Rumors: Sox/Reds Talking Dye for Bailey Swap

Dick Allen

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 08:54 AM)
Yeah, I have felt the same way about Crede the last year or two. Personally, I'm a big fan, but I realize its better for everyone involved for him to exit. It will be hard to see both of them go, at least for me.

I think Crede is going to be a huge bust for whoever he signs with.

And I still havent heard anything about this deal which makes me think that someone leaked this to the media because of another deal.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 08:56 AM)
I think Crede is going to be a huge bust for whoever he signs with.

And I still havent heard anything about this deal which makes me think that someone leaked this to the media because of another deal.

It doesn't even have to be something devious. Its easy to see someone in Homer Bailey's camp excited blurting this out to the wrong person, or telling someone in confidence because he is ready to get a fresh start in a new organization.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:27 PM)
My totally inaccurate and spur-of-the-moment Sox starting lineup for 2009 is:

1- Furcal SS ROBERTS 2B

2- Ramirez 2B ABREU LF

3- Quentin LF RF

4- Thome DH

5- Konerko 1B

6- Abreu RF RAMIREZ SS

7- Fields 3B (IF FIELDS TRADED, then BETEMIT or VICIEDO)

8- AJP C

9- Taveras CF

That line-up looks nice but I would have 3 changes:

1) Flip Abreu and Ramirez in the line-up. Abreu would be a solid 2 hole hitter and Ramirez could be more of run producer in the 6-hole without sacrificing at-bats

2) Quentin in RF and Abreu in LF. Quentin came up as a RF and this will allow him to move to that position. At this point in time, Abreu is probably less of a liability in LF than RF.

3) THE BIG ONE: Replace Furcal with Roberts and move Alexei to SS. Furcal would want 4 years and at least $48 million. That would block a guy like Beckham for too long. Roberts will provide what Furcal does and while he will cost prospects, we have accumulated quite a few through the draft and trades. Its nice to have all these prospects but they all can't play at once (if they all pan out) so might as well get a stud piece for next year (and draft picks after that) to make the team competitive and get value for the prospects that may always be blocked (Fields, Anderson, Poreda (I think he'll be Matt Thornton 2.0), Shelby).

Id love to see this be our opening day line up

SS Furcal

LF Dickerson

RF Quentin

DH Thome

1B Konerko

CF Ramirez

C AJP

3B Fields

2B Getz

Getz and fields turn over the line up nicely, don't have alot of pressure on them and give this team a good amount of speed out of our 8 and 9 hitters.

Edited by beautox

Wow, it's amazing how many people have no idea what Jermaine Dye has done for this organization. If he's traded for Bailey, that's fine with me, because the organization is being thrown on it's head right now and when you can get a talent like Bailey (in this situation) you do it.

However, someone actually typed that Jermaine Dye is trash. Despite the many ways that baseball-wise this is inaccurate (I'll start with the fact that he's been our best hitter over the last four years), but he's also a great guy and probably, actually very easily, a top 5 White Sox for me. I love him.

Some of you fans are ridiculous (anyone who would call JD trash) and can go back to the North Side where you were before 2005.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 10:16 AM)
Wow, it's amazing how many people have no idea what Jermaine Dye has done for this organization. If he's traded for Bailey, that's fine with me, because the organization is being thrown on it's head right now and when you can get a talent like Bailey (in this situation) you do it.

However, someone actually typed that Jermaine Dye is trash. Despite the many ways that baseball-wise this is inaccurate (I'll start with the fact that he's been our best hitter over the last four years), but he's also a great guy and probably, actually very easily, a top 5 White Sox for me. I love him.

Some of you fans are ridiculous (anyone who would call JD trash) and can go back to the North Side where you were before 2005.

Steve, I think it was just one meathead with like 3 posts that said something about Dye like that. Just about everyone loves the guy.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:16 PM)

Well said Steve. Well said.

QUOTE (sayitaintso @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:02 AM)
He will not be missed by you, but by everyone else, yes.

Everyone else? I doubt that. I know alot of Sox fans on other boards that feel the same way. Theres no right or wrong, it's just opinion is all.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 05:42 AM)
How has Thome been under achieving? Ever since he's been near the top of the list in OPS for DH's every since he's been here and we've only been paying him around $8 million for each season. I assume you rather pay Travis HGHafner $13 million a year to see his OPS drop 200 points each season?

You havent seen his numbers declining over the past few years?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 07:57 AM)
You're pretty much speaking only for you, but definitely not me as a Sox fan

Never said I was speaking for you... :huh

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 08:17 AM)
This floored me. It's not like he drove in the winning run in the 8th inning to win the world series or anything like that. If you aren't going to miss JD, you are not a White Sox fan. The man has done just as much for our franchise in the last 100 years as almost anyone in our history. JD will be missed greatly, and I will hate to see him in another uniform.

Im not a Sox fan if I wont miss JD? Thats even more absurd than what I said. :lol:

I've been a Sox fan for over 30 years so dont make your self look stupid by saying such things. I dont have favorite players because in this day and age players almost never stay with the same team so I dont bother getting attatched because sooner or later they will be gone. I put the Sox first and foremost above any player that plays for them because the Sox will still be there long after players have gone and I will still be a fan regardless so in essence I am a bigger Sox fan than you now arent I. The team is called the Chicago White Sox, not the Chicago Dye's.

So what you're saying is Dye is worth the 11M+ he will make because he drove in the game winning run 3 years ago? Please...

This game is about what the players do for a team now, not what they did 3 years ago. I never said that Dye had'nt done good things. Dye was horrbile with RISP last year and has lost a few steps in the OF. Sure he still has the arm but he no longer has the legs to play a good RF. You cant have a middle of the order bat hitting .210 with RISP and 2 out or hitting .269 with less than two out. You mean to tell me those numbers are worth 11M+ per year?

Thome, Paulie and Dye were the biggest reasons our offense was so inconsistent last year. If they werent hitting HR's they had a hell of a time driving runs in with simply getting a single. Since these guys were part of the problem, would'nt it make sense to get rid of a guy like Dye who is still worth something? Were already stuck with Paulie due to his contract and only have Thome for hopefully one more year so Dye is the player that needs to go in order to try and get more production from the middle of the order. Hell, if up to me all three would be traded.

It's nice to reflect back on what he has done for the team but that was then and this is now. Time to move on and put Carlos in RF.

Edited by 1399

You see, nobody actually disagrees with anything you just said there, except for your bizarre misrepresentations of how people actually feel. Pretty much everybody here understands the trade, all of us know it's a business and that JD's value is peak right now before he starts to decline, but to call JD trash and say good f***ing riddance, that's just... no. On so many levels. He's still one of the most productive corner OFs in the game, until the last month of the season where he completely disappeared he was right behind Carlos Quentin statistically. I saw a stat somewhere that said he's hit more HRs than any other OF the past 3 years. Arguably, he's consistently the best player on the team since he was signed.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 08:37 AM)
If Bailey can work out the kinks he could be our #1 starter in two years. He has that kind of stuff. If he was acquired now (without any other signing) I imagine we’d slot him fourth, with Floyd becoming the #2 option. So: Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, Bailey, CR/AP (I hope it’s AP)

:bringit

So you have already decided that the 5th starter will be CRAP. :lolhitting

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 10:49 AM)
You see, nobody actually disagrees with anything you just said there, except for your bizarre misrepresentations of how people actually feel. Pretty much everybody here understands the trade, all of us know it's a business and that JD's value is peak right now before he starts to decline, but to call JD trash and say good f***ing riddance, that's just... no. On so many levels. He's still one of the most productive corner OFs in the game, until the last month of the season where he completely disappeared he was right behind Carlos Quentin statistically. I saw a stat somewhere that said he's hit more HRs than any other OF the past 3 years. Arguably, he's consistently the best player on the team since he was signed.

But.But.But. Cant I just cherry pick RISP stats?

QUOTE (1399 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 11:40 AM)
Everyone else? I doubt that. I know alot of Sox fans on other boards that feel the same way. Theres no right or wrong, it's just opinion is all.

You havent seen his numbers declining over the past few years?

Never said I was speaking for you... :huh

Im not a Sox fan if I wont miss JD? Thats even more absurd than what I said. :lol:

I've been a Sox fan for over 30 years so dont make your self look stupid by saying such things. I dont have favorite players because in this day and age players almost never stay with the same team so I dont bother getting attatched because sooner or later they will be gone. I put the Sox first and foremost above any player that plays for them because the Sox will still be there long after players have gone and I will still be a fan regardless so in essence I am a bigger Sox fan than you now arent I. The team is called the Chicago White Sox, not the Chicago Dye's.

So what you're saying is Dye is worth the 11M+ he will make because he drove in the game winning run 3 years ago? Please...

This game is about what the players do for a team now, not what they did 3 years ago. I never said that Dye had'nt done good things. Dye was horrbile with RISP last year and has lost a few steps in the OF. Sure he still has the arm but he no longer has the legs to play a good RF. You cant have a middle of the order bat hitting .210 with RISP and 2 out or hitting .269 with less than two out. You mean to tell me those numbers are worth 11M+ per year?

Thome, Paulie and Dye were the biggest reasons our offense was so inconsistent last year. If they werent hitting HR's they had a hell of a time driving runs in with simply getting a single. Since these guys were part of the problem, would'nt it make sense to get rid of a guy like Dye who is still worth something? Were already stuck with Paulie due to his contract and only have Thome for hopefully one more year so Dye is the player that needs to go in order to try and get more production from the middle of the order. Hell, if up to me all three would be traded.

It's nice to reflect back on what he has done for the team but that was then and this is now. Time to move on and put Carlos in RF.

I'm sure our inconsistent offense had nothing to do with the fact our 1 and 2 hitters sucked at getting on base. And if you are all about RISP you should love Thome considering he hit .304 and posted a 1.066 with RISP this year. Dye and Thome had awful Septembers but outside of Quentin they were the most productive hitters on the team last season.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 04:16 PM)

I agree with you Steve9347 on some of the absolute ridiculous statements made about Dye. Jermanine Dye is a winner and is a main reason this team won last year and in 2005. To trade him even up for Homer Bailey is absolute trash itself. We take on someone elses underachiever thinking good ole Coop can turn him around while losing a team leader and proven star. I can't belive this deal might even be considered.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:06 PM)
I agree with you Steve9347 on some of the absolute ridiculous statements made about Dye. Jermanine Dye is a winner and is a main reason this team won last year and in 2005. To trade him even up for Homer Bailey is absolute trash itself. We take on someone elses underachiever thinking good ole Coop can turn him around while losing a team leader and proven star. I can't belive this deal might even be considered.

Because Homer Bailey is potentially an ace who hasn't been given up on yet, they don't just grow on trees. Would anyone say that Jermaine Dye is worth, say, Justin Verlander straight up? I doubt it.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 10:49 AM)

When I said he wont be missed I wasnt speaking for anyone or everyone for that matter. Just saying I dont think the Sox will miss him. Everyone thought the world was coming to an end when Maggs was let go to FA and thats worked out just fine since then. Kenny will make sure he has something to fill the void.

I agree he has been consistent until 08. Saying he has been consistent doesnt say much when there have been players on the team like Thome, Paulie, Swisher, Uribe and so on that have had bad seasons, have been declining or were just not good players at all with the bat (Uribe). It's like comparing a Caddy to a Yugo.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 10:53 AM)
But.But.But. Cant I just cherry pick RISP stats?

Why not? You dont think stranding base runners is a bad thing?

Should we just sit and marvel at the HR's he's hit in the easiest park to hit HR's in? Sometimes it's better to take the base hit to drive a run or two in instead of waiting for the pitcher to serve up a gofer ball for a 3 run shot.

I really kind of want this trade to happen now. I'm really excited at the possibility of all these young arms panning out, plus I'd love to than see Kenny go out and sign an Abreu & Furcal or a Dunn & Furcal. Man would that be awesome.

No idea how the team will pan out next year cause with Bailey you have no idea, the rotation might just go up in flames, but man would there be some fun young players on this squad and there I love watching young players develop and perform (hopefully they perform).

To say JD hasn't been consistent until 2008 is pretty stupid if you ask me.

If you say just because he only hit 2 HR's in September this season, he's not consistent, why don't you cherry pick stats and look at how bad he was when he first signed in 2005 and was downright terrible for the 1st 6 weeks after that? What about the the 1st half of 2007?

It's just unlike say a Paul Konerko, Dye has been consistent over a full season. OPS's above .800 for 4 straight seasons.

QUOTE (1399 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 10:40 AM)

I'm standing by my statement of saying that if you don't miss JD at all you are not a sox fan. He was our World Series MVP for heavens sake, and our best player for the last 4 years. Not to mention he's a genuine likeable guy that never complains or whines like others and goes about his business in a classy, respectable manner. By saying that he is trash and that you won't miss him offends me as a sox fan.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:14 PM)
I really kind of want this trade to happen now. I'm really excited at the possibility of all these young arms panning out, plus I'd love to than see Kenny go out and sign an Abreu & Furcal or a Dunn & Furcal. Man would that be awesome.

No idea how the team will pan out next year cause with Bailey you have no idea, the rotation might just go up in flames, but man would there be some fun young players on this squad and there I love watching young players develop and perform (hopefully they perform).

I too would want the trade to happen, but ONLY if KW goes out and signs a replacement in FA on a short - term 2 year deal.

And with the Sox dumping big contracts left, right and center, I'm a little worried that they may not go out there and actually do that (despite the payroll going up consistently over the past 6 seasons).