Rumors: Sox/Reds Talking Dye for Bailey Swap

Dick Allen

Twins rotation right now is at top of divsion due the consistency they have and it showed last season. I didnt think twins rotation at begining was all that great. But, they got some good looking kids in that rotation.

Detriot right now is a mess. But positive for them they will have gallaraga, verlander and hopefully for them bonderman.

Royals still devloping but davies and greinke are real deal.

Clev looks to try and develop young starters with westbrook and lee.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so fast … Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune is reporting that the swap of Jermaine Dye for Homer Bailey isn’t true. Gonzales writes:

A source familiar with the talks rejected a report in the Dayton Daily News quoting a “major-league source close to the situation” that a deal to send Sox right fielder Jermaine Dye to Cincinnati for pitcher Homer Bailey “was done and would be announced this week.”

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 11:34 PM)
Twins rotation right now is at top of divsion due the consistency they have and it showed last season. I didnt think twins rotation at begining was all that great. But, they got some good looking kids in that rotation.

Detriot right now is a mess. But positive for them they will have gallaraga, verlander and hopefully for them bonderman.

Royals still devloping but davies and greinke are real deal.

Clev looks to try and develop young starters with westbrook and lee.

The feeling that the Twins are some godly team is only felt by us because we have to hear over and over how "grindy and piranha like" they are. They played like crap down the stretch and had a ridiculously (ie lucky) high BA with RISP and 2 outs.

I will still say the "kids" in our rotation/system are better than theirs.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 11:38 PM)
The feeling that the Twins are some godly team is only felt by us because we have to hear over and over how "grindy and piranha like" they are. They played like crap down the stretch and had a ridiculously (ie lucky) high BA with RISP and 2 outs.

I will still say the "kids" in our rotation/system are better than theirs.

And get 'em out of that piece of s*** dome too and see what they are.

As for this deal if it's true...not crazy to see JD go...but somebody out of Thome, Paulie and JD has to go. JD was the most attractive to deal and if it's for Baily I'll be pretty happy with this.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 11:26 PM)
really? The twins are solid 1-5 rotation, huh? Thats news to me, I'll put our 1-3 against theirs any day of the week.

I didn't say that their 1-3 is better than ours. I'm just saying we still have 2 question marks in our rotation. If we put Marquez and Richard in the back of our rotation, then yes, they do have a better overall rotation than we do.

i never said twins are godly... I just said they have best starting pitching staff in central divsion at the moment. That can change as offseason goes along. But for w sox we are not there because we dont even have 4th or 5th starter yet. I will give credit when credit is do and they have developed a decent pitching staff in a year where no one even heard of most of them.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:01 AM)
I don't like to go THIS FAR out onto a limb, especially when I am in a rational mood like tonight. However, if true and this is a 1 for 1 swap, this would be the Sox dumbest trade since I began following the team almost 15 years ago. I pray to God this isn't true.

What a shock! I'm sure we could bump both Danks/Floyd trade threads and find at least 50 different posters saying the same thing.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:04 AM)
What a shock! I'm sure we could bump both Danks/Floyd trade threads and find at least 50 different posters saying the same thing.

I have given Kenny my fair (and unfair) share of criticism, but one thing I have always done is defend his trades. This trade, however, would be absolutely indefensible.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:07 AM)
I have given Kenny my fair (and unfair) share of criticism, but one thing I have always done is defend his trades. This trade, however, would be absolutely indefensible.

How so? We get 11+ mil off the books (which hopefully = signing a FA) and a fixer-upper top pitching prospect for 6 years. You can effectively replace most of Dye's production with a cheaper FA. Dye also isn't getting any younger and I honestly don't know how much longer his legs will last him.

I'm all for this trade as long as it also means we sign (one of) Abreu, Furcal, Dunn, etc.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:10 AM)
Care to elaborate? This should be good.

It's a salary dump for a young guy whose stuff has deteriorated drastically the last two years, and his hits and k/9 ratios reflect that. I have no problem trading Dye, but to get only this in return is simply inexcuseable.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:16 AM)
It's a salary dump for a young guy whose stuff has deteriorated drastically the last two years, and his hits and k/9 ratios reflect that. I have no problem trading Dye, but to get only this in return is simply inexcuseable.

All sources point to groin/knee issues and also the Reds organization telling him to work on his secondary stuff...

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:16 AM)

And whats wrong with trading an older guy in his last year for a former #1 prospect in baseball who we have been proven to 'fix' + signing a FA with the money saved?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:37 AM)
All sources point to groin/knee issues and also the Reds organization telling him to work on his secondary stuff...

I would HOPE that is the case, because I saw him in person four times (three major league, one minor league) start the last two years and he never got above 92 on the gun. Obviously, those experiences make me very biased against him, but to get THAT for Jermaine Dye straight up would be something I can't fathom.

I KNOW I should trust Kenny on the trades, he has a great record with them and even chicken little me has done so in the past. But I can't ignore my own eyes.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:38 AM)
And whats wrong with trading an older guy in his last year for a former #1 prospect in baseball who we have been proven to 'fix' + signing a FA with the money saved?

I have no problem trading an older guy, saving money, and signing a FA with the money saved. I don't even have a big problem trading an older guy, getting young talent, and not spending all that much. But we should get more than a former (keyword there is former) #1 prospect whose stuff has died the last two seasons.

I wasn't much for the Swisher trade, at all, but Dye is getting older, and in this proposed trade we'd be getting someone who was ranked right at the top 100 innings ago, something Cooper is familiar with. I would have been even more of a fan had Kenny not decided that Wilson Betemit needed to play on this team. You're trading Dye at a sort of high point in value, offset a bit by his age, but the last few years production wise have been huge. You traded a young Swisher coming off potentially a worst case scenario year with a small/reasonable salary. In Dye's case it nets promise, in Swish's case, it nets the loss of someone who could have stepped in for Dye and a McDonald's happy meal.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:40 AM)
I have no problem trading an older guy, saving money, and signing a FA with the money saved. I don't even have a big problem trading an older guy, getting young talent, and not spending all that much. But we should get more than a former (keyword there is former) #1 prospect whose stuff has died the last two seasons.

"should" being the key word there. I'm about 99% positive K-dubbs wouldn't turn down a better deal.

And "former" was also a term associated with Floyd....who pitched more MLB innings than HB. And earlier posts said is fastball lost about 1 mph while he was hurt + working on secondary stuff.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:43 AM)
Over 37 million has been removed from the White Sox payroll this year in Cabrera-Vazquez-Swisher-Crede-Uribe-Hall. So far, they have been replaced by Betemit, Lilibridge, Nix and Marquez(players most likely receiving major league money).

Again, with season ticket renewals over 90%, and prices rising, along with strong attendance last year, how many salary dumps does this team need to make?

Using Dye for a reclamation project is an awful plan of attack, and should be considered a bad move.

Everything you put before the words "Using Dye" is true, but that's not even my biggest problem with this. It's clear, even though people won't admit it, that this team is rebuilding. However, to trade Dye for a reclamation project (one whose stuff has betrayed him) is a bad move both in a baseball sense and in the sense that it says to me, this is more that rebuilding, it's "let's go get them in 2010/quasi firesale" mode. I mean this isn't a firesale, but to dump 37 million dollars and get nothing in return to help you anytime soon (and no, Bailey won't help) screams "white flag". Not to mention that we could have got more for Dye than Bailey. No question.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:43 AM)
Over 37 million has been removed from the White Sox payroll this year in Cabrera-Vazquez-Swisher-Crede-Uribe-Hall. So far, they have been replaced by Betemit, Lilibridge, Nix and Marquez(players most likely receiving major league money).

Again, with season ticket renewals over 90%, and prices rising, along with strong attendance last year, how many salary dumps does this team need to make?

Using Dye for a reclamation project is an awful plan of attack, and should be considered a bad move.

The way I see it, the deal can't really be judged until a few things happen. First, and most obviously, you take it for face value. Bailey for Dye. If Bailey blows and Dye continues being a very productive OF, we lose the deal. Or, the opposite happens and Bailey turns out to be a stud, in which case, it doesn't matter what Dye does because of his age.

Now, going deeper, you have to think we're going to use a good chunk of this money to sign some Free Agents or add some salary via trade. If we do end up signing 1 or 2 good free agents who help us in 2009, you have to consider it a smart deal. On the face of it, we lost the Carlos Lee trade by a mile, but with the money saved, we were able to sign some key people. This frees up even more money for us to make a run at Furcal or Dunn or Abreu or whoever. Yes, the White Sox are rebuilding, but they aren't packing it in. You'd be naive to think we wont use some of this money in Free Agency...

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:46 AM)
Everything you put before the words "Using Dye" is true, but that's not even my biggest problem with this. It's clear, even though people won't admit it, that this team is rebuilding. However, to trade Dye for a reclamation project (one whose stuff has betrayed him) is a bad move both in a baseball sense and in the sense that it says to me, this is more that rebuilding, it's "let's go get them in 2010/quasi firesale" mode. I mean this isn't a firesale, but to dump 37 million dollars and get nothing in return to help you anytime soon (and no, Bailey won't help) screams "white flag". Not to mention that we could have got more for Dye than Bailey. No question.

Last I checked, Bailey has yet to throw a pitch for the White Sox. Take a deep breath.