Rumors: Sox/Reds Talking Dye for Bailey Swap

Dick Allen

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 07:47 PM)
I wonder if we will be hearing about a signing of Abreu or someone like that now that Dye is traded??

Why do people think we will backfill payroll. Thats not what is happening here. We are getting much younger and cheaper and plan to have a good team in 2010.

QUOTE (quickman @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 07:36 PM)
Why do people think we will backfill payroll. Thats not what is happening here. We are getting much younger and cheaper and plan to have a good team in 2010.

I think that it's a tough sell for the fans if you cut payroll by about 30 mil AND increase season ticket prices 11% while hurting your team's chances of competing in 2009. I think that they'd have to at least spend some of the savings just as a show of good faith to the fans.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:37 PM)
Maybe this trade happening is contingent on some other things being done first, hence the denials.

It seems like something in that vein. I found the Reds denial of "We haven't talked to the White Sox since we've arrived in Las Vegas" particularly unimpressive....

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 07:49 PM)
Just a terrible, gross trade. The rumors about the Sox having huge financial issues are becoming more accurate by the day.

fathom we will not be back filling payroll, we are totally rebuilding, cutting payroll. The Sox are a blue collar team, and the economy right now is not great for a blue collar crowd. Look for 2010. In the meantime we are trying to pick up some higher end players that are suppose to be ready. This trade though needs more from cinci even though Homer Bailey was arguably one of the best pitching Prospects in 2005 and 2006.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:38 PM)
I think that it's a tough sell for the fans if you cut payroll by about 30 mil AND increase season ticket prices 11% while hurting your team's chances of competing in 2009. I think that they'd have to at least spend some of the savings just as a show of good faith to the fans.

leaving ticket prices the same doesn't mean more fans will come. I would argue that those fringe fans (moneywise) would not be renewing anyway this year with the economy the way it is. I also think that casual baseball fans will not be showing up as walk ups like usual.I think the sox know this already. In addition they are old and slow. Its the perfect time to dump high priced players for some young talent and again plan for an infused team after the economic crisis eases (2010) Personally the only thing I don't like about this trade is the return. I don't think its enough. If Freel was involved at least you have a leadoff hitter. Freel and Bailey would be my choice.

By the way - Tampa's payroll - Low - they were right there, Twins payroll much lower than ours- They were just as good as us. Marlins always have a low payroll - they are always competitive. In these times build a new nucleus of players. I know many here are young, I saw my parents struggle in Viet Nam times, I saw 16 percent inflation in the late seventies, and cars lined up for gas at pumps that didn't have gas, but let me say what is happening now (just starting) will far outweigh anything anyone on this board will see for along time. I think the sox know this, and they know the tendency of there fan base.

QUOTE (quickman @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:41 PM)
fathom we will not be back filling payroll, we are totally rebuilding, cutting payroll. The Sox are a blue collar team, and the economy right now is not great for a blue collar crowd. Look for 2010. In the meantime we are trying to pick up some higher end players that are suppose to be ready. This trade though needs more from cinci even though Homer Bailey was arguably one of the best pitching Prospects in 2005 and 2006.

How do you know this? Do you have sources?

QUOTE (quickman @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 07:53 PM)
leaving ticket prices the same doesn't mean more fans will come. I would argue that those fringe fans (moneywise) would not be renewing anyway this year with the economy the way it is. I also think that casual baseball fans will not be showing up as walk ups like usual.I think the sox know this already. In addition they are old and slow. Its the perfect time to dump high priced players for some young talent and again plan for an infused team after the economic crisis eases (2010) Personally the only thing I don't like about this trade is the return. I don't think its enough. If Freel was involved at least you have a leadoff hitter. Freel and Bailey would be my choice.

By the way - Tampa's payroll - Low - they were right there, Twins payroll much lower than ours- They were just as good as us. Marlins always have a low payroll - they are always competitive. In these times build a new nucleus of players. I know many here are young, I saw my parents struggle in Viet Nam times, I saw 16 percent inflation in the late seventies, and cars lined up for gas at pumps that didn't have gas, but let me say what is happening now (just starting) will far outweigh anything anyone on this board will see for along time. I think the sox know this, and they know the tendency of there fan base.

i'm not saying that you have to spend big to win, the yanks have shown this to us numerous times. I'm just saying that jacking up ticket prices and cutting salary significantly is a tough sell

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:51 AM)
I think Lillibridge and Getz are both pretty decent options at 2B, not to mention Betemit could play 2B in a sinch if need be.

Nothing about Lillibridge's performance in 2008 makes him a viable option to start at 2B with the White Sox in 2009.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:49 PM)
why do people still go on saying 2B is a hole? My god, you'd think Getz, Lillibridge, and Nix weren't on the team.

I agree.

Getz will be fine. Beats overpaying for a more experienced 2b

Lillibridge will be no worse than a very good utility player.

2B is not an issue.