Rumors: Sox/Reds Talking Dye for Bailey Swap

Dick Allen

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:08 AM)
Right, of course they arent worth half of what Dye is.

And I like that many people are saying they wont go to games next year, I like it when there are less yahoo's at the park. The Sox are going after some FA's as we speak. I am not too worried, I like this building on young pitching philosophy.

Any idea of when a decision is expected to be made by these FA?

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is a 1 for 1 trade, obvoiusly, it's a little dissapointing that the White Sox didn't get more back. Saying that, I also have to assume that the Reds would be picking up the $11 million dollar salary for next season so you have to factor that into this.

I realize the White Sox are going to cut payroll, but they are cleaning house right now....I don't think they are cutting back as much as they have so far so I do expect Williams to add some pieces to improve the team for next year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:08 PM)

And I like that many people are saying they wont go to games next year, I like it when there are less yahoo's at the park. The Sox are going after some FA's as we speak. I am not too worried, I like this building on young pitching philosophy.

Perhaps you didn't read what was written.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:08 PM)

I hope its true Rock...have anything more on this deal?

Oh man, not sure what I think of this... If this turns out to be true and all we get back is Bailey, I think we'll have to wait until the season starts to truly judge this trade. Essentially... see what we do with the money we save from trading Dye. If it's used to sign Furcal and someone else, then it would look like a good trade. However, I will absolutely miss Jermaine. He quickly became one of my favorite Sox players ever.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:09 AM)
Man, I'm definitely going to miss JD. I trust KW, so I trust that he knows more than us about Baileys struggles last season. But I must say, between Bailey/Danks/Floyd, the potential of the 3 reminds me of the early Zito/Hudson/Mulder A's rotation.

T minus how many hours before Broadway is traded for WT

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:07 PM)
If true, it pisses me off that we traded Swisher. He would have fit in LF, and put Quentin in RF.

I think Ozzie told KW he wanted him gone.

The fact is that Viciedo might end up a much better player, and we can sign Ibanez, Dunn, Abreu or Burrell for a reasonable contract for 2 years and hold down the fort while the prospects are coming up and maturing in AA/AAA.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 06:03 PM)
Do we plays Cincy at the Cell next year? Also, Jermaine has my permission to go buck-wild on the Cubs.

It's in Cincy and I'm plannin on attending and will definately be cheering the s*** out of Dye (of course I don't want the Reds to win).

atleast this free's up money but wish we could have traded konerko instead... this team looks really really bad for next season on paper unless kw makes some more moves that dont make sox worse.. ageing thome/pk/ajp, holes in OF, and the infield is unproven with very poor defense. Hopefully danks/floyd repeat 08' but pitcher spots 4/5 are big mystery... They need to sign Rafael Furcal (gg defense SS and leadoff hitter), veteran starter, and OF with some pop and decent defense.. this team also has very little ML ready depth right now too so I know KW will be dealing some more this week..

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 08:10 PM)
I hope its true Rock...have anything more on this deal?

Been hungover all day, digging now.

I know that there has been alot of discussion around some FA's, which makes more sense now considering this info. I personally thought this deal was dead.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 06:05 PM)
Didn't Bailey throw in the AFL?

If he was in fact injured or throwing in pain, that would explain the velocity drop/loss.

If this trade went through, it would have to be based on thorough physical exams first and also the fact that he has re-established his mid 90's fastball. Otherwise, it's too big of a risk.

I heard some speculation that he had a leg/hamstring injury. If thats the case you could easily be able to point that sort of injury to a drop in velocity. In addition, there were some reports that Reds brass actually told him not to throw his fastball so he could further develop and focus on his secondary pitches.

Obviously none of us know for certain but if the Sox believe the velocity decrease was due to something above than I'd be all for it. If it is because of some sort of undisclosed arm injury I'd be a bit more concerned.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 08:03 PM)
Best free agent signing in White Sox history.

No doubt about it. My favorite player of the World Championship era. Just ahead of Buehrle. Man I love JD. I'll miss him more than when Frank left. At least then I knew his days were numbered.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:11 PM)
I think Ozzie told KW he wanted him gone.

The fact is that Viciedo might end up a much better player, and we can sign Ibanez, Dunn, Abreu or Burrell for a reasonable contract for 2 years and hold down the fort while the prospects are coming up and maturing in AA/AAA.

I would absolutely love it if we signed Raul Ibanez. Dude is a badass and a Sox killer, so it would be nice having him on our side.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 08:13 PM)
If this trade was 1 for 1 and the Sox don't spend any of the savings, its a horrible trade, but there is no way that money won't be spent.

Even with the payroll decrease, we have saved so much money with these trades that it should be pretty obvious that we are shopping for some FA's.....Of course we also have a glut of talented spects that can be traded and payroll can be taken on as well.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 06:07 PM)
If true, it pisses me off that we traded Swisher. He would have fit in LF, and put Quentin in RF.

Swisher was f***ing awful. I still believe we'll see the Sox make a minimum of one decent size free agent signing's and potentially as many as two (either a SS and OF or an OF and pitcher, imo).

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 06:09 PM)
Any idea of when a decision is expected to be made by these FA?

I think the Sox are going to move quickly at the winter meetings (ie, once they have the OC issue resolved and Dye's contract off the books). Kenny has something up his sleeve.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:10 PM)
T minus how many hours before Broadway is traded for WT

If he was batting 9th, I'd have zero problems with that. Hopefully a Furcal signing and a Taveras deal would give us a nice speedy combo at 1 and 9 in the lineup.