I confess to you

Texsox

Stuff owns me. I can not seem to throw stuff away. It isn't to the point where I'm some weird recluse. However, it is stuff like coffee mugs. Besides a set "for company", I have mugs from Scouting events, House of Reps, US Chess Federation, several colleges and clubs, and stuff like that. I don't need them, I only use one or two, but I just can't bring myself to toss them in the garbage. I have at least 50 t-shirts, I could toss out 40 and be just fien for covering my gut, but instead I leave them taking up space in my dresser.

I have my spikes from college. I'm never going to wear them.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 09:24 AM)
Start selling some of that stuff on Ebay. I'm always getting rid of junk on there.

It is mostly crap that no one else would want. It was the coffee cups that first got me started. I'm washing out my favorite, yet I had a dozen or more clean and on the shelf. Does anyone really want a used coffee mug from the US Golf Association? Shipping would have to be a couple three bucks.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 09:29 AM)
It is mostly crap that no one else would want. It was the coffee cups that first got me started. I'm washing out my favorite, yet I had a dozen or more clean and on the shelf. Does anyone really want a used coffee mug from the US Golf Association? Shipping would have to be a couple three bucks.

There's always Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 09:30 AM)
There's always Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc.

I just have to pack the stuff up and go. I work from home, so with all the work related stuff I have to keep here, it is just crazy to be keeping crap like this.

I have a habit of keeping EVERY ATM machine reciept I get, I have atm reciepts from when I was in high school. And also random reciepts of like fast food places which there would be absolutely NO reason to keep. Its all out of fear, its been engraved in my brain from my parents that reciepts are the most official of all officiallity.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)
Stuff owns me. I can not seem to throw stuff away. It isn't to the point where I'm some weird recluse. However, it is stuff like coffee mugs. Besides a set "for company", I have mugs from Scouting events, House of Reps, US Chess Federation, several colleges and clubs, and stuff like that. I don't need them, I only use one or two, but I just can't bring myself to toss them in the garbage. I have at least 50 t-shirts, I could toss out 40 and be just fien for covering my gut, but instead I leave them taking up space in my dresser.

:lol:

I feel you on this one. I keep so much stuff around and I'm not sure why. Like, I got some chocolates in my stocking for Christmas and I kept the box they came in (even though I ate them all) because the box looked cool. As for t-shirts, don't even get me started. I literally have at least 20 at home in a box somewhere. Not to mention the others that just sit in my room here at school. I really need to give them to goodwill, but when I sort through, I always end up being like "well, I might still wear this..."

I keep receipts too until I've checked them with my bank account to make sure the correct amount was withdrawn. Then I shred them. Not sure how I got so anal about receipts, but that's just how it is.

QUOTE (mreye @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 07:41 PM)
I can't throw away a coffee can. They're just really good for storing stuff. The only problem is most of that stuff is too big, so I've got 20 empty coffee cans laying around in the garage.

Do you have a bunch of random big ass boxes in your house too? I do. It's really hard for me to throw those away.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)
I feel you on this one. I keep so much stuff around and I'm not sure why. Like, I got some chocolates in my stocking for Christmas and I kept the box they came in (even though I ate them all) because the box looked cool. As for t-shirts, don't even get me started. I literally have at least 20 at home in a box somewhere. Not to mention the others that just sit in my room here at school. I really need to give them to goodwill, but when I sort through, I always end up being like "well, I might still wear this..."

I keep receipts too until I've checked them with my bank account to make sure the correct amount was withdrawn. Then I shred them. Not sure how I got so anal about receipts, but that's just how it is.

I have about 150 t-shirts. There are some I haven't worn in years. My big problem is that I still wear state tournament baseball shirts from 1995, hockey tournament shirts from 1996, etc. They all still fit.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 07:56 PM)
I have about 150 t-shirts. There are some I haven't worn in years. My big problem is that I still wear state tournament baseball shirts from 1995, hockey tournament shirts from 1996, etc. They all still fit.

I have a 1998 senior league allstar baseball muscle shirt that I sill have and wear. The absolute most comfortable shirt I own, but the bad thing is, it's starting to rip apart (from my enormous muscles, no doubt)

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 11:17 AM)
I have a habit of keeping EVERY ATM machine reciept I get, I have atm reciepts from when I was in high school. And also random reciepts of like fast food places which there would be absolutely NO reason to keep. Its all out of fear, its been engraved in my brain from my parents that reciepts are the most official of all officiallity.

I am the complete opposite. I have no atm receipts. I pay absolutely no attention to my finances other than my available balance. I am terrible. I do keep receipts for the consumer goods I buy, but never have cared for banking paperwork. I don't know why. Probably because it is a reminder of how little money I really have. :)

Another thing I do is keep boxes. If I buy something, I always keep the box. I have shoeboxes, the original boxes for all of my mid-sized electronics, etc. I find that they come in handy when you are moving and have to package those items up again. However, it becomes a pain in the ass to store all these empty boxes in the meantime. Plus, the movers told me last time I moved that I shouldn't be repackaging these items in their original boxes, because then employees of the moving company know what the items are and will steal them from time to time. Brilliant!

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 06:51 PM)
Do you have a bunch of random big ass boxes in your house too? I do. It's really hard for me to throw those away.

Yes. My wife brings them home from work all the time, but most of those get filled with the kids toys that they don't play with anymore and we're going to sell in the yard sale we've never had.

QUOTE (mreye @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 09:17 AM)
Yes. My wife brings them home from work all the time, but most of those get filled with the kids toys that they don't play with anymore and we're going to sell in the yard sale we've never had.

LOL, I remember those days. Our decorating style went from

early garage sale > Mediterranean > Little Tykes >

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 09:30 AM)
LOL, I remember those days. Our decorating style went from

early garage sale > Mediterranean > Little Tykes >

Good progression.

I am someone who NOW throws a ton of stuff away or donates alot of stuff to charity once I dont use it anymore. This really changed about the time my house burned down in college and I had nothing left and had to restock everything Ive ever had and I realized that there is just some junk you never miss.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 09:22 AM)

for some of the stuff look around to see if there are charaties that would want them. It might get over that click in your brain if you're giving them to people who need them, Goodwill will take a lot of stuff.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 08:26 AM)
I've started throwing some of my wife's stuff away. I mean, like the stuff there is not even remotely an excuse to keep.

My wife is a pack rat, too. I get so annoyed by some of the crap she's kept that I occasionally go through it and donate/toss/sell it. Then I get annoyed that it's me and not her going through the stuff.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 09:17 PM)
My wife is a pack rat, too. I get so annoyed by some of the crap she's kept that I occasionally go through it and donate/toss/sell it. Then I get annoyed that it's me and not her going through the stuff.

lol, I didn't even think of that, now I have another, perfectly acceptable reason to b****.