Alex Rodriguez tested postive for steroids in 2003; Admits It

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2003, when he won the American League home run title and the AL Most Valuable Player award as a shortstop for the Texas Rangers, Alex Rodriguez tested positive for two anabolic steroids, four sources have independently told Sports Illustrated.

Rodriguez's name appears on a list of 104 players who tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs in Major League Baseball's '03 survey testing, SI's sources say. As part of a joint agreement with the MLB Players Association, the testing was conducted to determine if it was necessary to impose mandatory random drug testing across the major leagues in 2004.

SI.com

Thoughts? This is unreal.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 10:17 AM)
Not a surprise...I told some people on here about a story I heard how when the Yankees were visiting the Cell a few years ago, there were 3 players that asked an individual to hook them up with PEDs. 2 of those players were ARod and Giambi.

And the other was...?

I was thinking about this list of 100 players, and wasn't that when the Sox decided to not take the test? Thus, it would seem that anyone on the 2003 team likely won't show up on the list as testing positive. In all honesty, the only two players who would disappoint me if I saw them on any steroid list are Konerko and Buehrle.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 11:22 AM)
PM me if you want to know, as I don't want the name traced back to this thread.

We can always speculate and end up in Sports Illustrated again. :)

Derek Jeter!

Paul O'Neill!

Bernie Williams!

Am I getting warm?

ARod's comments were shocking in that he didn't even try to cause the situation to die down by denying them. I wonder if the Bonds situation is going to scare these athletes into not lying out of their ass (even though I know ARod wasn't talking to a federal grand jury).

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)
I was thinking about this list of 100 players, and wasn't that when the Sox decided to not take the test? Thus, it would seem that anyone on the 2003 team likely won't show up on the list as testing positive. In all honesty, the only two players who would disappoint me if I saw them on any steroid list are Konerko and Buehrle.

You wouldn't be upset if it turned out that Big Frank was using them?

Looking back on that generation, I'd like to think that at least Griffey and Thomas weren't using. If they go down, what heroes do we have left? Ripken? Gwynn? Mattingly? Certainly not Puckett, with all the unfortunate things we've heard about his off-field issues.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 05:40 PM)
You wouldn't be upset if it turned out that Big Frank was using them?

Looking back on that generation, I'd like to think that at least Griffey and Thomas weren't using. If they go down, what heroes do we have left? Ripken? Gwynn? Mattingly? Certainly not Puckett, with all the unfortunate things we've heard about his off-field issues.

Nope, Frank was never one of my favorite players.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 10:29 AM)
Sadly, I'd be shocked if he wasn't/isn't. I'm with you, he's the non-Sox player I'd most like to see clean.

Just out of curiosity... why do you want him to be clean?

He's always looked like a big mass of steroids to me...

What's worse is his first 5-6 seasons have made Frank's first 5-6 seasons look a little less remarkable. I want him to go down!

:gosox4:

QUOTE (wsgdf_2 @ Feb 7, 2009 -> 04:43 PM)
Just out of curiosity... why do you want him to be clean?

He's always looked like a big mass of steroids to me...

What's worse is his first 5-6 seasons have made Frank's first 5-6 seasons look a little less remarkable. I want him to go down!

Because he's the best pure hitter I've seen in my lifetime...but like you said, he does look like a PED user and there's been tons of speculation about him being on PEDs.