We need a new horse in the rotation

Jerksticks

KW knows pitching wins. Contreras is out; The in-house options cannot fit into his long term plans at SP. We have a stockpiled Minor System all of a sudden. Seems to me a trade for a SP is in order. Freddy Garcia type trade. A guy who takes it every 5 days and gives 6-7 strong. Someone who isn't viewed as on the market, why, because he's a stud and locked up for a couple years still.

I'm thinking a guy like Joe Saunders could be had with a nice package. Once their guys get healthy maybe he could be had. What are some other guys like this, that won't be talked about at the deadline?

Buehrle/Floyd/Danks/new stud will carry us far for many years.

It's unfortunate that we missed the boat with Edwin Jackson. Guy with great stuff, great arm, whose mental makeup perhaps needed a bit of massaging. Seems like he would have been a great candidate for Don Cooper.

Looks like the Tigers took a page out of Kenny's book there.

Anyone see any other candidates?

It's unfortunate that we missed the boat with Edwin Jackson. Guy with great stuff, great arm, whose mental makeup perhaps needed a bit of massaging. Seems like he would have been a great candidate for Don Cooper.

We almost traded for one this offseason.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 10, 2009 -> 01:19 AM)

Not that much out there. It still is a bit early to tell.

Theres always Pedro and Byrd in FA, don't believe either signed, rather try one of our young guys and go the cheap route.

As long as Floyd starts throwing we should be fine, Buehrle and Danks have been good and Colon has been respectable thus far. Our hitting sort of needs to wake up a bit, bottom of our lineup is dead.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 10, 2009 -> 12:25 AM)
David Dewitt Bailey... or "Homer" Bailey. :)

Oh that's right...forgot about that....I guess I was thinking more of someone who had struggled a bit more in the Major Leagues already ( I know he did briefly). But that is a good example.

Odalis Perez seems like the type of guy KW would go after. :-\

I agree with an earlier poster about Edwin Jackson. It seems like we could've gotten him for Broadway. :(

Any chance we can get Kason Gabbard from Boston? Or what about Justin Masterson? Masterson seems lost in the shuffle in Boston.

Tyler Clippard in, I think Washington, is another pitcher who's potential I'm interested in.

Edited by SouthsideDon48

I'd imagine, this year or offseason anyway, the sox would have to trade Josh Fields in order to get a guy with a high enough ceiling to be a "horse". Yet for 2009, the guy would have to be solid enough to be a 5th Starter, someone who can give them 6 innings a start. Of course, that potential horse would have to be underperforming [like Fields], but has the stuff/ makeup to put it together.

If Beckham can play 3b reasonably well, it could make Fields expendable. Esp. as the sox have other options at 3b in the minors with Viciedo and C.J. Retherford.

The place to look would be pitching rich teams in the minors and young solid SP's in the bigs that have a need for a position player like Fields.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE (beck72 @ May 10, 2009 -> 07:15 AM)
I'd imagine, this year or offseason anyway, the sox would have to trade Josh Fields in order to get a guy with a high enough ceiling to be a "horse". Yet for 2009, the guy would have to be solid enough to be a 5th Starter, someone who can give them 6 innings a start. Of course, that potential horse would have to be underperforming [like Fields], but has the stuff/ makeup to put it together.

If Beckham can play 3b reasonably well, it could make Fields expendable. Esp. as the sox have other options at 3b in the minors with Viciedo and C.J. Retherford.

The place to look would be pitching rich teams in the minors and young solid SP's in the bigs that have a need for a position player like Fields.

I don't think the current version of Josh Fields could get you anything but a potential "horse" that needs a lot of refinement. The White Sox had the opportunity to address this during the offseason when Contreras wasn't expected to be with the team let alone the starting rotation. They thought Marquez was a stud. Jon Garland on a 1 year contract would have looked very nice in a White Sox uniform. Too bad KW thought Marquez was the same pitcher and didn't want to spend any money.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 10, 2009 -> 12:55 PM)
I don't think the current version of Josh Fields could get you anything but a potential "horse" that needs a lot of refinement. The White Sox had the opportunity to address this during the offseason when Contreras wasn't expected to be with the team let alone the starting rotation. They thought Marquez was a stud. Jon Garland on a 1 year contract would have looked very nice in a White Sox uniform. Too bad KW thought Marquez was the same pitcher and didn't want to spend any money.

I'm not really thinking of the sox getting a horse. But a solid #4 or 5 starter. The sox would have to part with top prospects to even sniff a potential ace/ horse.

Teams should be looking to deal salaried players this deadline, as teams that are losing cash w/ low attendance, and need to shed salary could be trading partners. That should be able to fill the void if the sox still need a SP.

IMO, Garland wasn't worth the money-even in hindsight. Jon is throwing OK but that's in the NL.

Contreras should turn it around. His location and consistency isn't there. But his arm strength is.

Edited by beck72

Masterson would cost us more than Josh Fields right now...no way they'll part with him, he's a key member of their bullpen if he's not starting.

Odalis is a possibility. Looking back, in retrospect, the best approach to the off-season would have been dealing for Jackson (strictly a salary dump for Rays) and NOT signing Floyd to that three-year guaranteed contract. Colon has worked out beautifully so far.

Jackson would still be eligible to become a FA after this season, but the White Sox would have had just as good an opportunity as anyone to keep him in the fold.

A horse is a horse, of course, of course,

And no one can talk to a horse of course

That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mr. Ed.

Go right to the source and ask the horse

He'll give you the answer that you'll endorse.

He's always on a steady course.

Talk to Mr. Ed.

People yakkity yak a streak and waste your time of day

But Mister Ed will never speak unless he has something to say.

And this one'll talk 'til his voice is hoarse.

You never heard of a talking horse?

Well listen to this.

I am Mister Ed.

I think taking a chance on Oliver Perez would be a huge gamble, but I think we should take a look at the idea for a sec.

Paul Lo Duca was on a New York sports show and was talking about how Oliver's mechanic is the key to his succession, and once he has a bad inning, he starts to over think (which is what was going on with Floyd) and completely falls apart, I think if we gave it a shot, I think Peres would work out.

my back up plans are to sign Pedro and Sheets, now with Sheets, even though he won't be ready until sometime next season, you sign him but don't guarantee him any money until he proves himself, so when he returns and goes 0-4 with a 12.00 ERA or something, you don't have to give him any money except for the league minimum

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ May 10, 2009 -> 08:35 AM)
I think taking a chance on Oliver Perez would be a huge gamble, but I think we should take a look at the idea for a sec.

Paul Lo Duca was on a New York sports show and was talking about how Oliver's mechanic is the key to his succession, and once he has a bad inning, he starts to over think (which is what was going on with Floyd) and completely falls apart, I think if we gave it a shot, I think Peres would work out.

my back up plans are to sign Pedro and Sheets, now with Sheets, even though he won't be ready until sometime next season, you sign him but don't guarantee him any money until he proves himself, so when he returns and goes 0-4 with a 12.00 ERA or something, you don't have to give him any money except for the league minimum

So you think the Sox should consider bringing in a guy who has been worse than Contreras, makes more money than him and has 2 years after this one left on his contract? That is probably the worst idea I've heard in a long time.

As for some others mentioned in this thread:

Odalis Perez. I'm pretty sure he's been blackballed by MLB right now for what he pulled earlier, and if he's not, there is nothing to suggest he would be anything better than Contreras. Look at his AL numbers in 2007 in a pitcher's park in KC.

Pedro Martinez. Makes a lot of sense, however, he hasn't been too stellar in a pitcher's park in the NL the past couple years, wants a decent amount of money, and who knows exactly how long it would take him to be ready.

I'm afraid we are stuck with the old #5 starter of the day for now, like it was 5 or 6 years ago, and have to hope Contreras finds his control ASAP.

Sheets is probably going to the Rangers when he is healthy, before he decided on the tendon surgery he almost had a 2 year deal signed with the Rangers, and is currently rehabbing with the Rangers team doctors

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/fantasy/wsfb/news/i...&pid=282656

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 10, 2009 -> 09:18 AM)

And no one can talk to a horse of course

That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mr. Ed.

Go right to the source and ask the horse

He'll give you the answer that you'll endorse.

He's always on a steady course.

Talk to Mr. Ed.

People yakkity yak a streak and waste your time of day

But Mister Ed will never speak unless he has something to say.

And this one'll talk 'til his voice is hoarse.

You never heard of a talking horse?

Well listen to this.

I am Mister Ed.

The real question is... How can he hold a baseball?

My guess is that Richard goes back into the rotation. MAYBE Poreda comes up at some point if that doesn't work out. I just don't see Kenny trading for anybody this year. Considering that Pods is currently out starting CF, I see no evidence that Kenny will spend anything on a back-of-the-rotation starter.

Everyone in the league would love that, but fact is, Sheets and his agent (think it's Boras) don't want a league-minimum contract. The only way to realistically get him is to offer a 2-year deal worth like $10-12 million. And the Sox won't do that — in this market especially — because it makes no sense financially.