Aaron Poreda called up

Jimbo's Drinker

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, that Aaron Poreda is not here to develop, he's here to produce out of the bullpen. And if he doesn't?

"I talked to him and made it real clear, 'If you don't pitch well, you're going to have O'Hare Airport next to you pretty soon,' '' Guillen explained. "I said, 'Did you arrive at Midway or O'Hare?' He said, 'O'Hare.' I said, ''Well, on the way back, Midway is closer.' Because this is to win. I think he can help us, I think our scouting report and our minor-league people said we can count on him to win. It's another good arm in the bullpen. This kid can be used as a long man, against anybody, lefty or righty, and he gives me another good arm in the pen.

"This isn't instructional league. I make it really clear to him, this isn't development. You're going to be treated the same way as everyone else. If you don't do the job, we have Southwest airlines waiting for you to go to Charlotte. That's the only one with nonstop, I already checked.''

by the way if you read who article by cowley ozzie had no decision on bringing up bechkham and was all kenny and minor leagues

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 06:35 PM)
First, that Aaron Poreda is not here to develop, he's here to produce out of the bullpen. And if he doesn't?

"I talked to him and made it real clear, 'If you don't pitch well, you're going to have O'Hare Airport next to you pretty soon,' '' Guillen explained. "I said, 'Did you arrive at Midway or O'Hare?' He said, 'O'Hare.' I said, ''Well, on the way back, Midway is closer.' Because this is to win. I think he can help us, I think our scouting report and our minor-league people said we can count on him to win. It's another good arm in the bullpen. This kid can be used as a long man, against anybody, lefty or righty, and he gives me another good arm in the pen.

"This isn't instructional league. I make it really clear to him, this isn't development. You're going to be treated the same way as everyone else. If you don't do the job, we have Southwest airlines waiting for you to go to Charlotte. That's the only one with nonstop, I already checked.''

by the way if you read who article by cowley ozzie had no decision on bringing up bechkham and was all kenny and minor leagues

Ozzie has done nothing but resist these kids coming up since day 1 of the season. It makes sense that Kenny telling him another kid was coming up may have caused an argument between the two of them.

My guess is Kenny gets to decide who to put on the roster, but Ozzie gets to decide who actually plays.

I'm sure this is often a source of "spirited debate," if you will.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 07:14 PM)
What in the hell is wrong with Ozzie? Is it too much to give these kids some encouragement? We absolutely need a new manager if we go into rebuilding mode.

agreed 100%, he's going to be terrible with a younger team

You know, I'm glad Guillen told him this.

I'm not suggesting it's encouraging for a young pitcher to here, but it's entirely within his own power. You want to remain here? Don't give up 5 HRs over your first five appearances. Don't walk walk the leadoff hitter every other outting.

He shouldn't be babied. If he never wants to return, do what few White Sox prospects do and succeed immediately. It's entirely within his control.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 02:32 PM)
Per the ever-reliable Wikipedia...

Youkilis is the son of a Jewish jewelry wholesaler of Romanian heritage.

Interesting twist to the story found in an SI article from October 19, 2007:

Youkilis' family history reads like a Michael Chabon novel: In 19th-century Romania males were conscripted into the military when they reached their 16th birthday. The Cossacks in the region weren't known for their tolerance of minorities, so many Jews tried to avoid enlisting in the army. Youkilis's great-great-great-grandfather -- nobody is sure what his first name was, but the family name was Weiner (pronounced Winer, actually) -- escaped to Greece, where the family had friends. After a year or two, according to family lore, he became homesick and returned to Romania, but in order to avoid the army, or jail, he passed himself off as a Greek by assuming the name Youkilis.

So it turns out that Youkilis, who first attracted the notice of most baseball fans when Oakland A's general manager Billy Beane dubbed him Euclis, the Greek God of Walks in Michael Lewis' 2003 bestseller Moneyball, isn't Greek at all, which is a great disappointment to the many Hellenic fans who have approached him. "It's kind of sad," says Youkilis. "Greeks are very proud of their heritage."

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 05:55 PM)
Remember the commercials where he uses one hand?

The best part is that Poreda's interview today on AM 1000 was talking about how he expected AJ to haze him... He gets to fill Buehrle's part from the commercial :lolhitting

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 07:14 PM)
What in the hell is wrong with Ozzie? Is it too much to give these kids some encouragement? We absolutely need a new manager if we go into rebuilding mode.

This is how I feel.

Thank god we didn't have the #1 pick b/c I have a feeling that he'd hate absolutely Strasburg already.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:14 PM)

Ozzie needs to shut his mouth. Does he really think trying to intimidate these young kids is the right direction to go in?