Rumors: Sox/Reds Talking Dye for Bailey Swap

Dick Allen

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:22 PM)
The problem then is finding a leadoff hitting infielder. If they have one in mind (ie: Furcal) then Taveras is a valuable commodity in the 9 hole. The key though is keeping him at the bottom of the lineup, he has no business at the top.

Agreed. Hence, I think signing Furcal and then getting Taveras on the cheap id probably one of the best plans of action right now. You add a lot of speed and you take a lot of pressure of Taveras.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 08:26 PM)
I am with you completely, I will miss JD, but our rotation is starting to look incredibly good for many years to come.

Want to know how you can get around signing FA pitchers to more than 3 year contracts (which this org WONT do)? You get them when they are young and for lower cost.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 08:24 PM)
I don't think KW would do anything without being apprised of Cabrera's decision.

As mentioned, it was "completed" before the WM even started...apparently. We needed another pitcher, everyone knows that, and Bailey is a better risk than Edwin Jackson IMO.

This is a trade that KW has had his eye on for a long time, and independent of the SS situation.

And the fact that it happened when the story leaked about the arbitration status getting out is very telling IMO.

how are we gona score runs .... hmmm still have our number 3 in quentin... hmmm we got number 4 in thome hmmm number 5 in konerko and o wait number 6 in alexi....

Were changing way this team going to be that is younger, run the bases better and scoring from second on a single...

This change was suppost happened in 2007 and kenny stuck with the same team. Ozzie hated the all or nothing apporach.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 06:23 PM)
Agreed...everyone needs to remember that Ozzie and Abreu are great friends.

Plus I could still see Abreu eventually signing a relatively short-term deal (no it's not what he wants, but he might just end up getting it). I'd love to have Bobby on a 2 year deal and I think he'd be a tremendous fit in the offense. He's still an above average player and can get by in left field defensively.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 08:27 PM)
My totally inaccurate and spur-of-the-moment Sox starting lineup for 2009 is:

1- Furcal SS

2- Ramirez 2B

3- Quentin LF

4- Thome DH

5- Konerko 1B

6- Abreu RF

7- Fields 3B

8- AJP C

9- Taveras CF

I could MAYBE see one of 1 or 6, but not both. Then again I don't see either happening.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 02:28 AM)
Plus I could still see Abreu eventually signing a relatively short-term deal (no it's not what he wants, but he might just end up getting it). I'd love to have Bobby on a 2 year deal and I think he'd be a tremendous fit in the offense. He's still an above average player and can get by in left field defensively.

Can we schedule the Braves so Abreu can face Javy?

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 08:27 PM)

1- Furcal SS

2- Ramirez 2B

3- Quentin LF

4- Thome DH

5- Konerko 1B

6- Abreu RF

7- Fields 3B

8- AJP C

9- Taveras CF

1. Buehrle

2. Floyd

3. Danks

4. Bailey

5. Marquez/Richard

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 06:23 PM)
Right. He is going to use the money in one spot, and that is now either an OF'er or a lead off guy, or both.

Truthfully the Sox have two holes...a corner outfield spot and the top of the order (plus CF). If you sign Furcal you kill two birds with one stone (as Ramirez or Lillbridge move to CF with Getz playing 2B). That would than just leave the Sox will one other hole and there are numerous corner outfielders that could be had.

If you add Bailey and Poreda to Danks and Floyd, we'd arguably have the best young pitching "quartet" in the game...at least major league level or within a year...it would be a toss-up with the Rays I guess.

However, Kazmir is already starting to go up in salary, same thing with Edwin Jackson. Garza's sweet, and Shields is as solid as they come. Then you add in Price. Sonnanstine is the perfect 5th.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 02:28 AM)
Let's just hope the Angels don't steal away our free agent this year like last season.

With the talk of Furcal having a mystery suitor for 2 weeks now, and KW trying to have every move he makes be secretive, I'm convinced all this talk about moving Alexei to SS is a cover for the Sox's pursuit of Furcal.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:27 PM)

1- Furcal SS

2- Ramirez 2B

3- Quentin LF

4- Thome DH

5- Konerko 1B

6- Abreu RF

7- Fields 3B

8- AJP C

9- Taveras CF

If the Sox can afford it, I can live with it though I'd rather the Sox move Quentin back to his natural position of RF in hopes that his defense improves from last year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:27 PM)

1- Furcal SS

2- Ramirez 2B

3- Quentin LF

4- Thome DH

5- Konerko 1B

6- Abreu RF

7- Fields 3B

8- AJP C

9- Taveras CF

I could definitely live with that. In fact, I would love that. Our lineup could be nasty. And if Taveras got back to his 2007 form, we'd have a pretty stellar #9 hitter with pretty solid defense in CF.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:20 PM)
I think its safe to say that KW isnt after a FA pitcher. He was going to fill the lead off/OF/Pitching roles with trades or FA signings. With Bailey probably slotted for the 4th or 5th spot in the rotation I think its a pretty solid guess that any FA is going to be a corner OF'er or a leadoff man.

Most likely true, but I wouldn't be very confident going into next year with a rotation of Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Bailey, and any of the AAA guys. I love Danks and I've grown to really like Floyd, but at least one of them is due to fall off a little next year. I also believe that Bailey can become great, but I also doubt it's going to happen immediately. The same can be said of the AAA guys.