2009 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (onedude @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 02:59 PM)
ugh...Pujols with 2 homeruns, one being a grandslam(3 for 3 with the bases loaded with 3 grandslams this year) SO FAR in today's game. He probably has 2 more at bats to go.

He's the best.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 03:20 PM)
And it's not even close. Joe Mauer has been getting a lot of pub of late (deservedly so). But in my baseball world, there's Pujols and then everybody else.

Agreed. I've been saying this back when people were still on ARoid's bandwagon. Pujols is simply a beast. How many players in the history have a career average of .334, OPS of 1.043, strike out only around 60 times a year, average 40 homers a year (is on pace for 61 homers this year!), and average 120+ RBI's a year? I don't know, but probably not many.

Plus, it doesn't matter what the situation is, all he does is hit.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)
Agreed. I've been saying this back when people were still on ARoid's bandwagon. Pujols is simply a beast. How many players in the history have a career average of .334, OPS of 1.043, strike out only around 60 times a year, average 40 homers a year (is on pace for 61 homers this year!), and average 120+ RBI's a year? I don't know, but not many. Plus, it doesn't matter what the situation is, all he does is hit.

unfortunately I think the last guy who looked like that was Aroid

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)

Career averages, he has 30 points less regarding BA and OPS is below 1. Plus, he strikes out at about double (probably over double) the rate Pujols does and he's a steroid guy.

Obviously though, you got Dimaggio, Ruth, Gehrig, and Williams will beastly numbers. The fact that Dimaggio has pretty much the same amount of homeruns as he does strikeouts (8 more K's than HR's) is one of the most impressive numbers in all of sports, IMO.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)

It's hard for me to think of anyone since about 1995 who has been that kind of hitter who hasn't been directly linked to the juice. 1992-1996 or so there was that guy wearing #35 who you couldn't get out if you tried. Griffey in his peak also perhaps. Since then, every one except Pujols who goes crazy for years with the bat has been rapidly linked to the Juice.

Just have to hope he's clean, frankly.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 03:54 PM)
Career averages, he has 30 points less regarding BA and OPS is below 1. Plus, he strikes out at about double (probably over double) the rate Pujols does and he's a steroid guy.

Obviously though, you got Dimaggio, Ruth, Gehrig, and Williams will beastly numbers. The fact that Dimaggio has pretty much the same amount of homeruns as he does strikeouts (8 more K's than HR's) is one of the most impressive numbers in all of sports, IMO.

Arods numbers looked like that since the juicing started.

All I can say to you is I hope you are right. Plenty of my childhood heros that I swore were clean were shown to be on the juice, and I want to believe in Pujols, but like Balta said, its been a LOOOOONG time since anyone has legitimately put up numbers like that.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 03:23 PM)
Pujols is on something. It might be steroids or HGH, but he's clearly on something. I honestly believe anyone who denies it is only doing so because they really don't want to believe it.

Quite frankly, I don't want to believe it. The rational side of my mind agrees with you, but the side that enjoys sitting back and watching baseball really doesn't want to believe it.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 05:23 PM)
Pujols is on something. It might be steroids or HGH, but he's clearly on something. I honestly believe anyone who denies it is only doing so because they really don't want to believe it.

So because he's putting up great stats, he's clearly on something? So was Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Roger Hornsby, etc, all juicers as well?

He might have taken steroids in his past, I don't know. But there really is no indication of him having taken steroids. His numbers have always been great, he didn't turn into a huge muscle freak over night and his hat size has never grown 10 sizes. And he's never had his name linked to roids.

I'm not buying the argument that he's clearly on something, that's bogus.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 06:46 PM)
So because he's putting up great stats, he's clearly on something? So was Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Roger Hornsby, etc, all juicers as well?

He might have taken steroids in his past, I don't know. But there really is no indication of him having taken steroids. His numbers have always been great, he didn't turn into a huge muscle freak over night and his hat size has never grown 10 sizes. And he's never had his name linked to roids.

I'm not buying the argument that he's clearly on something, that's bogus.

I now feel justified because you disagree with me.

Oh, and he's Rogers Hornsby, and Albert Pujols has hit more homers in nine years than Hornsby did in his entire career. In his first nine years in the majors, Pujols has over 50 more homers than Williams had to that point. All the while, Pujols was unknown until he tore up the majors. The guy is on something. You can flame me all you want because there's no rock solid proof yet, but I'm sure we'll see soon enough. By denying it now, you're really just putting off the inevitable.

Edited by Milkman delivers