Sox @ Rays, 6:08, WGN

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Would someone PLEASE inform Ozzie that Getz hits lefties as well or better than righties, and that Lilli is not a major league hitter?

I sure as hell hope someone does, and soon. Every day Lillibridge starts retards Getz' growth and undermines his growing confidence.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 18, 2009 -> 01:54 PM)
Would someone PLEASE inform Ozzie that Getz hits lefties as well or better than righties, and that Lilli is not a major league hitter?

I sure as hell hope someone does, and soon. Every day Lillibridge starts retards Getz' growth and undermines his growing confidence.

I'm convinced that Ozzie doesn't even look at L-R splits.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 18, 2009 -> 12:14 PM)

I don't doubt that you're right, and that's criminal in this age of information.

:gosoxretro: I KNOW this is not the correct place to post this question.

I'm new to this forum.

I am a fairly new Sox fan.

I became a Scott Linebrink fan when he was with the Padres.

When he went to the Sox, I became a fan and follower of the Sox.

For several reasons.

I love Ozzie.

I love Q.

I love Sox baseball and watch games as often as we can. We have already attended several games in LA and Anaheim.

I believe in them.

I went to Spring Training in AZ this year and went to 2 Sox workouts and 2 Sox games at the new facility, which is beautiful, by the way.

(I will gladly post photos, but have not found the place to do this.)

I hope this is enough background to convince people that I am not a troll.

Anyways, my sister and I attended a game at LA last year, in Sox gear, when the Sox played LA in LA.

Jermaine Dye came out, walking to his place out in right field.

While he was walking, he was obviously looking towards our section.

We were in Sox gear, in the 2nd row.

He spotted us, sitting in the section next to the Sox bullpen.

He started to look at us, then pointed both fingers at us.

(We thought he was pointing to the bullpen at the time. Like in a greeting.)

We didnt know to do anything, so we didnt. We only smiled.

Then he put his hands on his hips, and looked at us as if to say, "Well?"

Then he shrugged his shoulders.

Then, after getting no response out of us, except for smiling at him,

he pointed 2 fingers at his eyes, then 2 fingers at us, like "Okay. I'm watching YOU."

We had no way to know he had "chosen" us for some ritual of which we knew not of.

The point is, my sister is going to a Sox game next weekend, at US Cellular, for the first time.

She will be attending with an, ew, Cubs fan friend of hers.

Sis would like to know is there some ritual that Jermaine does when he gets out to RF in the first inning?

Or was this just a random thing he did because he spotted 2 Sox fans out there?

If it is some sort of ritual he does, what is the proper way for us to respond to this?

She, and us in the future, when we attend games in LA, Anaheim and wherever else, to see the Sox, want to know what the

correct response is to Jermaine, if anyone knows.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Would the admin please place this question in the right location.

The "search" feature was turned off when I went looking for the correct location

to place this in.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 18, 2009 -> 01:14 PM)

I highly doubt it either. Which is why i love Maddon, Gardy, M.S. etc.. as managers. And please Ozzie, stop taking out BA in late innings. Give the guy some confidence for once.

QUOTE (rexy2006 @ Apr 18, 2009 -> 04:50 PM)
:gosoxretro: I KNOW this is not the correct place to post this question.

I'm new to this forum.

I am a fairly new Sox fan.

I became a Scott Linebrink fan when he was with the Padres.

When he went to the Sox, I became a fan and follower of the Sox.

For several reasons.

I love Ozzie.

I love Q.

I love Sox baseball and watch games as often as we can. We have already attended several games in LA and Anaheim.

I believe in them.

I went to Spring Training in AZ this year and went to 2 Sox workouts and 2 Sox games at the new facility, which is beautiful, by the way.

(I will gladly post photos, but have not found the place to do this.)

I hope this is enough background to convince people that I am not a troll.

Anyways, my sister and I attended a game at LA last year, in Sox gear, when the Sox played LA in LA.

Jermaine Dye came out, walking to his place out in right field.

While he was walking, he was obviously looking towards our section.

We were in Sox gear, in the 2nd row.

He spotted us, sitting in the section next to the Sox bullpen.

He started to look at us, then pointed both fingers at us.

(We thought he was pointing to the bullpen at the time. Like in a greeting.)

We didnt know to do anything, so we didnt. We only smiled.

Then he put his hands on his hips, and looked at us as if to say, "Well?"

Then he shrugged his shoulders.

Then, after getting no response out of us, except for smiling at him,

he pointed 2 fingers at his eyes, then 2 fingers at us, like "Okay. I'm watching YOU."

We had no way to know he had "chosen" us for some ritual of which we knew not of.

The point is, my sister is going to a Sox game next weekend, at US Cellular, for the first time.

She will be attending with an, ew, Cubs fan friend of hers.

Sis would like to know is there some ritual that Jermaine does when he gets out to RF in the first inning?

Or was this just a random thing he did because he spotted 2 Sox fans out there?

If it is some sort of ritual he does, what is the proper way for us to respond to this?

She, and us in the future, when we attend games in LA, Anaheim and wherever else, to see the Sox, want to know what the

correct response is to Jermaine, if anyone knows.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Would the admin please place this question in the right location.

The "search" feature was turned off when I went looking for the correct location

to place this in.

Welcome to Soxtalk!

I've sat out in RF at away games before (Camden Yards, with a Dye jersey on even) and I've never seen him do anything like that before. I think it was just some random spur of the moment type thing. In fact he's usually pretty quiet and doesn't pay much attention to the crowd, except once on a foul ball he stopped find a kid he could throw the ball to.

By the way, you can put these kinds of questions in Pale Hose Talk.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 18, 2009 -> 02:57 PM)
I highly doubt it either. Which is why i love Maddon, Gardy, M.S. etc.. as managers. And please Ozzie, stop taking out BA in late innings. Give the guy some confidence for once.

Wait a second...you're complaining because the move that Ozzie made actually worked out and Betemit got a hit in that situation?

Well, you could argue he should have used the PH for Alexei Ramirez, but hasn't Ramirez earned the chance to work through his struggles based on last year...and the falloff to Betemit at SS (then you have to burn another player to put in Lillibridge) compared to Owens/Lillibridge in CF is greater.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 18, 2009 -> 03:35 PM)
Wait a second...you're complaining because the move that Ozzie made actually worked out and Betemit got a hit in that situation?

Well, you could argue he should have used the PH for Alexei Ramirez, but hasn't Ramirez earned the chance to work through his struggles based on last year...and the falloff to Betemit at SS (then you have to burn another player to put in Lillibridge) compared to Owens/Lillibridge in CF is greater.

I'm with you 'field. BA has to earn Ozzie's confidence to stay in the game in that situation. Getting a runner home from third with less than two outs, ANY runner, would be a nice start.

I like BA as much as the next guy, but so far he hasn't shown me anything at the dish that we didn't see in '06 - which is to say ineptitude.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 18, 2009 -> 12:54 PM)

And we wonder why veteran left handed hitters are so god awful against lefties, that's going to happen when they get no big league experience against them early in their careers. If Getz is going to sit in favor of the god awful Brent Lillibridge every time the Sox go up against a left handed starter then Chris is going to struggle to hit lefty relievers late in games that he starts. Even without looking at splits it's obvious that Chris Getz is a MUCH better bet than Lillibridge against a lefty starter even if he is a left handed hitter because he's a much more skilled/polished offensive talent. (and then there's the whole "Getz actually hit lefties better than righties in the minors" thing)

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 18, 2009 -> 02:08 PM)
Welcome to Soxtalk!

I've sat out in RF at away games before (Camden Yards, with a Dye jersey on even) and I've never seen him do anything like that before. I think it was just some random spur of the moment type thing. In fact he's usually pretty quiet and doesn't pay much attention to the crowd, except once on a foul ball he stopped find a kid he could throw the ball to.

By the way, you can put these kinds of questions in Pale Hose Talk.

Thanks for the greetings!

And thanks for the response. It makes it more curiouser, still. Spur of the moment sounds right.

We didnt want him to do it again and not know what to do. It doesnt appear that will be a problem.

I hope Buehrle can hold down the fort.

I think Scott is due to pitch, so if they need him, he'll do well.

GO SOX!

BTW, any game we go to now(we are Padre seasonticketholders), if our pitcher strikes a guy out, sis and I yell "HE GONE!"

And, if one of our boys hits a HR, we yell, "You can put it on the boardddd, YES!"

Of course we do this at any Sox game we attend as well.

When we are not at a Sox game, everyone around us think we're mental, but we don't care. :headbang

GO SOX! GO PADRES! GO SPURS!

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 18, 2009 -> 04:21 PM)
And we wonder why veteran left handed hitters are so god awful against lefties, that's going to happen when they get no big league experience against them early in their careers. If Getz is going to sit in favor of the god awful Brent Lillibridge every time the Sox go up against a left handed starter then Chris is going to struggle to hit lefty relievers late in games that he starts. Even without looking at splits it's obvious that Chris Getz is a MUCH better bet than Lillibridge against a lefty starter even if he is a left handed hitter because he's a much more skilled/polished offensive talent. (and then there's the whole "Getz actually hit lefties better than righties in the minors" thing)

To be fair, the minor league splits are very close, but your point is well made. There are many good reasons NOT to designate a player as a platoon guy, when it's unnecessary, and you've hit on a big one.

Somebody really needs to get in Ozzie's or Walk's ear on playing Getz every day, but it will probably only happen when Lilli sucks his way back to the minors. Actually though, it'll probably be a needless platoon with Nix at that point. How many games are we going to lose in the meantime from lousy "table-setting" against lefties? Who knows?

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 18, 2009 -> 04:37 PM)
To be fair to Ozzie, there aren't sliders in the minors from LHP like what Liriano and Kazmir will throw. If he starts going with these types of lineups against Horacio Ramirez-esque LHP, then I'll worry.

Well, sure, Getz will face tougher pitchers and pitches, but there's nothing (at this point) to say he can't adjust, because he has a good eye, and he'll learn to lay off those pitches that usually wind up low and away. Whether he does or not, and whether he can learn from early mistakes, are things the team needs to know about him - the sooner the better. If Lillibridge had shown at any higher level of MiLB or MLB that he murdered lefties that would be one thing, but the guy hasn't earned the AB's he'll get with a platoon. On this team, Lilli should be a once-every-two weeks-off-day-provider for the middle infield and CF, and a pinch runner.