Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After listening to a reporter ask Plaxico yesterday about his next team possibilities if he gets away with his thigh shooting incident, I am starting to come to terms with the fact that he has a very good chance of becoming a Bear, past be damned

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 08:08 AM)
After listening to a reporter ask Plaxico yesterday about his next team possibilities if he gets away with his thigh shooting incident, I am starting to come to terms with the fact that he has a very good chance of becoming a Bear, past be damned

I would have no problem with the Bears bringing in Plaxico, in fact I would strongly approve of it. I still think he's going to be in jail during the 2009 regular season though.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 10:57 AM)
I would have no problem with the Bears bringing in Plaxico, in fact I would strongly approve of it. I still think he's going to be in jail during the 2009 regular season though.

either M&H or B&B were indicating the other day that there is a strong possibility of a plea bargain with no jail time for Plax. We shall see

You forget about Greg Olsen's quickness until you see the tight end split the safeties. On one play during team drills, Olsen ran right between Craig Steltz and Kevin Payne to haul in a long touchdown pass. If that's open in the regular season, look out. I should point out that Payne blew the coverage, but Olsen is a difference-maker, and continues to be Jay Cutler's favorite target.

Bears blog, espn.com/chicago

This is 100% true. I had a dream last night of a Jay Cutler-led Bear teams just flat-out dominating the Packers. I woke up absolutely positive this couldn’t be real, because the Bears don’t have a QB. Then I realized. ;) I love being a Bears fan now.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 01:14 PM)
I'm glad we have Cutler cause otherwise we'd see the Bears and Vick in the same sentence (from reporters, not necessarily that the Bears front office would go after him).

Considering how much we've heard from people on the Bears about Plax

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 03:14 PM)
I'm glad we have Cutler cause otherwise we'd see the Bears and Vick in the same sentence (from reporters, not necessarily that the Bears front office would go after him).

I dunno... we do need a back-up QB. Also we could put him in our version of the Wildcat, named "the cajun-cane-dog abuser"

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 03:14 PM)

I'd love Vick on the Bears. We could sign him to a cheap 1 year deal (unless someone wants to give him more), and use him in our version of the Wildcat and maybe only play him 5-10 plays a game. But, he would be extremely effective in that small of a workload. Also, on the local radio in Memphis, they had some NFL analyst on a couple weeks ago and he mentioned Chicago as one of the possible destinations for Vick. I'm sure it's just speculation on his part, but I kinda liked hearing us mentioned anyway.

Link

Free-agent receiver Plaxico Burress is being marketed around the NFL as completely available for every game this season.

The New York Jets are said to be listening.

Burress' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, told Fox affiliate WSVN in Miami he's optimistic the former New York Giants star "will be able to play unobstructed" this year.

The expectation from Burress' support team is that he won't stand trial for felony gun charges until after the season and that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will wait that long to issue any suspension.

"We are hopeful that the commissioner will not suspend Plax," Rosenhaus said Sunday night. "He's already been suspended by the Giants last year, five games. Since there hasn't been a resolution in the case, there's really no reason to suspend him."

Burress accidentally shot himself with a Glock semiautomatic pistol at a Manhattan nightclub in November. He was arraigned on counts of second-degree criminal possession of a loaded gun and an unlicensed weapon. There's a mandatory minimum sentence of 3½ years.

Burress is scheduled to appear in court Monday, but defense attorney Benjamin Brafman told the New York Daily News over the weekend that the case almost certainly will be delayed.

"In talking to Plax's attorney, his feeling is that a trial is not going to take place until after the season," Rosenhaus said. "He believes that after all these delays -- again, Plax hasn't been indicted yet, either -- it's going to be a very lengthy process to get to trial, and that will take place after the season.

"Our hope is, based on this information, that he will be able to play unobstructed this year, without having a trial, and he can get a season in and then deal with the legal issues after the season.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Chicago Bears are other teams that have been linked to him. Rosenhaus previously said the Miami Dolphins (another team in need of a receiving threat) have not been interested in Burress.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)
I'd love Vick on the Bears. We could sign him to a cheap 1 year deal (unless someone wants to give him more), and use him in our version of the Wildcat and maybe only play him 5-10 plays a game. But, he would be extremely effective in that small of a workload. Also, on the local radio in Memphis, they had some NFL analyst on a couple weeks ago and he mentioned Chicago as one of the possible destinations for Vick. I'm sure it's just speculation on his part, but I kinda liked hearing us mentioned anyway.

The Bears cant take the PR hit they would get - deservedly. Vick deserves the death penalty.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 03:59 PM)
The Bears cant take the PR hit they would get - deservedly. Vick deserves the death penalty.

I love dogs and animals in general as much as anyone, but that is ridiculous.

Are you going to give the death penalty to people who fight chickens for sport too? I mean, they are animals too.

Where do draw the line?

What about Mink farms which rip the skin and fur off while the mink is still conscious?

Here is a WR for the Bears...

Report: Marshall requests trade

Brandon Marshall has requested a trade according to KOA.

Our View: This might finally be the end of the line for the gifted, but troubled, wide receiver in Denver. Without Jay Cutler, it was already unclear how valuable Marshall would be this season. Potential owners will just have to take a wait-and-see approach to who will be passing him the ball this season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 05:02 PM)
Without a 1st rounder I can't see what the Bears have to give up that would remotely interest Denver.

Agreed. If we acquire Marshall, it's not going to be by trade. We'd have to hope he's just straight-up released.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 06:02 PM)
Without a 1st rounder I can't see what the Bears have to give up that would remotely interest Denver.

Yeah, but think of it like this. If you're a GM you've got a lot of leverage to drive the price down. First off behavior issues, secondly injury concerns (kind of what this whole thing is centered around), thirdly the Broncos' motivation is only that they have to dump him, fourth you can point to Cutler and say that was a big reason he had those 100-catch seasons. Whether all of this is true or not is irrelevant, but the Broncos are not in a position of strength and they have to sit back and hope someone blows them away in a bidding war like Angelo and Snyder did.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 05:02 PM)

eh, McDaniels doesnt know what to do with first rounders anyway, he is probably done asking for those.