Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wanted to switch to Uverse when I moved, but it isnt available in my new town. I asked a ATT worker who was working on telephone wires near my house why it wasnt available, and he told me that I lived too close to their main office.

I still have no idea what the hell that means

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 07:55 AM)
I wanted to switch to Uverse when I moved, but it isnt available in my new town. I asked a ATT worker who was working on telephone wires near my house why it wasnt available, and he told me that I lived too close to their main office.

I still have no idea what the hell that means

They are slowly expanding. They got to my area a month after we inquired and were told it wasn't there yet. If they get the MLB stuff next year, it will be the best option out there IMO

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 07:23 AM)
I want to cancel my Directv and get Verizon FIOS but I don't feel like going through the whole charade of them trying to get me to stay. I need to make up a lie, like I got fired or something.

Tell them you are moving out of state to Arizona and when they say they can transfer your stuff out there, tell them you are going to COX Cable cause it fits your budget.

That what my parents did when they moved out there so I used it to switch to AT&T.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)
It's a lot more complicated than that, esp. with the NFL. There is big money in those exclusive or nearly exclusive deals.

I know all about the deals. Comcast cut a deal at the last second a few years ago after DirectTV seemingly had a deal for the exclusive rights. AT&T is a big company. I feel they will pay and get it done.

So Im sick like a dog and just wiped out (didnt help that I had midterms on Monday and Tuesday and got like 3 hours of sleep), so now Ive probably slept like 17 out of the past 20 hours and Im still tired.

Whats the longest youve guys slept in a 24 hour period?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 07:40 PM)
So Im sick like a dog and just wiped out (didnt help that I had midterms on Monday and Tuesday and got like 3 hours of sleep), so now Ive probably slept like 17 out of the past 20 hours and Im still tired.

Whats the longest youve guys slept in a 24 hour period?

I slept for around 19 hours once during a transit on a research cruise. I was working as a science tech and also doing double duty as a mission correspondent, so when the rest of the science team would go to bed I'd have to stay up another several hours going through the eh day's digital photos and writing a mission dispatch to put up online. When I finally had some down time I took full advantage of it. Of course, that was the night they served king crab and steak in the galley and I missed it and ended up eating corn flakes when I finally got p later that night.

My freshmen year in high school, I woke up sick but my parents never let me stay home back then unless I was puking. Before first period, I went to the nurse and she let me go lay down in one of the rooms. My dad worked at the high school so I got away with a lot.

Usually they check on students after 20 minutes or so but the nurse never checked on me and I slept the whole school day. I woke up to my dad checking on me and was shocked when he told me school just ended. I had baseball practice and I toughed that out. It was actually picture day and I am in the back, looking like death.

That was an awesome day.

So my wife's grandmother is gradually slipping into dementia and losing her mind. It's sad, but it's also kind of funny at the same time and I feel like a douche for having the urge to crack jokes. I noticed one day about a year ago I said hi to her and she had this confused look on her face like she was supposed to know who I was and couldn't figure it out. One of her daughters (Gloria) jokingly said "you've met him before don't you?" and she was like "I think I know him but..." and then we figured out she really couldn't remember so Gloria had to remind her that I was her granddaughter's husband. She remembered after that and she played it off. Since then though, she comes to my house and stuff and I tell her hello and stand near her like I'm about to give her a hug and she just stares at me blankly... I'm pretty sure she has no idea who I am anymore. That was kind of confirmed today when she asked Gloria (the daughter I was just talking about) about her son Trevis, asked how he was doing and suggested Gloria tell him to stop by. That would have been all well and good except Trevis died in 2005. She completely forgot that her grandson died 4 1/2 years ago.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 09:27 PM)
So my wife's grandmother is gradually slipping into dementia and losing her mind. It's sad, but it's also kind of funny at the same time and I feel like a douche for having the urge to crack jokes. I noticed one day about a year ago I said hi to her and she had this confused look on her face like she was supposed to know who I was and couldn't figure it out. One of her daughters (Gloria) jokingly said "you've met him before don't you?" and she was like "I think I know him but..." and then we figured out she really couldn't remember so Gloria had to remind her that I was her granddaughter's husband. She remembered after that and she played it off. Since then though, she comes to my house and stuff and I tell her hello and stand near her like I'm about to give her a hug and she just stares at me blankly... I'm pretty sure she has no idea who I am anymore. That was kind of confirmed today when she asked Gloria (the daughter I was just talking about) about her son Trevis, asked how he was doing and suggested Gloria tell him to stop by. That would have been all well and good except Trevis died in 2005. She completely forgot that her grandson died 4 1/2 years ago.

My grandmother died of Alzheimer's... she had severe dementia - she had not a clue who I was for about 10 years until she died. It's very sad.

I read somewhere that in advanced stages of dementia/Alzheimer's people start turning into assholes and they're really hard to be around because it starts taking over that part of the brain. Or something like that.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 10:25 PM)
I read somewhere that in advanced stages of dementia/Alzheimer's people start turning into assholes and they're really hard to be around because it starts taking over that part of the brain. Or something like that.

My grandmother's brother, who was the nicest man you'd ever meet, was violent - he often had to be restrained in a wheel chair toward the end. He got really, really nasty. My grandmother had no mind left - she had the mind of a 3 year old in an 85 year old body. It was a very sad thing to see... she was otherwise healthy which made it almost worse.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 08:25 PM)

There was one point where my grandfather go so agitated that on adrenaline he was literally able to pick my dad up and like throw him across the room during that. Worst damn disease...

Every use of a gong in a rock recording is unnecessary and gratuitous with a single exception: Bonham's gong five measures into the "What Is and What Should Never Be" outro is totally appropriate and makes that track the transcendent rock anthem it is.

Gongs at the end of Bohemian Rhapsody and Dream on? Meh.

Discuss.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 01:14 PM)
Every use of a gong in a rock recording is unnecessary and gratuitous with a single exception: Bonham's gong five measures into the "What Is and What Should Never Be" outro is totally appropriate and makes that track the transcendent rock anthem it is.

Gongs at the end of Bohemian Rhapsody and Dream on? Meh.

Discuss.

Neal Peart uses it, single strike, at the end of some of his drum solos. Acceptable.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 03:09 PM)
Start with the track "The Rhythm Method" on the "A Show of Hands" album.

Doesn't count. Neil is just making a point of using every weapon in the percussive arsenal on that one. The tuned temple blocks are my favorite on that one though.