2009 AL Central Thread

daa84

QUOTE (High Mileage @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 06:55 PM)
I don't get e-mail notifications from this site and the search function doesn't work, so I don't check in much. And yes, Hillman was stupid for pitching to Pujols. Hillman's days are numbered...

You can request notifications in your board controls.

Also,

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=...mp;oq=&aqi=

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet another Twins free agent signing that can't make through the entire season:

The Marlins have signed Luis Ayala, according to South Florida Sun Sentinel beat reporter Juan C. Rodriguez.

Ayala was given his release earlier Thursday by the Twins. He will likely spend some time at Triple-A New Orleans before joining Florida, according to the report. Ayala had a 4.18 ERA, 1.42 WHIP and 21/8 K/BB ratio in 28 relief appearances with the Twins this season before he was designated for assignment last week.

Ayala was released because he went into Gardenhire's office and demanded a trade because he wasn't the main 8th inning guy

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/48...UoDEy3LGDiO7aiU

I guess the Pirates were in talks to get Ayala, and the Twins wanted Hinske in return, but the talks died when Hinske was dealt to the Yanks

I watched much of the Twins-Tigers tonight on MLB. We need to go into the dome and play better baseball this year.

The Twins are good, yes, but not good enough where they beat us all but 2 games there this year.

The Tigers jumped on them, blew the lead, then won it in 17 or so. The crowd was big, but dead and there's a big sign out there in leftfield saying "Countdown to Outdoor Baseball."

They hate playing in there so they should not give us the usual beatdown in there this year.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 02:23 PM)
That kid has a s*** load of talent...I hope he comes back strong.

Wasn't Michael Aviles an undrafted FA?

Or you're referring to another player?

I know he was really defensively-challenged at SS (arm/range) but he had a heckuva season out of seemingly nowhere and destroyed the White Sox single-handedly.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 05:46 AM)
I know he was really defensively-challenged at SS (arm/range) but he had a heckuva season out of seemingly nowhere and destroyed the White Sox single-handedly.

I like him offensively with his level line drive type swing. Defensively yes he could use some work.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 05:46 AM)
Wasn't Michael Aviles an undrafted FA?

Or you're referring to another player?

7th-round pick. And his defense was a lot better than he was given credit for.

QUOTE (High Mileage @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 10:59 AM)
7th-round pick. And his defense was a lot better than he was given credit for.

We know Aviles' story well here, of course. No D-1 offers out of high school, went to a small college where he ticked off some folks by predicting as a freshman he'd take an upperclassman's starting shortstop job*, national player of the year by his senior year, and rewarded with a $1,000 signing bonus from the Royals that was so small Aviles doesn't even remember what he did with it.

* He turned out to be right. He did win that shortstop job, and quickly started to change some minds. He was one of the best-liked guys on the team soon.

Aviles then spent six years in the minor leagues, more than 2,500 plate appearances, with only one of what you could fairly call a down season. The Royals saw nothing in him.* They made him start at Omaha three straight years, baseball's version of, "Well, she's got a great personality."

* When we mention this, it's only fair to point out none of the other 29 teams saw anything, either. They all passed on him in the Rule 5 draft, meaning they didn't think he was worth $50,000 and a roster spot.

QUICK UPDATE: Twins rally from a 3-2 deficit late (Magglio Ordonez had a 3 run homer and double) to win 4-3. NIck Punto had the go-ahead/GW RBI in the bottom of the 8th and Nathan nailed it down 1-2-3. Edwin Jackson with the bad luck no decision, continues to dominate along with Verlander, Buehrle, Cliff Lee and Greinke in the ALCD.

Sox remain 2 1/2 GB, Twins now at 3 GB.

C'mon Clayton, we really need you to show up tomorrow afternoon.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 05:59 PM)
We know Aviles' story well here, of course. No D-1 offers out of high school, went to a small college where he ticked off some folks by predicting as a freshman he'd take an upperclassman's starting shortstop job*, national player of the year by his senior year, and rewarded with a $1,000 signing bonus from the Royals that was so small Aviles doesn't even remember what he did with it.

* He turned out to be right. He did win that shortstop job, and quickly started to change some minds. He was one of the best-liked guys on the team soon.

Aviles then spent six years in the minor leagues, more than 2,500 plate appearances, with only one of what you could fairly call a down season. The Royals saw nothing in him.* They made him start at Omaha three straight years, baseball's version of, "Well, she's got a great personality."

* When we mention this, it's only fair to point out none of the other 29 teams saw anything, either. They all passed on him in the Rule 5 draft, meaning they didn't think he was worth $50,000 and a roster spot.

QUICK UPDATE: Twins rally from a 3-2 deficit late (Magglio Ordonez had a 3 run homer and double) to win 4-3. NIck Punto had the go-ahead/GW RBI in the bottom of the 8th and Nathan nailed it down 1-2-3. Edwin Jackson with the bad luck no decision, continues to dominate along with Verlander, Buehrle, Cliff Lee and Greinke in the ALCD.

Sox remain 2 1/2 GB, Twins now at 3 GB.

C'mon Clayton, we really need you to show up tomorrow afternoon.

7th rounder with only a 1,000 signing bonus? Sounds like quite the overdraft.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 05:59 PM)

Aviles then spent six years in the minor leagues, more than 2,500 plate appearances, with only one of what you could fairly call a down season. The Royals saw nothing in him.* They made him start at Omaha three straight years, baseball's version of, "Well, she's got a great personality."[/b]

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 06:49 PM)
7th rounder with only a 1,000 signing bonus? Sounds like quite the overdraft.

Yes, those were the days of ownership not spending a dime, and Allard Baird as our general manager. Very little came from his drafts. Aviles and others were offered the $1,000 take it or leave it. Ownership and Allard Baird are the reason we have almost nothing in Double-A or Triple-A. All our prospects are in the lower levels, and they are all Dayton Moore draftees. I like Aviles, but I question whether he'll ever see a Royals uniform again...

QUOTE (High Mileage @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 01:36 AM)
Yes, those were the days of ownership not spending a dime, and Allard Baird as our general manager. Very little came from his drafts. Aviles and others were offered the $1,000 take it or leave it. Ownership and Allard Baird are the reason we have almost nothing in Double-A or Triple-A. All our prospects are in the lower levels, and they are all Dayton Moore draftees. I like Aviles, but I question whether he'll ever see a Royals uniform again...

Moore really went the extra mile last year with all the money he spent on Hosmer and Melville (both struggling a bit this year, but seem to be coming around). Plus, you guys had a great draft this year with Crow and Myers, and Dwyer is pretty intriguing. I still can't get over how you guys got Myers in the 3rd round when he was a possibility for you guys in the first (you guys gonna spend the money to sign him though). Also, Crow is a stud, IMO.

Moustakas has been struggling, and I'd say for the no. 2 overall pick in 07 and into his 3rd season in professional ball, you'd like to see him at least in AA by now. Also, when he is ready, does he stick at 3B? Or go to the OF?

And I still have no idea why you guys are still running Mike Jacobs out there all the time. He has no business being in the American League. His best fit is as a pinch hitter and situational 1B in the NL, he just doesn't have the tools to be an everyday player. And why the hell is Ka'aihue still in AAA? Granted he is lighting the world on fire, but I'd say it's about time they gave him a shot.

Also, Mitch Maier is a bad baseball player. How was he a 1st round draft pick?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 11:55 AM)
Moore really went the extra mile last year with all the money he spent on Hosmer and Melville (both struggling a bit this year, but seem to be coming around). Plus, you guys had a great draft this year with Crow and Myers, and Dwyer is pretty intriguing. I still can't get over how you guys got Myers in the 3rd round when he was a possibility for you guys in the first (you guys gonna spend the money to sign him though). Also, Crow is a stud, IMO.

Moustakas has been struggling, and I'd say for the no. 2 overall pick in 07 and into his 3rd season in professional ball, you'd like to see him at least in AA by now. Also, when he is ready, does he stick at 3B? Or go to the OF?

And I still have no idea why you guys are still running Mike Jacobs out there all the time. He has no business being in the American League. His best fit is as a pinch hitter and situational 1B in the NL, he just doesn't have the tools to be an everyday player. And why the hell is Ka'aihue still in AAA? Granted he is lighting the world on fire, but I'd say it's about time they gave him a shot.

Also, Mitch Maier is a bad baseball player. How was he a 1st round draft pick?

Maier and BA have very similar career statlines, in terms of overall OPS.

Both first round disappointments.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 01:24 PM)
Maier and BA have very similar career statlines, in terms of overall OPS.

Both first round disappointments.

At least Anderson knows how to read the ball, take good angles, etc. Maier looks lost out there in CF.

Twins "man up" after a terribly disappointing 16 inning loss where they rallied from a 7-1 deficit...take 2/3 from the Tiggers and temporarily sneak ahead of the Sox.

Sox still lurking 2 1/2 GB. Nice to see another VERY important Sox/Twins series looming this weekend, with the Dome not QUITE so intimidating as before (knock on wood, hopefully that doesn't guarantee we get swept, would take 1-2 and 2-1 against CLE) and just getting to the ASB at above .500 in a heartbeat.

Edited by caulfield12

Twins really did man up to win those last 2 games.

We may need to outslug them if we can't get the M boys out.

Crede is key as well. He is capable of hitting some bombs vs. us. They are going to score runs on

us in bunches, especially with our defense. Might be wise to play BA in center all 3 games.