Sox/Jays talking OC sign and trade

DaTank

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 06:47 AM)
The popular rumor right now is Rolen, future closer Brandon League + cash subsidy for Rolen's contract FOR Fields and another prospect.

Us give up Fields in that deal? Nyet!

The Blue Jays have ZERO leverage.

I think they'd throw League in just to get somebody to take Rolen.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 05:12 AM)
KW should be fired it he did something like that. Wells is probably the one player I think is move overrated than Michael Young and his contract is actually worse.

Isn't Wells out a month right now anyways?

2009: $10 million, 2010: $21 million, 2011: $23 million (can opt out after season), 2012: $21 million, 2013: $21 million, 2014: $21 million, 2015: Free Agent

For a career line of .283/.332/.496/.812 with questionable health. This would be worse than signing Hunter or equvialent to the Cubs' signing of Alfonso Soriano.

Funny you make that comparison because Wells and Young are very good friends. That is all I ever hear on the news when Toronto comes to town to play the Rangers.

Considering all the bargains that were available in free agency, I can't see the Sox taking any of the Blue Jays high priced players. It would be absurd to take Rolen's contract and pass on guys like Hudson and Cruz even Furcal who probably makes less than Rolen.

I think if the Sox make a trade with Toronto, they will go after a reliever or minor leaguers.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 09:21 AM)
Considering all the bargains that were available in free agency, I can't see the Sox taking any of the Blue Jays high priced players. It would be absurd to take Rolen's contract and pass on guys like Hudson and Cruz even Furcal who probably makes less than Rolen.

I think if the Sox make a trade with Toronto, they will go after a reliever or minor leaguers.

No doubt. IF the Sox make a trade with the Jays involving Cabrera, it will be for someone that no one has ever heard of.

Its not only Toronto's pick the Sox would lose, but the supplemental as well. You would have to figure that's at least $2 million in signing bonuses. If they want OC bad enough either make them give up a guy like League (who I would rather have than pay the picks who chances are won't pan out) or make them give up their pick or let OC rot on the sidelines. He had his chance to accept arb and screwed up.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 04:13 AM)
My sister's bf is a big white sox fan and also interned at the radio station that Ozzie Guillen Jr does a radio show at in spanish and he says has heard ( I assume off the air) Ozzie Guillen Jr talking about stuff that Ozzie told him about Cabrera. Basically I guess he called him the biggest, most selfish tool to ever put on a White sox uniform in both his playing and managing days. Bigger then Thomas, Belle...supposedly when KW offered Cabrera arbitration ozzie told him if he accepts it and stayed here (which it looks like now he should've) he was prepared to use 24 men and charge his ass rent for it to stay on the bench all year... Don't know if it;'s true but certainly sounds like ozzie

loved this quote from mlbtraderumors.com

Well, Josh Fields for Scott Rolen and Brandon League would make sense for the White Sox, if they ate $6-8 million of Rolen's contract and/or the signing bonus, but it would block Viciedo for two seasons at the position where he has maximal value.

Otherwise, it's not hard to imagine the logic of spending $5 million per season on someone like Abreu for LF/DH/1B. In other words, which would have the higher payoff statistically, Bob Abreu for the 2009/10 seasons for $10 million or Dayan Viciedo for 4 years at $10 million???

In all fairness to KW, that contract now seems a little like an anomaly, but it's still nothing compared to the money teams like the Yankees, Cubs and Braves have outlaid on multiple players over the long-term...or that crazy Raul Ibanez one in Philly.

Something a lot of people on this site were saying very early in the season.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)
I get the feeling Viciedo is not in their plans at third.

Based on what?

If KW wanted to spend $10 million on a kid whose best years undoubtedly could be with another organization, I think he did it envisioning Viciedo at a position where his bat was at a premium weapon, which is 3B and possibly RF (because of his arm). If he's going to play LF/DH/1B, there are 20 of those types of guys on the market...the Scott Hatteberg/Lyle Overbay/Kevin Youkilis/Dan Johnson value pick-up highlighted in Moneyball.

Unless KW really has the prescience to project almost Miguel Cabrera/Pujols type numbers, that contract's not going to turn out to be a bargain unless he's at third or RF.

Same thing with Beckham and Alexei Ramirez in the middle infield....move Beckham to 3B or Alexei to CF and they're not going to produce much more than the major league average. Lillibridge, same thing, if he comes around offensively, his prime value to another club would be at SS...but in this market, "defense first" SS's like Cabrera, Uribe and Everett aren't getting much love.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)
Its not only Toronto's pick the Sox would lose, but the supplemental as well. You would have to figure that's at least $2 million in signing bonuses. If they want OC bad enough either make them give up a guy like League (who I would rather have than pay the picks who chances are won't pan out) or make them give up their pick or let OC rot on the sidelines. He had his chance to accept arb and screwed up.

Seeing how TOR has pretty much pwned us this decade (especially up there), I think KW has a very good idea who we'd target from that relief staff. If anything, they might be OVERVALUED because they look so good against the White Sox on almost an annual basis. Plus, we picked up Jimenez when they let him go as well.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
Aftr watching the horrendous defensive play of Wilson Betemit in Sundays ST games versus the Dodgers maybe we should make an offer to Cabrera and keep him at short.

:huh

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 10:32 AM)
Isnt a sign and trade impossible in baseball due to all the contract rules and such?

It usually is, but because of the economy, baseball is supposedly letting these happen on a special exemption.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 05:31 PM)
I cant believe how much play Betemits SPRING TRAINING errors are getting around here. GMAB, it isnt as if it was a playoff game

You must understand we Sox fans want wins in every game. Failing to get a victory, or making mental mistakes like errors, or even striking out means the end of the world. :lol:

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 05:32 PM)
Isnt a sign and trade impossible in baseball due to all the contract rules and such?

That's what I thought plus wouldn't OC have to agree to all this? Maybe not though

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 10:40 AM)
That's what I thought plus wouldn't OC have to agree to all this? Maybe not though

Well, duh, he'd have to sign the contract. If it got him a job of course he'd do it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 10:50 PM)
Put together a package for Vernon Wells.

Haven't gone through the whole thread but I saw this a couple minutes on the internet of Toronto getting involved in O.Cab.

I don't think they'll deal a top prospect, although it should be what we require noting Cabrera's type-a status. I'd assume they'd bite on a pretty good player depending on how we play this, if we kick in something, if Oakland raises their stakes.

This idea of Wells isn't a bad one. I know he is dramatically overpaid since he never quite repeated his big season(s) where he was given the money.

The Jays do have an overstock in the OF. With Lind, Snider, Rios (another overrated player IMO) and Wells, you'd hope one of them could be had. I'd say the Cabrera deal and something decent from our end.

If it is to be Wells, they'd have to eat it but I doubt we'll get him.

I'd like to get Cecil, but with the loss of Burnett/health concerns with other arms/and Halladay most likely out the door, I don't see them dealing young, cheap arms.

Our ceiling may be a guy like Luis Perez and another quality young arm. If I were Kenny though, I don't help O.Cab out unless I am getting a nice haul for him. Problem is, Kenny hasn't exactly been landing hauls for our players lately.