BearSox

Is Josh Fields a bust?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Josh Fields

• Yes
    • No
    • Still too early
    • He's not the bust, Greg Walker sucks

Is Josh Fields a bust? Outside of the early going, Josh Fields has been pitiful. His average is down, he's hitting for almost no power, not coming through in any situations, and is striking out at a record setting pace. Also, he is late on everything and struggles catching up to 90 mph fastballs. Also, it seems to me he has no clue what he's doing at the plate.

Personally, I've seen enough of Fields and I am willing to put the bust label on him. Maybe with a better hitting coach he can become a decent hitter. If Fields and/or Walker would smart, Fields would take this approach at the plate:

Back off the plate some and use a more straight away stance. Also, loosen up a bit, he seems very tense. His swing is slow, so he either needs to choke up an inch or use a lighter bat. At bat, he needs to step into the pitch and drive the ball to center field. If he does that, I think he could be much improved. However, it's easier said than done, and either Fields doesn't get it, Greg doesn't get it, or both.

Thoughts?

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 13, 2009 -> 09:17 PM)
doesn't sizemore have more K's than josh? Bust?

Fail on two accounts:

1. Sizemore is proven to be 10x the player Josh will ever be.

2. I never said K's were the reason he's a bust. K's factor in, but in today's game, you gotta look past K's a lot of times.

Also, they are both at 39.

Im gonna say no on the bust factor as of now. I chalk it up to him being the number two hitter for most of the season so far. Once they let him get back to the 7-8-9 area and he doesn't preform so well, then the bust tag will go out on him

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 13, 2009 -> 09:26 PM)
Fail on two accounts:

1. Sizemore is proven to be 10x the player Josh will ever be.

2. I never said K's were the reason he's a bust. K's factor in, but in today's game, you gotta look past K's a lot of times.

Also, they are both at 39.

why did you use it as part of your title then?

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 13, 2009 -> 09:56 PM)

You're supposed to ignore K's if it contradicts the stupid argument, obviously

He also hit 25 HR's as a rookie in 100 games? Or does this argument only work if you're bashing him?

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ May 13, 2009 -> 08:16 PM)
He also hit 25 HR's as a rookie in 100 games? Or does this argument only work if you're bashing him?

There's the rub.

Josh Fields clearly has talent. Worked his way up solidly through the minors, earned the right to be here, has had success here in the past. He's struggling now. He hopefully is smart enough to ask for help and learn. His issues are mechanical; they can be fixed. If they are fixed, then we've got a better player here than I thought we'd get, since I was genuinely scared that his defense was going to be a lot worse than it's been so far.

3 for 23 w/ 11 K, 1 BB and 1 RBI since he changed his f***ing number. He's seen his OPS drop .086 points since that day. That's right, I'm blaming Podsednik!

I'm a superstitious person myself even when I was playing ball. Josh really has to change it either back to #27, or go back to 22 when Pods is gone (BA and Wise come back) Preferably, like I said all season, please Josh... go back to #27 when you were putting up a .750+ ops

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 13, 2009 -> 09:25 PM)
3 for 23 w/ 11 K, 1 BB and 1 RBI since he changed his f***ing number. He's seen his OPS drop .086 points since that day. That's right, I'm blaming Podsednik!

Not to mention he is wearing #7..............................................................................

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 13, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
I'm a superstitious person myself even when I was playing ball. Josh really has to change it either back to #27, or go back to 22 when Pods is gone (BA and Wise come back) Preferably, like I said all season, please Josh... go back to #27 when you were putting up a .750+ ops

When he wore #27 he played like we'd expect Josh Fields to play.

When he wore #22 he played a lot like Scott Podsednik.

He now wears #7 and he's producing like Jerry f***ing Owens.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 13, 2009 -> 11:31 PM)
When he wore #27 he played like we'd expect Josh Fields to play.

When he wore #22 he played a lot like Scott Podsednik.

He now wears #7 and he's producing like Jerry f***ing Owens.

I was just about to make a similar post but went to put clothes in my laundry... f***.

Im gonna say no on the bust factor as of now. I chalk it up to him being the number two hitter for most of the season so far. Once they let him get back to the 7-8-9 area and he doesn't preform so well, then the bust tag will go out on him

He definitely is the King of Ohfers lately.

This is a serious question about the No. 2 hole. After the first at bat, does it really matter where you bat in the order? Is there some mathematical formula that says you will be the 2 hitter in every plate appearance? Of you sabermetricians out there ... does it really matter where you bat in the order after your first at bat if you are a 2 hitter?

Where is Josh's power? I thought he was going to be a home run, RBI guy?

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 13, 2009 -> 09:56 PM)

Um, cause that's the fun fact of the day. I saw that and was amazed. It just shows how badly he has been playing the past month.