Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 01:00 AM)
I've been a Cutler fan a season before joining the bears (granted it was because Brady went down week 1, and I needed a replacement for my fantasy QB.) However, I watched most Bronco games because they were usually late games and I needed 10-15 pts to win my week. Not many players I can say I know much more about other than highlight reels, occasional prime time game watching and box score reading. Jay Cutler is one of the top 5 most talented QB's I have ever witnessed. He made his weapons.

Everybody talks about how important Wide Receivers are, well Tight Ends are vastly underated. They are the targets when you desperately need 7 yards to keep the chains moving. Remove Gates and Rivers becomes Eli.

LT,Sproles,Gates,Jackson,Chambers>> Marshall,Royal and anyone else you want to throw in there. It's not even close.

I think Billy Volek would agree.

Exactly. When Brandon Marshall came into the NFL, he was supposed to be a FS out of Central Florida. Now, he's a top tier WR when he isn't in trouble with the law. Eddie Royal comes in last year, has a good rookie year, and now everyone is calling him "a weapon the Bears don't have". Did Royal have a good year because he was so ready to play in the NFL, or did he have a good year because Cutler was his QB? I think it's option 2.

theres no definitive answer as to who is the 3rd best qb (or even the top 2 in the league frankly)...does Rivers have the ability to be the best QB in the league? I certainly wouldn't be surprised if is the best qb this year. That said, can tony romo or ben roethlisberger have better years than Rivers this year? Certainly. Personally, i'd like to see Rivers repeat his year last year before I annoint him as the best of the non-Manning Brady QBs, but certainly I'll admit he might be. Warner has a terrific body of work for his career, but does that mean hes a top 3 or 4 QB in the league right now? I doubt it.

Its really hard to compare Kurt Warner to Phillip Rivers because one is past his prime, the other is in the heart of it. For me I break up the list as follows, and in order of how I perceive their abilities.

Established guys still in their primes, but on the downside

Manning

Brady

Brees

Warner

McNabb (maybe he slides ahead of warner)

The Up and Comers hitting/just in their primes

Rivers

Cutler

Roethlisberger (IMO he's given too much credit ....been on great, great teams with good recievers, running games, defenses)

Eli

Romo

Now for 2009-2010, who will be the best? It could be any single one of those guys....and matt ryan probably should be thrown into the mix as well. It isn't until after guys careers are over that we are able to say who the better player was, simply because the NFL season is too short, and too much variability occurs year to year in only 16 games. Back in the mid 90s when guys like Favre, Aikman, Marino, Elway, and Young were in the league (and even Montana at the end)...it was impossible at the time to say who the best was, but now looking back I think its much easier to come up with a logical and more accurate ranking

QUOTE (daa84 @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 04:08 PM)
theres no definitive answer as to who is the 3rd best qb (or even the top 2 in the league frankly)...does Rivers have the ability to be the best QB in the league? I certainly wouldn't be surprised if is the best qb this year. That said, can tony romo or ben roethlisberger have better years than Rivers this year? Certainly. Personally, i'd like to see Rivers repeat his year last year before I annoint him as the best of the non-Manning Brady QBs, but certainly I'll admit he might be. Warner has a terrific body of work for his career, but does that mean hes a top 3 or 4 QB in the league right now? I doubt it.

Its really hard to compare Kurt Warner to Phillip Rivers because one is past his prime, the other is in the heart of it. For me I break up the list as follows, and in order of how I perceive their abilities.

Established guys still in their primes, but on the downside

Manning

Brady

Brees

Warner

McNabb (maybe he slides ahead of warner)

The Up and Comers hitting/just in their primes

Rivers

Cutler

Roethlisberger (IMO he's given too much credit ....been on great, great teams with good recievers, running games, defenses)

Eli

Romo

Now for 2009-2010, who will be the best? It could be any single one of those guys....and matt ryan probably should be thrown into the mix as well. It isn't until after guys careers are over that we are able to say who the better player was, simply because the NFL season is too short, and too much variability occurs year to year in only 16 games. Back in the mid 90s when guys like Favre, Aikman, Marino, Elway, and Young were in the league (and even Montana at the end)...it was impossible at the time to say who the best was, but now looking back I think its much easier to come up with a logical and more accurate ranking

You're completely wrong. Here's a list of the elite qbs in the league:

1) Jay Cutler

That's it... that's the list. Everyone else is crap.

IActually, I would probably say that Cutler, Rivers and (gulp) Aaron Rodgers are your three top young qbs. Romo, Eli, and Roethlisberger all have better playoff pedigrees - but (for some reason) I'd rather have the former three qbs than the latter.

Why are guys like McNabb, Romo, etc. on these top QB lists yet guys like Carson Palmer and Aaron Rodgers.

Palmer has had some very nice years prior to his injury plagued 2008. Rodgers showed to be a very capable replacement for Favre last year and will be given more opportunity to handle the offense this year for Green Bay.

Romo has what I would consider one good year out of the three he has started. McNabb is good for around 20-25ish TD's between passing and rushing, has had issues staying healthy and usually ends the year with pretty pedestrian numbers when the year is over.

Cutler, I believe to be a good QB (also I'm not a Bear fan) but we will see if he can do it with the Bears offense. I still think it is a bit early to judge him.

I'd put Eli and Roethlisberger in the same boat. I think both of them get too much credit for their team's success. Both of them have top notch defenses and running games. Taking a look at their numbers and comparing it against the top tier guys really shows that they are a tier below.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 05:08 PM)
Why are guys like McNabb, Romo, etc. on these top QB lists yet guys like Carson Palmer and Aaron Rodgers.

Palmer has had some very nice years prior to his injury plagued 2008. Rodgers showed to be a very capable replacement for Favre last year and will be given more opportunity to handle the offense this year for Green Bay.

Romo has what I would consider one good year out of the three he has started. McNabb is good for around 20-25ish TD's between passing and rushing, has had issues staying healthy and usually ends the year with pretty pedestrian numbers when the year is over.

Cutler, I believe to be a good QB (also I'm not a Bear fan) but we will see if he can do it with the Bears offense. I still think it is a bit early to judge him.

I'd put Eli and Roethlisberger in the same boat. I think both of them get too much credit for their team's success. Both of them have top notch defenses and running games. Taking a look at their numbers and comparing it against the top tier guys really shows that they are a tier below.

I like Palmer almost more than anyone else out there, but if the discussion is taking place today, Palmer has been injured all of last year, and when he got injured that one playoff year, he was never the same. Sucks too because I thought he looked like a hall of fame type QB. He was that damn good.

Rodgers hasn't proved it to me yet. He's good, he's not elite yet. Cutler is closer than him IMHO. Roethlisberger is probably more overrated than Eli. Eli is the best of the third tier QB's to me, but would be towards the bottom in second tier QB's.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 05:04 AM)
How about Phillip Rivers accomplish more than Chad Pennington before we put him in the top 3. I still don't see him above the Romo/Cutler tier just yet.

What exactly has Chad Pennington accomplished?

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 11:59 PM)
Soxtalk QB draft:

1. Tom Brady

2. Drew Brees

3. Peyton Manning

4. Jay Cutler

5. Aaron Rodgers

6. Kurt Warner

7. Philip Rivers

8. Matt Ryan

9. Tony Romo

10. Donovan McNabb

Rivers should have gone as the #5 guy IMO.

Cutler went pretty high IMO. Lack of WR weapons might cutback on TDs thrown, especially inside the red zone.

I'd wouldve ranked it like Brady,Brees,Manning,Rodgers,Rivers,Warner,Ryan,Cutler,etc

The league I'm in drafted like this:

Tom Brady (6 Overall)

Drew Brees (13 Overall)

Peyton Manning (21 Overall)

Aaron Rodgers (22 Overall)

Tony Romo (32 Overall)

Phillip Rivers (39 Overall)

Kurt Warner (48 Overall)

Jay Cutler (50 Overall)

Donovan McNabb (53 Overall)

Matt Schaub (55 Overall)

Matt Ryan (85 Overall)

Carson Palmer (86 Overall)

12 teams, so those are the starters. At least 9 of the owners really know their s***, but as with any league, you're gonna have a couple guys that are somewhat confused.

I ended up getting Cutler at #50. I thought that I'd get him in the 60-to-70 range, but it didn't work out that way.

Roethlisberger ain't gonna be starting for anyone, which speaks to his fantasy value. In real life, he's more valuable than damn near half of the guys on that list.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 06:04 AM)
How about Phillip Rivers accomplish more than Chad Pennington before we put him in the top 3. I still don't see him above the Romo/Cutler tier just yet.

How about playing an undefeated team to a very close game in the AFC Championship on a partially torn ACL? How about leading his team to the AFC West title last year, even at 8-8?

Phillip Rivers is one of the best QBs in the league. I'm leaving it at that.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 09:37 PM)
By accomplishing more than Pennington would be doing it again. If he has another season like last, I will be first in line to call him top 3, possibly top 1.

Your argument for Phil Rivers to accomplish more than Chad Pennington is that ONCE Pennington had a QB Rating of 104. Rivers had a QB Rating of 105 last season, thus, has already surpassed Penningtons accomplishment you have listed. How can surpassing it again change the fact hes already done it anyways?

Having a QB rating over 100 for a full season is no fluke..

QUOTE (T R U @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 03:39 AM)
Your argument for Phil Rivers to accomplish more than Chad Pennington is that ONCE Pennington had a QB Rating of 104. Rivers had a QB Rating of 105 last season, thus, has already surpassed Penningtons accomplishment you have listed. How can surpassing it again change the fact hes already done it anyways?

Having a QB rating over 100 for a full season is no fluke..

do it for more than 1 season is the point. It was a fluke for CP. Even without his injury, I doubted he would ever top 100. Philip Rivers probably can and will top 100, when he does I'll give him his props as a top 3 guy. No way he is in the same category as Peyton,Brady and Brees.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 03:14 AM)
How about playing an undefeated team to a very close game in the AFC Championship on a partially torn ACL? How about leading his team to the AFC West title last year, even at 8-8?

Phillip Rivers is one of the best QBs in the league. I'm leaving it at that.

With that logic lets crown Eli as the best in the league , because he did not almost beat an undefeated team, he did.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 12:18 AM)
Roethlisberger ain't gonna be starting for anyone, which speaks to his fantasy value. In real life, he's more valuable than damn near half of the guys on that list.

Yep, he's certainly more valuable to NFL teams than Fantasy sports. However, Ben posted 32 TD's and 11 INT's with a 104.1 rating in 2007 and has better weapons this year, so he could end up being a huge steal for someone.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 12:18 AM)

aint that the truth, dudes a winner. Funny how the fantasy world differs from the real world in sports.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 01:25 PM)
aint that the truth, dudes a winner. Funny how the fantasy world differs from the real world in sports.

You don't get too many fantasy points for evading heavy blitzes and turning a likely sack into a 15 yard pass. Ben is a prime example of the difference between fantasy and reality.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
do it for more than 1 season is the point. It was a fluke for CP. Even without his injury, I doubted he would ever top 100. Philip Rivers probably can and will top 100, when he does I'll give him his props as a top 3 guy. No way he is in the same category as Peyton,Brady and Brees.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)
With that logic lets crown Eli as the best in the league , because he did not almost beat an undefeated team, he did.

:notworthy

NFL Rules On The Cowboys Stadium Scoreboard Issue:

The NFL has ruled that the down will be replayed and clock will be reset if a football hits the massive video display board that hangs over the field at Cowboys Stadium.

Perhaps the key piece of the ruling, issued Friday morning, is that it is only for this season. The league can review it after the season.

By setting the video boards 90 feet above the field, the Cowboys cleared the current league standard by 5 feet. But this action indicates the 85-foot rule might be re-examined in the offseason, which could force the first major renovation to the $1.15 billion stadium.

This season, if the video board comes into play, the replay official will have the power to institute a booth review without a coach's challenge, even if it isn't in the final two minutes of a half. Coaches, however, can also throw a red flag to challenge on close plays.

"We will continue to address the particular circumstances in Dallas, giving full consideration to the competitive, safety and fan experience issues involved," commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. "The Cowboys have been fully cooperative as we have addressed this subject, and we will continue to work closely with the club on a longer term resolution."

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was not immediately available for comment.

------

Jones has been a staunch defender of the height of his boards for various reasons, including how much time and money it could cost to hike them. (They cost about $40 million to install.)

Jones insists the boards aren't in the way when punters kick toward the sideline as they're supposed to do. Thus, Jones -- and Cowboys punter Mat McBriar -- say this has become a big issue only because Titans punters intentionally kicked high and down the middle to try hitting the boards.