Konerko and his thumb

Kyyle23

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=290610104

White Sox 1B Paul Konerko left in the eighth inning with a jammed right thumb. Konerko, who has battled thumb problems for years, was to be re-evaluated Thursday.

Jammed it again last night and thats why we got to see Josh wave his magic wand at Verlanders fastball last night.

If this becomes the nagging injury that it was last year, I have a feeling we will be seeing someone else besides Josh manning first base. Brandon Allen for his first cup o' coffee?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 08:30 AM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=290610104

Jammed it again last night and thats why we got to see Josh wave his magic wand at Verlanders fastball last night.

If this becomes the nagging injury that it was last year, I have a feeling we will be seeing someone else besides Josh manning first base. Brandon Allen for his first cup o' coffee?

If it's for a couple of days I'd rather leave Fields/Nix there. If it's for 10-15 I'd give a q ucik DL and call up Andy Phillips. Only if it becomes a serious thing do I want Brandon Allen coming up. He should remain in AA the rest of the year unless he is brought up with the intention of him getting regular ABs here for a majority of the rest of the year

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 05:57 AM)
Paulie is done for the year IMO. This was the injury that killed him last year and I think he will fight the same issues this year. He wont be able to turn on the inside pitch which will kill his production.

Awesome. I can't wait to see what this team will look like when I make it out there next month.

Well that would typify our season so far if our best hitter went down with an injury.

I'd probably give Fields playing time at 1B with Beckham at 3B if that were to happen.

No need to rush Allen at this point.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 07:57 AM)
Paulie is done for the year IMO. This was the injury that killed him last year and I think he will fight the same issues this year. He wont be able to turn on the inside pitch which will kill his production.

Last year he had a tenosynovitis of the thumb extensor tendons. The condition is called DeQuervain's syndrome. This is where the synovial sheath's around the tendons are inflammed and it hurts to bring your thumb away from your hand. He had injections in the tendon to try to help it.

If it is truly a "jammed" thumb, it will only take a few days to heal and he'll be fine. If it is the same as his previous injury, look for reports of injections or bracing, it will take alot longer and he may need a DL stint.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 08:48 AM)
Last year he had a tenosynovitis of the thumb extensor tendons. The condition is called DeQuervain's syndrome. This is where the synovial sheath's around the tendons are inflammed and it hurts to bring your thumb away from your hand. He had injections in the tendon to try to help it.

If it is truly a "jammed" thumb, it will only take a few days to heal and he'll be fine. If it is the same as his previous injury, look for reports of injections or bracing, it will take alot longer and he may need a DL stint.

Ptatc, you are awesome. Tell me what the medical terminology is from your avatar, brokemyf***ingarmitis? :)

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 09:05 AM)
Ptatc, you are awesome. Tell me what the medical terminology is from your avatar, brokemyf***ingarmitis? :)

I believe its "Mommy,IwishIweredeadrightnowitis"

Yeah, they have commas in medical terminology now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 10:39 AM)
If Konerko can't play, I'm going to be crying in Milwaukee. 9 games in a row without a DH means no Thome. So it would be no Thome, Konerko or Quentin for 9 games. I believe it was Alice Cooper who said Welcome to my Nightmare.

when i was a kid i went to Alice Cooper's Welcome to my Nightmare concert in Milwaukee. If it's anything like that, you should have fun. :D

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 07:38 AM)
I think that Williams has learned from 2006 & 2007 with veterans, and the improvement in 2008 with Quentin Danks Floyd etc that giving the young players a chance is not necessarily punting the season.

We will see guys like Allen sooner than we think

Although Kenny will never go for a "The Kids Can Play"-type campaign, it's exactly what he needs to do. Hopefully he'll supplement them with FA signings this winter.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 09:39 AM)
If Konerko can't play, I'm going to be crying in Milwaukee. 9 games in a row without a DH means no Thome. So it would be no Thome, Konerko or Quentin for 9 games. I believe it was Alice Cooper who said Welcome to my Nightmare.

Thome was, at one time not that long ago, a good defensive 1B. I realize he's had back issues since and he's no spring chicken, but if Paulie is out, I'd bet they get Thome at 1B a few times in the interleague road series'.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 10:09 AM)
Thome was, at one time not that long ago, a good defensive 1B. I realize he's had back issues since and he's no spring chicken, but if Paulie is out, I'd bet they get Thome at 1B a few times in the interleague road series'.

Ozzie said no way.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 10:09 AM)

He also plays on one good foot. There is no chance.