2009 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 05:45 AM)
Albert Pujols is so good that he is even leading the Cardinals in stolen bases.

He is also so good that right after the all-star break people will really start questioning his chances at the triple crown.

Pujols will achieve the feat this season.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 09:16 AM)
They're activating Josh Hamilton from rehab, I mean, the DL.

Undeserving "All-Star." *shakes fist*

Hopefully Hamilton opts out.

As for Smoak, it should be only a matter of time. In 194 AB's, he's got 8 homers, 34 RBI (that's a 25 HR, 105 RBI pace over a full season), has more BB's than K's (42 BB, 38 K), a .977 OPS, and he's a pretty slick defender at 1B.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 11:29 AM)
I still think we took the better route with Gordon Beckham. You can find power hitting 1B a lot more easily than a .300 hitting middle infielder.

well, .300 hitting middle infielders are actually pretty common. It's the one that can put up 40 doubles, 25 homers, and .900 (or so) OPS's that are a bit harder to find.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 12:49 AM)
And the Phillies just dropped a 10-spot in the bottom of the first on the Reds.

Also sounds like they might sign Pedro in the next week. I can't wait to see Ibanez return for the Phillies and hopefully get Rollins going, as that lineup is insane.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 06:51 PM)
Also sounds like they might sign Pedro in the next week. I can't wait to see Ibanez return for the Phillies and hopefully get Rollins going, as that lineup is insane.

It's been a long time since I honestly thought the best offensive team in baseball was from the NL.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 11:54 PM)
It's been a long time since I honestly thought the best offensive team in baseball was from the NL.

The Dodgers would be in more contention for that title if Russell Martin remembered he's supposed to be a good hitter.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 11:29 AM)
I still think we took the better route with Gordon Beckham. You can find power hitting 1B a lot more easily than a .300 hitting middle infielder.

I love Gordon, but switch hitting, 40+ home run power, 100+ rbi ability, 900 OPS ability, and potential GG 1B don't grow on trees either. Smoak is a damn good hitter.

However, Gordon plays a more premier position, and I'm hoping he has the intangibles to be almost like a Dereck Jeter type. Team leader, clutch, the whole "it" factor, etc.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 01:35 AM)
I hope the Giants do something with that offense. It'd be a shame to let that pitching go to waste. I'd want no part of Lincecum/Cain in a playoff series (especially a best of 5) if I'm an NL contender.

Rumor is that they really like Freddy Sanchez. He'd be a start, but they need more power in the middle of that lineup.

This baseball season is best represented by the Cincinnati Reds. Through their first 80 games, the Reds were 40-40 overall, 20-20 at home, 20-20 on the road, 36-36 in nine-inning games, 4-4 in extra inning games, 28-28 against right-handed pitchers, and 12-12 against left-handed pitchers. And where did such monumental mediocrity get them? Just one game in the loss column out of first place in the NL Central.
Wow.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 09:38 PM)
I love Gordon, but switch hitting, 40+ home run power, 100+ rbi ability, 900 OPS ability, and potential GG 1B don't grow on trees either. Smoak is a damn good hitter.

However, Gordon plays a more premier position, and I'm hoping he has the intangibles to be almost like a Dereck Jeter type. Team leader, clutch, the whole "it" factor, etc.

He has the ability to produce like Jeter. I also believe that he'll be much better defensively. And he does have something about him that would make him seem like a good leader.

Andruw jones homered three times last night which raised his ops .066 points... it now stands at .929. Out of any players with over 150 plate appearances he is tied for the second best ab/hr rate in the majors. Pujols is first with a homerun once out of every 9.3 at-bats, and then jones and ibanez are tied at 11.4. Not too shabby for someone the majority of people thought was all but done

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 05:45 AM)
Andruw jones homered three times last night which raised his ops .066 points... it now stands at .929. Out of any players with over 150 plate appearances he is tied for the second best ab/hr rate in the majors. Pujols is first with a homerun once out of every 9.3 at-bats, and then jones and ibanez are tied at 11.4. Not too shabby for someone the majority of people thought was all but done

Playing in Texas helps, but I think this helps Rudy Jaramillo's case as the best hitting coach in the MLB.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 05:56 AM)
Playing in Texas helps, but I think this helps Rudy Jaramillo's case as the best hitting coach in the MLB.

Jones has a.928 home ops compared to a .930 away ops. The silly thing is, jones has 7 home runs at both home and on the road, though he has hit those 7 on the road in 36 less at-bats than at home ( 98 at home... 62 on the road). He has only hit 1 double on the road compared to his 10 at home.

I would of course agree that jaramillo is damn good at what he does.