S/T: 3/04 GM 2 CWS vs. CHC in Vegas baby!

knightni

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 11:35 PM)
Do people on this board really like Owens? I was under the impression this board would loathe Owens starting in center. Myself included.

It appears that almost everyone hates him actually. Im not a big fan, but if he is given a shot I will give him a shot and pull for him before I start to hate on him.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 11:37 PM)
Yeah, I think most dislike him. I feel bad for him, as he seems like a very nice guy.

I don't think it is personal for anyone...I am sure he is a nice guy. He just can't hit, field or throw like a major league player.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 11:41 PM)
Has anyone seen Josh Kroeger play CF?

Then again, it's back to the whole problem of him also having to be a leadoff hitter as well...always keeping coming back to the same issue with this team.

Not if Getz can lead off.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 11:35 PM)
Do people on this board really like Owens? I was under the impression this board would loathe Owens starting in center. Myself included.

Well lets go into the wayback machine to last year. He was scheduled to be our starting outfielder, with Quentin on the bench. I know the most horrible thing you have ever heard. It still scares me to think about Quentin on the bench, and the 4-3 machine making outs at a high rate with some speed. Well thank god the Angel of mercy took care of that.

Owens is not a starting outfielder. He is a pinch runner. He can't hit, he doesn't get on base that much, he can't throw. His only skill is the ability to put his left foot in front of his right over and over very fast.

That's a Sox winner!

I was hoping to see German pitch, but oh well. I think German is probably a good fit for our bullpen.

Also, I like Kroeger and Restovich, and chance we can get rid of Owens and Anderson and put Kroeger and Restovich on the major league squad?

I know personally, if I say I "hate" Jerry Owens, I'm not talking about him personally. I'm speaking of his lack of ability as a baseball player and what he represents. I'm sure he's a perfectly fine individual.

Poreda 3 IP, 3 H, 1 ER

39 pitches, 24 strikes

That's his first official outing, his rough start against the Dodgers when Furcal took him deep was in a B game, but he recovered from that situation and went on to pitch pretty well. Nice to see Poreda can be effective the second time around seeing hitters.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 11:43 PM)
That's a Sox winner!

I was hoping to see German pitch, but oh well. I think German is probably a good fit for our bullpen.

Also, I like Kroeger and Restovich, and chance we can get rid of Owens and Anderson and put Kroeger and Restovich on the major league squad?

I think BA will have to be there for defense for sure.

Anybody notice that Poreda's first pitch was a 97 MPH heater and then his velocity declined more and more after that. He was 93-94 most of the time, but threw a couple at 91 too. I wonder if he loses his velocity quickly or if he just tried to calm himself.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 12:43 AM)
That's a Sox winner!

Kroeger has an outside chance, Restovich is bound with Van Benschoten, Broadway, Wasserman and Russell for Charlotte. Broussard will probably be there with them as well. In no way, shape or form is Restovich able to play CF.

Anderson will either be the starter or the RH outfielder off the bench.

German, ten years ago....maybe. Who knows what he is now, just a journeyman pitcher. He was once one of the more highly touted prospects in the game, but I also think he will be in AAA unless DJ Carasco really falls apart this spring.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 11:48 PM)
Kroeger has an outside chance, Restovich is bound with Van Benschoten, Broadway, Wasserman and Russell for Charlotte. Broussard will probably be there with them as well. In no way, shape or form is Restovich able to play CF.

Anderson will either be the starter or the RH outfielder off the bench.

German, ten years ago....maybe. Who knows what he is now, just a journeyman pitcher. He was once one of the more highly touted prospects in the game, but I also think he will be in AAA unless DJ Carasco really falls apart this spring.

What do you think the bullpen will be like this year?

Assuming we go with a 7-man bullpen again this year, I'd rather see German with the major league roster instead of Wassermann and Russell. Plus, having German pitch the type of innings Wassermann and Russell would've pitched can't hurt, anyway.

I'd like to see a bullpen like this: Jenks, Linebrink, Thornton, Dotel, Carrasco, German, Richard.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 12:55 AM)
What do you think the bullpen will be like this year?

Assuming we go with a 7-man bullpen again this year, I'd rather see German with the major league roster instead of Wassermann and Russell. Plus, having German pitch the type of innings Wassermann and Russell would've pitched can't hurt, anyway.

I'd like to see a bullpen like this: Jenks, Linebrink, Thornton, Dotel, Carrasco, German, Richard.

Jenks

Linebrink

Thornton

Dotel

Richard or Poreda (a lot depends on Colon/Contreras, and whether they want Aaron to get the innings as a starter in AAA)

Carasco (his spot to lose because Ozzie really likes him, and because he stepped up last year)

German

Marquez...Cooper has said he favored a multi-innings/long/swing man in the last spot of the pen, which also would seem to eliminate German

Broadway...goodbye

Wasserman....goodbye

Van Benschoten....goodbye

Russell...goodbye

Link...need to see more of him

Nunez...maybe, more likely to start in minors, live arm

Jimenez....ditto, but much more experienced, will get a longer look that German probably

Santeliz...very interesting prospect, along with Nathan Jones and Santos Rodriguez, one of the better arms in the system, and first Venezuelan pitcher since Alvarez possibly

Salmon...goodbye

Williams...might get a few more looks, but on a thin rope

MacDougal...wouldn't count him out quite yet, if he's able to make the roster, they will try to showcase him, but that contract will be hard to unload, we certainly won't get anything in return of value