye is in fact traded).

Edited by jenks45monster

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 11:23 PM)
With confidence, I could say that the Twins are better than us. They don't have any questions in their rotation like we do. They also have a better outfield of Cuddyer/Young, Gomez, and Span compared to Quentin, Owens/Anderson, and ??? (if Dye is in fact traded).

really? The twins are solid 1-5 rotation, huh? Thats news to me, I'll put our 1-3 against theirs any day of the week.