Huge start tomorrow for Colon

caulfield12

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-2...0,5403058.story

Seems that Ozzie is really waiting for him to at least get his FB back into the lower 90's again. I don't think we'll ever see the Colon who would gain strength during a game and raise his velocity to 96-97 and even touch 98 in the late innings, but he has to throw at least 90-92 MPH to be effective IMO. His FB has always had a ton of late movement, so the velocity isn't as important to him as someone like Jenks, Thornton or Brandon McCarthy.

With Richard as option #1 if Colon isn't ready for Opening Week, there's a lot of pressure on Poreda to hold off Williams as the second lefty out of the pen. This need might be mitigated a little bit by the seeming demise of both Hafner and Mauer, but Ozzie appears determined to have at least two lefties in the pen for late game match-ups.

Outside of that, everything seems pretty settled...maybe the debate between Carasco, MacDougal, Russell and Marquez for the final spot in the bullpen...and Kroeger versus Lillibridge for the final spot on the team. Lillibridge would need to go for the next week to lose that job, it seems. He did hit the ball hard at least once yesterday off Carmona...maybe that's a positive sign.

Owens APPEARS to be on his last legs with the White Sox, literally.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 04:26 AM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-2...0,5403058.story

Seems that Ozzie is really waiting for him to at least get his FB back into the lower 90's again. I don't think we'll ever see the Colon who would gain strength during a game and raise his velocity to 96-97 and even touch 98 in the late innings, but he has to throw at least 90-92 MPH to be effective IMO. His FB has always had a ton of late movement, so the velocity isn't as important to him as someone like Jenks, Thornton or Brandon McCarthy.

With Richard as option #1 if Colon isn't ready for Opening Week, there's a lot of pressure on Poreda to hold off Williams as the second lefty out of the pen. This need might be mitigated a little bit by the seeming demise of both Hafner and Mauer, but Ozzie appears determined to have at least two lefties in the pen for late game match-ups.

Outside of that, everything seems pretty settled...maybe the debate between Carasco, MacDougal, Russell and Marquez for the final spot in the bullpen...and Kroeger versus Lillibridge for the final spot on the team. Lillibridge would need to go for the next week to lose that job, it seems. He did hit the ball hard at least once yesterday off Carmona...maybe that's a positive sign.

Owens APPEARS to be on his last legs with the White Sox, literally.

Did you honestly think you were going to see that version of Colon?

Well, it would be nice if Nix was ready...Kroeger, based on his performance, really deserves the opportunity, certainly over the other veteran in camp, Ben Broussard, who is really looking at retirement I would imagine. The main problem with that is Betemit or Getz playing SS, although I think Chris could handle maybe 10-12 games there. I would rather have him at SS than Betemit, I think...although Betemit's LH bat makes sense backing up 3B, SS and 1B.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Contreras, after having so long to rest his arm and now being 100% healthy, back at 93-96 MPH with his FB either.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 01:06 PM)
Colon was throwing 95 last season after building up arm strength. Between his back and then the bone chip clean up in the offseason, he needs to build that up again. I think if he can remain healthy, he'll be at 95 again in a month or 2. He's really just started airing it out.

I think he can do it too. But, we may have to wait till late April or early May to see it.

is this game on mlbtv? The Sox schedule on their site says yes, but the front page says "listen live" and usually would say "watch live." Also I don't see it on the mlb.com schedule, so i'm not optimistic....damn

oh and FWIW Freddy Garcia accepted assignment to minor league camp after going 0-3 with a 16.71 ERA....supposedly he was low 80s early in the spring, but is getting into the mid to upper 80s...still, im glad we went with colon even though i probably wanted freddy at the time of the signings

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...6,0,43939.story

White Sox excited about Bartolo Colon's strong outing

Righty turns in commanding effort coaches wanted to see

By Mark Gonzales | Tribune reporter

March 26, 2009

PHOENIX — White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said he had never seen pitching coach Don Cooper as excited as he was Wednesday after Bartolo Colon displayed an increase in velocity to match his control.

"A significant step forward," Cooper said after Colon pitched 41/3 scoreless innings against Oakland to take a big step toward securing a spot in the rotation.

Colon's fastball jumped to 91 m.p.h. after he had thrown only 87 m.p.h. Friday. He threw 33 of 43 pitches for strikes while limiting the Athletics to two hits, striking out four and not going to a three-ball count on any of the 15 batters he faced.

"He did everything we thought he could do and probably a little more," catcher A.J. Pierzynski said.

Colon is scheduled to make his next start Monday, but the Sox haven't said whether he will face the Los Angeles Angels or a minor-league team. Is Colon ready to join the rotation?

"We'll see next outing," he replied.

Guillen marveled at the way Colon increased his velocity. A major-league scout said Colon's fastball varied from 84 to 91 with an effective changeup.

"One thing about it is when he wanted to put something on the ball, he wasn't high," Guillen said. "When he tried to reach, the ball was around the plate. That's more important."

Colon mixed in a few sliders and said his surgically repaired elbow felt fine.

"I felt stronger, and my body got warm and my arm felt better," Colon said in his first spring interview. "I actually started letting the ball go."

Guillen wasn't concerned about keeping Colon's pitch count low. The Sox have said they expect Colon to pitch only six innings when he's fully ready.

"I worry about innings and zeros," Guillen said.

If Colon is ready to start April 11 against Minnesota, left-hander Clayton Richard would move to the bullpen.

The Sox haven't ruled out carrying three left-handers in their bullpen, which is why they brought in non-roster invitee Randy Williams in a situational role after Colon retired Kurt Suzuki to start the fifth.

Williams struck out left-handed hitter Sean Doolittle and has allowed only one run in 10 Cactus League outings. The 33-year-old hasn't pitched in the majors since 2005.

The Sox have two openings on their 40-man roster, which could go to Williams and Corky Miller or Donny Lucy, who are competing for the backup catching spot.

The Sox were unconcerned that Jose Contreras, who appears to have the fourth spot in the rotation, struggled at times during the final four innings.

"I think his command got better the last two innings," Guillen said.

Pierzynski said he wanted Contreras to throw more split-finger fastballs to keep hitters honest.

As the April 6 opener approaches, Guillen is moving closer to settling his lineup. Chris Getz will bat second Thursday for the third consecutive game and could stay there, with Pierzynski dropping to seventh.