Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 12:39 PM)
According to TMZ, Mike Vick was at O'Hare last night. I don't think the Bears would take him, but it worries me with all this news about him signing at the end of this week. http://www.tmz.com/2009/08/12/michael-vick...l-bearing-down/

Unless he's converting to WR or RB, we dont have a spot for him. He wont want to be a backup.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 01:05 PM)
Unless he's converting to WR or RB, we dont have a spot for him. He wont want to be a backup.

Imagine the wildcat formation with Vick. Double reverse with Vick and Hester. Man that'd be sweet

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 01:05 PM)

He is going to HAVE to be a backup QB if he wants to continue playing the position. No team is suddenly going to make a guy who has been out of the game for 2 years who was never a good actual QB to begin with a starter during the 3rd week of training camp.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 03:36 AM)
He is going to HAVE to be a backup QB if he wants to continue playing the position. No team is suddenly going to make a guy who has been out of the game for 2 years who was never a good actual QB to begin with a starter during the 3rd week of training camp.

He won his teams at the QB position. His most valuable position is that of a QB. Was he a good fantasy Qb? No, but I think it is definitely overstated when people say he was never actually good.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 12:13 PM)
He won his teams at the QB position. His most valuable position is that of a QB. Was he a good fantasy Qb? No, but I think it is definitely overstated when people say he was never actually good.

I think you have that backwards. He was more valuable in fantasy than to his team. Regardless, he's been out of the game for multiple seasons, there's no way he expects to compete for a job right away.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 12:13 PM)

In the 4 years that Vick was healthy and starting full-time, the Falcons went 35-28-1. That's an average of a 9-7 record. And during those seasons, the defense was pretty damn solid too. Michael Vick was never a franchise QB, just a QB who could run around and throw the ball 70 yards.

Donte Stallworth suspended the full season.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)
In the 4 years that Vick was healthy and starting full-time, the Falcons went 35-28-1. That's an average of a 9-7 record. And during those seasons, the defense was pretty damn solid too. Michael Vick was never a franchise QB, just a QB who could run around and throw the ball 70 yards.

Donte Stallworth suspended the full season.

Vick won many games with his feet, and the ability to throw the ball. Was he a Brad Johnson? No, but he could throw the ball 70 yards without setting his feet. And he really never had any receivers and made Alge Crumpler look good. I think he may have have Roddy White for one year before hitting the slammer. The playoff game against the Packers, he won on his own. Hell, he carried that team way farther than they should ever have gone.

And Stallworth getting off as easy as he did is a joke. The guy killed a man, and drove drunk. If it were you or me, we'd be locked up and the key close to being thrown away. Instead, he gets 29 days in jail and a one year ban. But yet Mike Vick got much worse for dogs.

Here's why I say what I did about the Stallworth situation.

It's a tragedy, yes. But Stallworth has handled this as best as you can every step of the way. No prior records. Also, the family of the man who was killed seems to be okay with his joke of a jail sentence & whatever settlement that they recieved.

I know Goodell wants to uphold the integrity of the league but this isn't a Pacman Jones or a Rae Carruth situation we're talking about here. Basically, it wasn't premeditated. Basically Stallworth is being made an example by good ol' Roger. It's not as if this is going to make players anymore aware of the dangers of driving under the influence. So instead of dealing with the situation in a positive manner, it's set to hang over the NFL all season.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 05:55 PM)
Vick won many games with his feet, and the ability to throw the ball. Was he a Brad Johnson? No, but he could throw the ball 70 yards without setting his feet. And he really never had any receivers and made Alge Crumpler look good. I think he may have have Roddy White for one year before hitting the slammer. The playoff game against the Packers, he won on his own. Hell, he carried that team way farther than they should ever have gone.

He also lost games because teams stuffed his running attempts and he was going to depend on that because he was inconsistent as a passer. When teams were able to contain his running ability, the Falcons had no chance.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 07:30 PM)
Here's why I say what I did about the Stallworth situation.

It's a tragedy, yes. But Stallworth has handled this as best as you can every step of the way. No prior records. Also, the family of the man who was killed seems to be okay with his joke of a jail sentence & whatever settlement that they recieved.

I know Goodell wants to uphold the integrity of the league but this isn't a Pacman Jones or a Rae Carruth situation we're talking about here. Basically, it wasn't premeditated. Basically Stallworth is being made an example by good ol' Roger. It's not as if this is going to make players anymore aware of the dangers of driving under the influence. So instead of dealing with the situation in a positive manner, it's set to hang over the NFL all season.

I'm sorry, but the guy got drunk and high and killed someone with his car. Just because the victims family was happy enough to exchange the family member for a large sum of money means that Stallworth deserves leniency?