Official 2008-2009 NFL Offseason Thread

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 12:57 PM)
I dont know, but Leinart hasnt been able to take the job from Warner and has had Fitzgerald and Boldin to throw to in the last 2 years, so it had to be somewhat difficult to do for Leinart

I did not even think about it that way. Good points. Leinart has little chance to be very good.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumor du jour: a trade between CLE/DEN centering around Brady Quinn and Cutler has been floated.

I'm in agreement with most everyone here, if guys like Cutler are REALLY on the block (not sure that he his) the Bears must take their best shot.

I'd also love to see Brady Quinn playing for the Bears, if Mangini is trying to get him out of town, but that's just my bias speaking.

Minnesota interested in obtaining Cutler. If they do, they'd have to be considered favorites to win the NFC.

The Bears are in a better position to make a deal for Cutler than Minnesota, Jerry Angelo... your career is on the clock.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 12:12 PM)
Minnesota interested in obtaining Cutler. If they do, they'd have to be considered favorites to win the NFC.

The Bears are in a better position to make a deal for Cutler than Minnesota, Jerry Angelo... your career is on the clock.

I honestly don't think either team is in a good position to trade for Cutler. Unless McDaniels views Orton/Rosenfels as a viable replacement, neither side has a chance. If all Denver would be looking for is draft picks, then it is a completely different story obviously.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 12:16 PM)
I honestly don't think either team is in a good position to trade for Cutler. Unless McDaniels views Orton/Rosenfels as a viable replacement, neither side has a chance. If all Denver would be looking for is draft picks, then it is a completely different story obviously.

Well I was comparing the Vikes and Bears, I think that Denver would rather have Orton than Rosenfels... but of course they probably dont want either of them.

If the Vikes get Cutler, its not going to be a fun ten years.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 01:37 PM)
Well I was comparing the Vikes and Bears, I think that Denver would rather have Orton than Rosenfels... but of course they probably dont want either of them.

If the Vikes get Cutler, its not going to be a fun ten years.

I wouldn't exactly agree 100% with that.

Orton still has a lot to prove this season IMO. And Rosenfals has looked pretty good over the past couple of seasons when he's had a chance to play.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 02:39 PM)
I've been saying that Leinart won't be a good NFL QB since before he was drafted. He's a pretty boy, nothing more. He never got touched in college, and that made me believe he'd be a piece of glass in the NFL. I still stand by that.

I think Whisenhunt went with obviously the guy who gave them the best chance to win from the get go.

I think Leinart can still be a sucessful QB if he gets his chance with the Cards, but if they're gonna re-sign Warner, he's prob gonna try and ask out.

And considering the Cards would probably save some cap room to re-sign all of their other FA's, it's something they should definitely consider.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 02:44 PM)
Leinart struggled with out routes at the combine, his arm isn't very strong

But you'd probably say that about a guy like Matt Cassell also, and he showed that in the right system and scheme, he can still be successful.

I think for example Leinart would do well in a West Coast style of offense for instance.

If the Rams cut Bulger, Leinart would be a decent target for em possibly.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 01:43 PM)
I wouldn't exactly agree 100% with that.

Orton still has a lot to prove this season IMO. And Rosenfals has looked pretty good over the past couple of seasons when he's had a chance to play.

Really?

I'm by no means an Orton supporter, but I'd rather have Kyle than Sage Rosenfels. You're definitely right about Orton though definitely has a lot to prove. He's not going to be an above average QB unless he improves the accuracy on his throws and gets a better feel for moving around in the pocket (which ultimately led to the undoing of my beloved).

Orton

4 years younger -- had no receivers -- didn't throw many picks last year (12 in 465 attempts).

Rosenfels is 30, he did throw with 66% accuracy, but also threw ten picks in 142 attempts. You can't ignore the fact that Rosenfels had Slaton, the best receiver in the league, and a secondary receiver better than any of our receivers.

I'd rather have Sage Rosenfels than Tavaris Jackson, but only as a short term option. If Denver had to choose between Rosenfels and Orton... I would be a little shocked if they chose Rosenfels.

There is no argument. Orton >>> Sage. I know Sage has put up some numbers but he's older and has had a lot more weapons than Kyle ever had. Kyle has a shot to be an above average QB in this league for a long time, I can't say the same about Sage.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 03:23 PM)
There is no argument. Orton >>> Sage. I know Sage has put up some numbers but he's older and has had a lot more weapons than Kyle ever had. Kyle has a shot to be an above average QB in this league for a long time, I can't say the same about Sage.

are you just being nice because you forced me into early retirement? or perhaps because you didn't wish me happy birthday yesterday?

or DO YOU REALLY AGREE WITH ME?

::tears::

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 12:57 PM)
Really?

I'm by no means an Orton supporter, but I'd rather have Kyle than Sage Rosenfels. You're definitely right about Orton though definitely has a lot to prove. He's not going to be an above average QB unless he improves the accuracy on his throws and gets a better feel for moving around in the pocket (which ultimately led to the undoing of my beloved).

Orton

4 years younger -- had no receivers -- didn't throw many picks last year (12 in 465 attempts).

Rosenfels is 30, he did throw with 66% accuracy, but also threw ten picks in 142 attempts. You can't ignore the fact that Rosenfels had Slaton, the best receiver in the league, and a secondary receiver better than any of our receivers.

I'd rather have Sage Rosenfels than Tavaris Jackson, but only as a short term option. If Denver had to choose between Rosenfels and Orton... I would be a little shocked if they chose Rosenfels.

Agreed. Orton is hardly an all-pro in waiting, in fact I think his ceiling is "very average quarterback", but he is way better than Sage Rosenfels. Rosenfels sucks, he was a complete turnover machine this year and is already in his 30's, he isn't getting any better. I would go so far as to say despite how bad Tarvaris Jackson is I would rather have him then Rosenfels also. Jackson has a turnover problem too but at least he is young and can move in the pocket. Lucky for the Bears that the Vikings seem content to let AP become the next Barry Sanders instead of bringing in a real QB to help them win.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 10:01 PM)
I'd prob boycott the games. That would be one of the worst moves in Bears history.

The Broncos aren't going to trade Jay Cutler, but if they were interested and wanted Matt Forte and 2nd/3rd round pick I'd trade him in a second.

A) Don't get me wrong, I really like Forte but when did he become Walter Payton reincarnated?

and

B-) As has been proven time and time again throughout the league... its sooo much harder to find an elite QB than an RB.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 12:56 AM)
The Broncos aren't going to trade Jay Cutler, but if they were interested and wanted Matt Forte and 2nd/3rd round pick I'd trade him in a second.

A) Don't get me wrong, I really like Forte but when did he become Walter Payton reincarnated?

and

B-) As has been proven time and time again throughout the league... its sooo much harder to find an elite QB than an RB.

The O-Line dictates whether the RB will have success in most cases. Look at Denver. They had about 19 successful running backs while Shanahan was there. I agree that if Denver asks for Forte/2nd or 3rd for Cutler, you do it. Cutler anchors the QB position for us for the next decade, and hopefully you use the draft to build a good O-Line.

Here we go again with my hatred of a "franchise, f***ing stud QB" but Forte had a great season this past year. Granted, he was given tons of touches, but that isn't his problem. He racked up 1230+ rushing yards and about 20 yards under 500 on the receiving end. I believe he finished with 11 TD's, too. All this was behind an absolutely pitiful OL. His season last year was better then any of Cutler's so far. If we did trade Forte for Cutler, it would have to be straight up. To give them Forte + a 2nd or a 3rd would be an awful move for the organization.