Official Opening Day Post Game Thread

nitetrain8601

Maybe it's too early for this, but Josh has shown enough in spring and in this first game to warrant a shot in the 2 slot IMO.

I think we should put out this lineup:

Getz 2B

Fields 3B

Dye RF*

Thome DH

Quentin LF

Konerko 1B

Pierzynski

Anderson CF

Ramirez SS#

*Until Quentin gets back I'd like to move him down just a tad. I'm not at all concerned about him long-term, but this is an entirely new situation for him. Coming off a breakout year, then surgery, and now trying to prove himself as a slugger again, it looks like he's trying to hit for power right now instead of staying on the ball and making solid contact up the middle and the other way, letting the power come as it will. I think he'll get it figured out, but it may take him a bit longer than your average veteran so I'd make the move. It would only be temporary though.

#I like Alexei in the 9 spot because we'd be rolling the lineup over with a good hitter with some speed and power.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, guys, let's slow down here a little. Getz is a good player but he's more than likely not going to block Beckham, and we'd be nuts to trade Beckham unless it was for something spectacular. Far more likely would be Beckham moving to 3B and Fields moving to DH/1B, Alexei moving to CF, Getz being traded, Getz becoming a super sub with ~ 300 AB a season, or Alexei never repeating his rookie year success and being sent down to the minors or relegated to a bench role.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 09:11 PM)
Maybe it's too early for this, but Josh has shown enough in spring and in this first game to warrant a shot in the 2 slot IMO.

Getz 2B

Fields 3B

Dye RF*

Thome DH

Quentin LF

Konerko 1B

Pierzynski

Anderson CF

Ramirez SS#

*Until Quentin gets back I'd like to move him down just a tad. I'm not at all concerned about him long-term, but this is an entirely new situation for him. Coming off a breakout year, then surgery, and now trying to prove himself as a slugger again, it looks like he's trying to hit for power right now instead of staying on the ball and making solid contact up the middle and the other way, letting the power come as it will. I think he'll get it figured out, but it may take him a bit longer than your average veteran so I'd make the move. It would only be temporary though.

#I like Alexei in the 9 spot because we'd be rolling the lineup over with a good hitter with some speed and power.

I like the looks of that but Fields at #2 still scares me

Great game by Josh Fields--I was really impressed by his performance today. He looks like a different player.

Octavio Dotel was awesome and Clayton Richard did a great job.

Buehrle struggled badly but kept us in it.

Thome came through big time in the clutch!!!

Poor performance by Dewayne Wise.

FIRST PLACE!

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE (almagest @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 04:12 PM)
Okay, guys, let's slow down here a little. Getz is a good player but he's more than likely not going to block Beckham, and we'd be nuts to trade Beckham unless it was for something spectacular. Far more likely would be Beckham moving to 3B and Fields moving to DH/1B, Alexei moving to CF, Getz being traded, Getz becoming a super sub with ~ 300 AB a season, or Alexei never repeating his rookie year success and being sent down to the minors or relegated to a bench role.

I don't doubt any of that, and I don't want to say anything is likely going to happen at this point. I just really like what I've seen from Getz thus far and his statistics generally back up what I've seen. I think he's going to be a good player in the majors.

Fields had a great game as obviously,Thome. I feel sorry for Wise, he's in over his head and its not his fault. He's already getting the crap booed out of him. They need to end this experiment now. Also the new out of town scoreboard is very nice if you are close enough to read it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 04:19 PM)
I don't doubt any of that, and I don't want to say anything is likely going to happen at this point. I just really like what I've seen from Getz thus far and his statistics generally back up what I've seen. I think he's going to be a good player in the majors.
I wholeheartedly agree, I think he's going to be very solid, and shouldn't be moved for any reason barring an injury or poor performance. I just think trading any of our position player talent at this point (unless it's for an absolute no-brainer of a deal), with Konerko, Thome, Dye, and AJ nearing the end of their time here (and the hole in CF), would be extremely foolish.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 05:11 PM)

Getz 2B

Fields 3B

Dye RF*

Thome DH

Quentin LF

Konerko 1B

Pierzynski

Anderson CF

Ramirez SS#

I agree with some of this, as I posted on the Lineup thread. Flipping Quentin with Dye until he starts to produce is what I wrote there. I also would move Fields up, but I'd hit him leadoff to keep a better lefty/righty mix. With Wise/Anderson in the 9 hole, you don't want Wise/Getz back to back (which they are now).

My other move would be to push Ramirez into the 6 hole, with Konerko dropping to 8th. The reason for this is that Paulie hit worse than Quentin, Thome, Dye, and Ramirez last year, and AJ is needed to break up the righties.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 03:31 PM)
Fields had a great game as obviously,Thome. I feel sorry for Wise, he's in over his head and its not his fault. He's already getting the crap booed out of him. They need to end this experiment now. Also the new out of town scoreboard is very nice if you are close enough to read it.

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you wrote.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 05:18 PM)
Best moron call of the post game show on WSCR 670,

"Getz is being talked about keeping Gordon Beckham's position warm. Now I have seen Getz, in the futures game and he is good. What about moving Beckham to CF"

/show

Rongey's come a long way hasn't he? He's rarely let me down over the last year or so.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 03:01 PM)
Man, they have really improved the video quality on MLB.com post-game highlights.

No kidding, and thanks for the heads-up. Kudos to MLB for putting those highlights in 720p. :notworthy

Got back from the game. Awesome.

For those who didn't get to really watch it, some things the box score didn't tell you...

--Wise's strike outs weren't just strike outs - they were absolutely pathetic at bats.

--Wise's bunt attempts were just plain stupid - the 3B was at the pitcher's level, and Wise was STILL trying to push, instead of dragging down the empty first base line.

--The play Fields made at third to peg at home was outstanding

--Chris Getz can play a very good 2B, it would seem, and he NEVER slowed down on that single-he-hustled-into-a-double.

--WTF is up with the baserunning? Three horrible running decisions made on the basepaths. Not just being aggresive, but being outright stupid. They weren't even close plays.

--Jenks had good velocity - 95-96 on the park gun - even though its just Opening Day.

--Buehrle was not himself - not just in the results, but his motion and demeanor didn't look right.

--F-18's are loud.

--Gate 5 looks decent but incomplete.

--The new out of town scoreboard needs some work, and had errors and bad data pretty regularly.

FUN GAME THOUGH!!!

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 05:55 PM)
Got back from the game. Awesome.

For those who didn't get to really watch it, some things the box score didn't tell you...

--Wise's strike outs weren't just strike outs - they were absolutely pathetic at bats.

--Wise's bunt attempts were just plain stupid - the 3B was at the pitcher's level, and Wise was STILL trying to push, instead of dragging down the empty first base line.

--The play Fields made at third to peg at home was outstanding

--Chris Getz can play a very good 2B, it would seem, and he NEVER slowed down on that single-he-hustled-into-a-double.

--WTF is up with the baserunning? Three horrible running decisions made on the basepaths. Not just being aggresive, but being outright stupid. They weren't even close plays.

--Jenks had good velocity - 95-96 on the park gun - even though its just Opening Day.

--Buehrle was not himself - not just in the results, but his motion and demeanor didn't look right.

--F-18's are loud.

--Gate 5 looks decent but incomplete.

--The new out of town scoreboard needs some work, and had errors and bad data pretty regularly.

FUN GAME THOUGH!!!

Glad you enjoyed it. Did Buehrle look hurt or just plain out of it?

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 05:58 PM)
Glad you enjoyed it. Did Buehrle look hurt or just plain out of it?

More out of it, unfocused. His velocity was typical Buehrle, so I doubt its an injury. His fielding was good too. Just he couldn't locate, and he wasn't as quick to deliver as usual - did a lot more wandering and pausing. Like he had no rhythm.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 02:37 PM)
this thread is not nearly as exciting as it should be.

Thank you Jim Thome. Dewayne Wise, go home.

Bring back AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

This "official" business is just silliness.