Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 04:32 PM)
You know they play in a dome right?

I was talking about their games against the Bears at Soldier Field.

If you remember, Vick got his ass handed to him in that game back in 05 where it was like -10.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 04:37 PM)

If you remember, Vick got his ass handed to him in that game back in 05 where it was like -10.

Seems we forgot that he was the first visiting QB to win a playoff game at Lambeau.

That's 2 guaranteed games a year he has to play in the cold. He will play 8 home games in a dome and a game vs Detroit in the dome. I really don't think the cold thing matters as Mhizzle said about winning the game in Green Bay. Although, I think that was more thanks to GB's slow, old defense.

However, I think being away from the game for so long along with natural aging will hurt him more than the weather.

I think that had more to do with the teams than the individual player. As stated twice, no problem winning in Lambeau. Honestly, I don't think weather makes that much of a difference to him.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 03:37 PM)
They have Garcia and Russell.

And Garcia is old and Russell hasn't shown a good work ethic. And it's not like Al Davis shies away from controversy; if anything, he is drawn to it. I could definitely see Davis signing Vick.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 11:25 PM)
How much cap space does Chicago have?

Can they find a backup QB and DB in veteran waivers after the preseason?

I don't know the exact numbers, but they are in good shape with the cap.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 10:36 PM)
I don't know the exact numbers, but they are in good shape with the cap.

Plus, players who just got cut aren't very expensive to begin with.

I still have no problem with having Hanie as the backup QB. As I've said before, if Cutler gets injured, I'd much rather see a young guy with some potential rather than an old washed up vet getting the playing time.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 09:16 PM)
And Garcia is old and Russell hasn't shown a good work ethic. And it's not like Al Davis shies away from controversy; if anything, he is drawn to it. I could definitely see Davis signing Vick.

Russell is a former no. 1 pick, is loaded with potential, has shown flashes, and the Raiders future is riding on him. They will be giving him every oppurtunity to start.

And Garcia is still solid and a good guy to have behind Russell and help push him and maybe even teach him a thing or two.

However, I could definitely see Davis going after Vick. However, it won't be as anything more than 3rd string QB and perhaps even move him to WR. Perhaps they form a "wildcat" (I hate the term wildcat. It's basically the spread option and all you do is run 99.9% of the time) with him at QB.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 10:43 PM)
Plus, players who just got cut aren't very expensive to begin with.

I still have no problem with having Hanie as the backup QB. As I've said before, if Cutler gets injured, I'd much rather see a young guy with some potential rather than an old washed up vet getting the playing time.

what if he breaks his index finger and is out for 3 games? Then you'd also rather have the young guy with potential who is very likely to lose all 3 of those games because the receivers have suddenly gotten worse?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 10:52 PM)
what if he breaks his index finger and is out for 3 games? Then you'd also rather have the young guy with potential who is very likely to lose all 3 of those games because the receivers have suddenly gotten worse?

I would understand if we were talking about someone good, but I don't see how a Brad Johnson type gives us a better chance to win than Hanie.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 10:25 PM)
How much cap space does Chicago have?

Can they find a backup QB and DB in veteran waivers after the preseason?

One great thing about JA and the Bears' front office is that they are always in great position with cap space. They currently are about $17M below the cap.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 11:07 PM)
I would understand if we were talking about someone good, but I don't see how a Brad Johnson type gives us a better chance to win than Hanie.

"Good" and "backup QB" are not exactly synonymous. Of course, they could have signed the first big-time signing of the UFL, JP Losman, as their backup QB, and he'd pretty much be exactly what they were looking for. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to sign a training cap casualty to be the short-term backup QB who would only play if Cutler were out 1-4 games, only to try and manage the team to a win or two. If Cutler goes out for the year, that's when it would be wise to go with Hanie.

A team to watch would be the Bucs, again, though they may be working under the same thought process I am thinking of - if McCown gets hurt for a little bit, go with Leftwich; if it's a long time, go with Freeman. Of course, if Freeman shows enough in training camp, Leftwich could either get cut or be a trade possibility.

I will say that this post is mainly a post to back up what I was initially saying, but the Bears went 9-7 with Orton as the starter last year. He's decent, but nothing great, and they relied (probably too much) on Forte offensively and the defense last season. If Cutler's gone for 3-4 games, there's really no problem with Hanie starting, as Forte and the defense might pull out 1-2 of those games. Brad Johnson though honestly wouldn't be the worst idea, he's just not a good idea. He played in a pretty explosive passing offense in Dallas, and he is not that type of QB. That's just a QB not matching the offense, and it was an error on the Cowboys part. I honestly don't think he'd be a terrible addition, as the Bears offense seems to be pretty vanilla, and he would fit it OK as a backup, and he could give advice to Cutler and mentor Hanie. That's if he wants to play again.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 03:57 AM)
Of course, they could have signed the first big-time signing of the UFL, JP Losman, as their backup QB, and he'd pretty much be exactly what they were looking for.

Im pretty sure he said the only reason he signed there was because he had no desire to back up in the NFL right now.. not that it really matters, but since I just saw this the other day ide throw it out there.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 04:20 PM)
Favre will stay retired.

It's finally, officially, mercifully dead.

Vikings coach Brad Childress announced Tuesday that free agent Brett Favre has decided to stay retired.

Childress says Favre cited the "daily grind" as the main reason he won't keep playing. "I just think it was a rare opportunity to explore a Hall of Fame quarterback," Childress said of why the Vikings pursued the indecisive 39-year-old. "This doesn’t change anything about how I feel about our football team." The decision isn't as shocking as it would've been a month ago, but it's still a stunner. Favre has detested surgery since his 1996 painkillers addiction, but went through with a biceps operation in May anyways. We're definitely not expecting a teary "goodbye" press conference this time around. Jul. 28 - 4:59 pm et

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 05:19 PM)
Eagles Defensive Coordinator Jim Johnson passes away at the age of 66.

Sad. We lose one of the best defensive coordinators maybe ever.

Oh wow, that's really sad. I always liked Johnson a ton as a DC, and was always jealous of how aggressive the Eagles were when the Bears still had Greg "sacks are overrated" Blache running the show.