Rumors: Sox/Reds Talking Dye for Bailey Swap

Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 07:29 PM)
I looked up the story on his paper's website and did not see any new info. I did, however, send him an email asking if there was any new info after the denial of the deal by both teams. I will share it if I get an answer from him. On a side note I could not believe how poorly moderated their comments are... Some people are raging assholes in their comments to and about McCoy, and they left them all up there for all to see. HOpefully they go through it and delete lots of the hateful stuff.

I'll tell you why, some papers don't believe in moderating comments, thinking it would show partiality and negate free speech

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:31 PM)
I'll tell you why, some papers don't believe in moderating comments, thinking it would show partiality and negate free speech

Ah, when you put it like that, it makes sense. IMO it just totally takes the professionalness out of the look of the site.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 07:36 PM)
Ah, when you put it like that, it makes sense. IMO it just totally takes the professionalness out of the look of the site.

I totally agree with you. I'm not sure what the solution is.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:36 PM)

Newspaper edit the letters to the editor in print for space and other concerns. They generally leave the on line alone to promote a free exchange of ideas. My local paper finally gave that s*** up and now edits comments when complaints come in.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:41 PM)
The Reds could be floating this one with the hopes of setting the market price for Bailey that high. On the backside they could be whispering, hey the Sox are offering Dye, whatcha got?

You are possibly correct, but nobody would give up that much for Homer Bailey, so I can't imagine it will work.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:43 PM)
Newspaper edit the letters to the editor in print for space and other concerns. They generally leave the on line alone to promote a free exchange of ideas. My local paper finally gave that s*** up and now edits comments when complaints come in.

Ours went from looking like this paper, to editing out the stupid stuff, to totally shutting comments down.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:41 PM)
The Reds could be floating this one with the hopes of setting the market price for Bailey that high. On the backside they could be whispering, hey the Sox are offering Dye, whatcha got?

But Jocketty wouldn't be the one shooting down the rumor. He'd want people to think it's active and see if someone will up the price.

If anything, KW has set the price on Dye at a young starter with ace potential and another prospect.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 06:08 PM)
Has Hal McCoy reacted to all this denial of what his source is telling him? Has he defended his story or his source at all?

i don't think he should have to defend anything yet. we've seen many teams offer trade denials before only to see the deal eventually consummated.

Edited by thedoctor

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:46 PM)
But Jocketty wouldn't be the one shooting down the rumor. He'd want people to think it's active and see if someone will up the price.

If anything, KW has set the price on Dye at a young starter with ace potential and another prospect.

He would be telling people he turned down Dye.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:46 PM)
Ours went from looking like this paper, to editing out the stupid stuff, to totally shutting comments down.

I believe that is the responsible route, although a forums like you run would seem ideal for a newspaper, but it would have to be moderated.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 06:47 PM)
i don't think he should have to defend anything yet. we've seen many teams offer trade denials before only to see the deal eventually consummated.

McCoy said it would be completed later in the week. I don't know why people are freaking out that nothing was announced on the first day of the Winter Meetings.

I'm going to be a little cryptic. But if this was a smokescreen, what other teams are interested in Dye, and why does KW want to make them think they need to up their offer to beat the Reds?

Is there a team in the NL that MAY be losing a very good corner OF'er, and would benefit from having a vet both in the field, and in the clubhouse?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 07:58 PM)
I'm going to be a little cryptic. But if this was a smokescreen, what other teams are interested in Dye, and why does KW want to make them think they need to up their offer to beat the Reds?

Is there a team in the NL that MAY be losing a very good corner OF'er, and would benefit from having a vet both in the field, and in the clubhouse?

yes, that is indeed cryptic. but in a good, "let me kill the next three hours at work investigating rock's scenario" kind of way.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:58 PM)

Dodgers if they lose the Manny sweepstakes.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:49 PM)
He would be telling people he turned down Dye.

Maybe, but I don't think he would talk to the media and say they haven't spoken since Thanksgiving.

I'm sure both teams are using this alleged deal to establish a price for their player. Problem is, the Reds probably value Dye higher than most teams (because of their needs), and the Sox value Bailey higher than most teams (because of needs and ability to correct young pitchers).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:58 PM)

A team located in Orange county. There have been rumors of that as well.

Obviously, Kemp, who isn't going anywhere. Or Kershaw.

Yhency Brazoban? I could see KW at least PONDERING whether to take Andruw Jones off their hands if they gave us a boatload of money to offset his contract for one year, but still unlikely.

The Ethier and Loney types aren't going anywhere, either.