Opening Day Being Rained Out????

wilmot825

Although we are about one week away from Opening Day on the South Side, weather predictions show a 60% of rain. On various weather websites say that it will be light rain but I do have one concern. Can Opening Day get rained out? God I hope not because I paid top dollar for tickets to that game.

Edited by wilmot825

QUOTE (wilmot825 @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 08:39 PM)
Although we are about one week away from Opening Day on the South Side, weather predictions show a 60% of rain. On various weather websites say that it will be light rain but I do have one concern. Can Opening Day get rained out? God I hope not because I paid top dollar for tickets to that game.

Yeah, it can get rained out. They try and make it as safe as possible for the players. This is why they usually schedule many off days early in the season.

Its why if the opener isn't on a Friday, there usually is a off day right afterward. If it gets rained out on Monday, the opener will be Tuesday. Its still way too early for the weather, although I, like you have been checking the forecasts. It looks cold and wet on Monday and cold on Tuesday and through the rest of that week right now.

Calm down Senor loco

They've managed to get opening day games in despite horrendous weather in past years. Bossart is a groundskeeping god and his outfield grass can drain a lot of water before it gets unplayable. If there's a long enough break in the weather to get the game in, I'm sure they'll play.

But, yeah, a week out it's hardly worth paying much attention to a forecast.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)
Raining out opening day would be pretty impressive. I was there 5-6 years ago when it was 35 degrees and rained sideways for about two hours before they started playing.

Did we lose to Detroit in the 10th inning? If so, I was freezing my yarbels off at that one as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 09:23 AM)
Raining out opening day would be pretty impressive. I was there 5-6 years ago when it was 35 degrees and rained sideways for about two hours before they started playing.

Yeah, I was there. It was Detroit. I was in the UD, and that was before it was enclosed. Holy hell was it cold!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 11:41 PM)
It's amazing how they can predict this stuff a week or more in advance. But I guess that's a different topic. Play ball!

Anyone can predict the weather a week out.

"It will be sunny and 72 on Opening Day"

See? I just did. The hard part is getting it right, and I wouldn't put money on anyone's predictions of the weather a week out, especially in Chicago, and especially in early spring.

I was at the game in 06. It was pouring, freezing and I remember getting calls from various people saying there were tornado warnings all around the area. I was seriously probably about 1 of 4 people that stayed there for the whole game(got sick as hell the next day). That might have been a little different since it was opening night on ESPN but I'd say it'll be very hard to rain out opening day.