Sox scouts on the lookout for young OF prospects

southsider2k5

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0...0,1163889.story

That was Jayson Nix's outfield debut

White Sox infielder said he never had played there until Monday night

By Mark Gonzales | Tribune reporter

May 6, 2009

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Jayson Nix said he never had played a game in the outfield until the eighth inning of the White Sox's loss Monday night at Kansas City.

That should reinforce the message general manager Ken Williams sent to his scouts to keep a close watch on young outfield prospects this spring for potential trades, a team source said.

Williams has addressed specific areas successfully in recent off-seasons.

After targeting young pitching prospects in 2006, Williams acquired John Danks from Texas and Gavin Floyd from Philadelphia.

Before the 2008 season, Williams put an emphasis on third basemen, especially because Joe Crede was expected to leave for free agency. Williams was able to restock the farm system by acquiring John Gilmore in a deal with Atlanta last November and later signing Cuban Dayan Viciedo to a four-year, $10 million contract.

Addressing the outfield before the 2009 season made sense because right fielder Jermaine Dye is in the final year of his contract. The Sox recently let Jerry Owens go to free agency after he refused his outright assignment to Triple-A Charlotte.

The lack of depth in the outfield became more revealing last month when Dewayne Wise (right shoulder separation) and Brian Anderson (right oblique strain) were placed on the disabled list.

"That's the way the game works, but you have to be ready," said Nix, who made a putout in right field.

Guillen put Nix in the outfield after Scott Podsednik grounded into a double play, forcing Guillen to use Wilson Betemit as a pinch-hitter for Brent Lillibridge.

"It was an emergency," Guillen said.

"It's not something we're going to do every day. Hopefully we don't have to do that more often, but now we know he can be there for one inning or a couple of hitters."

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was an article in spring training about this, too...when the leadoff hitter issue was at the forefront...he went to a CAL game that weekend, supposedly scouting college OFers who were possible leadoff hitters.

There's no doubt that Shelby and Jordan Danks are at least 1 1/2 years away from contributing...

Other than that, we have Gartrell who might become a prospect if he has a really good season at Birmingham.

Viciedo, if they decide to stay with Fields at 3B, would seem ticketed for LF or DH...but he also, right now, looks about 1 1/2 years away.

So who would be our trade chips then to get someone like Lastings Milledge? It would seem like there's no one we could really send to the Nationals (pitching starved), so it would have to be an outfielder on a contending team that we could possibly trade someone like Dye to at the deadline. I'm happy to hear this type of stuff though, as we really could use an athletic outfielder.

Cody Ross from the Marlins, Milledge from the Nats, Dickerson from the Reds could all be had for a decent price. Not sure we'd want them though. Given their respective attitudes and question marks surrounding them.

Edited by Thunderbolt

Shelby and Danks are plenty athletic...there's some question, though, whether Shelby can legitimately play major league CF.

Scenario would be able to discuss this, because I think Shelby mostly played LF last year, at least that was my impression, after they moved him off the infield. Shelby III seems to be one of his favorite players. Cutting down strikeouts is one of the biggest issues for both, although Danks has improved in that area recently.

Ultimately, I don't think BA will make it here in Chicago (there are questions about Fields and Ramirez, too), but KW has to let him play from mid-May through mid-July and see if he can legitimately win the position and keep it. No platoon with Pods or Wise, just play him everyday. Same thing with Fields (with some Betemit against tough RHP) and Ramirez.

The trade chips would have to be Shelby OR Danks, Poreda (if they don't see him as a starter) and possibly Getz, but only if Fields and Ramirez play like expected for the remainder of 2009 (because Beckham has to go somewhere, and MOST logically to SS or 2B).

So Shelby OR Danks, Poreda (but we will need to replace at least two starters next year, probably) and Getz/Ramirez/Fields (one of the three).

It's not like Milledge has established beyond a reasonable doubt (especially low OBP), that he would be the answer in the tougher AL. And Dukes is the wildcard with that organization...not sure if they would be willing to give up on Lastings quite yet. Hopefully KW is smart enough to stay away from Eric Byrnes...but it would be REALLY nice if the D-Backs would give up on Justin Upton.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 6, 2009 -> 06:39 AM)
Shelby and Danks are plenty athletic...there's some question, though, whether Shelby can legitimately play major league CF.

Scenario would be able to discuss this, because I think Shelby mostly played LF last year, at least that was my impression, after they moved him off the infield. Shelby III seems to be one of his favorite players. Cutting down strikeouts is one of the biggest issues for both, although Danks has improved in that area recently.

According to a milb.com article, Shelby was selected in a survey of Carolina League managers as the most exciting offensive player in the league last year.

And when you look at the power-speed package... 37 doubles, 7 triples, 15 homeruns, 33 stolen bases, only 5 caught stealing... you can see why.

On the other hand, last year was his first full year as an outfielder, so he still needs some work there; and his plate discipline still causes some concerns. Strikeouts isn't the issue as much as his lack of walks.

But this year, it's looking better. As of last night, 12 BB's, in 79 at-bats. (He only had 22 walks last year in 447 at-bats. So he obviously is working on it.)

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ May 6, 2009 -> 06:51 AM)
According to a milb.com article, Shelby was selected in a survey of Carolina League managers as the most exciting offensive player in the league last year.

And when you look at the power-speed package... 37 doubles, 7 triples, 15 homeruns, 33 stolen bases, only 5 caught stealing... you can see why.

On the other hand, last year was his first full year as an outfielder; and his plate discipline still causes some concerns.

But this year, the K/BB looks much better. As of last night, 13 K's and 12 BB's, in 79 at-bats. (He only had 22 walks last year in 447 at-bats. So he obviously is working on it.)

How old is Shelby? Seems like we've been talking about him for a few years now on ST.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 6, 2009 -> 06:52 AM)
How old is Shelby? Seems like we've been talking about him for a few years now on ST.

Turned 23 last August. Age-appropriate for AA.

(5 months older than Tyler Flowers and Brandon Allen who are also both 23. And 11 months older than Beckham and 1 year older than Jordan Danks, both 22.)

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 6, 2009 -> 06:39 AM)
but it would be REALLY nice if the D-Backs would give up on Justin Upton.

despite the slow start they kept playing him and now have moved him up to the 5-hole, i'd say they're pleased with the production. granted the hitting streak won't last forever but i think he's done a bit to quell the fears and will be on a longer leash.

QUOTE (scenario @ May 6, 2009 -> 06:51 AM)

On the other hand, last year was his first full year as an outfielder, so he still needs some work there; and his plate discipline still causes some concerns. Strikeouts isn't the issue as much as his lack of walks.

But this year, it's looking better. As of last night, 12 BB's, in 79 at-bats. (He only had 22 walks last year in 447 at-bats. So he obviously is working on it.)

Hitting leadoff is changing his approach, although I think he's better suited for the 2 hole, because he's racked up a ton of RBI's the last few years.

QUOTE (JDsDirtySox @ May 6, 2009 -> 10:50 AM)
Carlos Gonzalez of the Rockies.

A former top prospect of the DBacks.

Traded to the A's in the Haren Deal.

Traded to the Rockies in the Holliday Deal.

Now behind Dexter Fowler.

I love the kid.

I like this a lot. Kinda wishing i had though of it too.

To be fair a lot of teams passed up on Ellsbury because people feared that his only true tool was his speed. Turns out he is a tremendous leadoff hitter, but the Sox were far from the only team to pass on Ellsbury. Broadway was projected by most to get drafted in the range that the Sox took him. He really had pitched phenomanl down the stretch of his college career and looked like a safe bet to be a #3 pitcher. The problem is his command just isn't good enough and that spike curve hasn't been as dominant as it was in college.

I tend to note that most pitchers with a spike curveball tend to fail in the big's and I'm not certain why but my guess is (and its purely a guess as I've never thrown a spike curve in my life) that it has to do with the bigger seams in college making it easier to throw it well at the college level.

The pick that people should really gripe about is the Donny Lucy and Kyle McCulloch selections. Those were absolutely horrendous picks, along with the Wes Whisler selection.

On an unrelated sidenote, a lot of people could say that the Red Sox went safe with Pedroai, figuring they'd get a solid ballplayer with that pick but no one thought his tools would project him into a star at the major league level. Turns out he's quite the ballplayer.

Of course any of us could say that about a crapload of MLB players.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 6, 2009 -> 08:35 AM)
The pick that people should really gripe about is the Donny Lucy and Kyle McCulloch selections. Those were absolutely horrendous picks, along with the Wes Whisler selection.

I still wish we'd drafted the guy who went 2 picks after Casey Rogowski, but every other team in baseball missed on him 14 times too.