Konerko and his thumb

Kyyle23

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 08:09 AM)
Thome was, at one time not that long ago, a good defensive 1B.

Not to mention that he broke into the league as a 3B. It's almost impossible to imagine him playing that position now.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as the Sox are in "contending" mode, we will see Josh Fields play first base. However, if the club falls out of contention you can expect to see Allen or even Viciedo promoted to handle 1st. My guess would be that they'd call up Allen before Viciedo because Allen is probably a bit more ready, although Viciedo clearly has the highest upside. That won't happen for another couple weeks, although a loss today would put the Sox closer and closer to the point where they have to turn there attention towards getting some of these young guys ready for next season. Not only so those young guys are more capable of playing next year, but so the Sox get a period to evaluate the guys at the major league level and decide what exactly they'll need to do to be able to compete next season (in what will likely be another season where a .500 record in the Central means your a contender).

I personally expect to see Danks in Chicago by the end of July, however, Allen being up depends on what the Sox do with Thome/Konerko. If Konerko is healthy and Thome wants to stay in Chicago, Allen wont' get AB's. If Thome wants to go to a contender, well, than we'll see Allen promoted with Konerko sliding to DH. I'd say Paulie would get off-days but as long as he can take the field I don't see Konerko sitting out, he's just not the type of guy to do it. He's a gamer and he'll battle through, whether we are competing or not.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 11:01 AM)
As long as the Sox are in "contending" mode, we will see Josh Fields play first base. However, if the club falls out of contention you can expect to see Allen or even Viciedo promoted to handle 1st. My guess would be that they'd call up Allen before Viciedo because Allen is probably a bit more ready, although Viciedo clearly has the highest upside. That won't happen for another couple weeks, although a loss today would put the Sox closer and closer to the point where they have to turn there attention towards getting some of these young guys ready for next season. Not only so those young guys are more capable of playing next year, but so the Sox get a period to evaluate the guys at the major league level and decide what exactly they'll need to do to be able to compete next season (in what will likely be another season where a .500 record in the Central means your a contender).

I personally expect to see Danks in Chicago by the end of July, however, Allen being up depends on what the Sox do with Thome/Konerko. If Konerko is healthy and Thome wants to stay in Chicago, Allen wont' get AB's. If Thome wants to go to a contender, well, than we'll see Allen promoted with Konerko sliding to DH. I'd say Paulie would get off-days but as long as he can take the field I don't see Konerko sitting out, he's just not the type of guy to do it. He's a gamer and he'll battle through, whether we are competing or not.

BTW, regarding Viciedo and for that matter Ramirez, according to Rick Hahn, the White Sox still hold the 6 year rights to these guys, its not a situation like some Japanese players where arbitration is agreed to be waived, so the clock on Viciedo isn't running quite as fast as maybe we thought.

Oh boy! I have the same injury as Paul Konerko. :lol:

I jammed my thumb while reaching over for a pop foul playing softball. It's not the easiest to grip a bat when you have a jammed thumb.

This post was full of obvious and useless information. Carry on. :D

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)
I hope its nothing but a jam. The telling sign will be how well he can get to an inside fastball.

It has to be the ligament as he's had this problem before and got a shot for it this spring. I would imagine the pain is the issue. He's been slumping lately, but he still has been hitting the ball pretty hard.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
It has to be the ligament as he's had this problem before and got a shot for it this spring. I would imagine the pain is the issue. He's been slumping lately, but he still has been hitting the ball pretty hard.

Has to be? If Ozzie says he's available today, then it probably is NOT the ligament.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 11:29 AM)
Has to be? If Ozzie says he's available today, then it probably is NOT the ligament.

He's been dealing with it for years. He's had it all year. It doesn't mean he can't play. He got jammed with a lot of gas last night and it probably caused a great deal of pain. It didn't help it was so cold. Perhaps it calmed down.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 09:50 AM)
Was hoping some of the oldies in here might remember a classicly terrible movie.

Ha. Old people.

Your transgression has been forgiven.

On a semi-related note, anyone see the Conan old people focus group? Hilarious.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 09:19 AM)
BTW, regarding Viciedo and for that matter Ramirez, according to Rick Hahn, the White Sox still hold the 6 year rights to these guys, its not a situation like some Japanese players where arbitration is agreed to be waived, so the clock on Viciedo isn't running quite as fast as maybe we thought.

Yep and it really is a great situation since Viciedo is quite the talent. That said he's gotten better and better each month in Bham and I fully believe we'll see him up in September to get a cup of coffee. He is going to be an incredible hitter, the only thing that might prevent him from being a perennial all star might be his lack of plate discipline, but the guy flat out can rake and uses all fields. He's going to be a special one.

I love Viciedo.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 11:58 AM)
Yep and it really is a great situation since Viciedo is quite the talent. That said he's gotten better and better each month in Bham and I fully believe we'll see him up in September to get a cup of coffee. He is going to be an incredible hitter, the only thing that might prevent him from being a perennial all star might be his lack of plate discipline, but the guy flat out can rake and uses all fields. He's going to be a special one.

I love Viciedo.

I love your love for Viciedo.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 11:19 AM)

that's excellent, thanks for the info

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 09:58 AM)

I love Viciedo.

Still looks like we have too many 1B/ DH types unless we see big improvements from guys like Viciedo and Flowers with the gloves. Right now Viciedo's D is atrocious . But if he learns to be more selective at the dish he will be a monster.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 12:43 PM)
Still looks like we have too many 1B/ DH types unless we see big improvements from guys like Viciedo and Flowers with the gloves. Right now Viciedo's D is atrocious . But if he learns to be more selective at the dish he will be a monster.

don't forget, it's trader kenny we're talking about too, I know bats have less value, but add a bat to a good pitching prospect and that's an attractive package to a lower payroll team who wants to add a little pop to their offense.

I'm not talking about Dayan specifically, but the others they have

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 10:55 AM)
It'd be great to see Allen up with the big club, and see what he can do....

I think so too. I hate giving up on the season so early and I really won't until we're like15 games out in the middle of July. Then I'd expect to see Allen , Danks and whoever else the Sox want to call up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

« Josh Fields in White Sox's lineup, weather update | Main | U.S. Cellular Field weather update »

Originally posted: June 11, 2009

Paul Konerko could return as soon as Friday, Ozzie Guillen says no talk of breakup

By Mark Gonzales

First baseman Paul Konerko believes he could return to the White Sox's lineup as soon as Friday night at Milwaukee.

Konerko said he will take a pain-numbing injection Thursday, adding that the discomfort is similar to what he coped with last year. He hoped to hold off on an injection until the All-Star break but the pain became too acute.

He said the discomfort was so bad that he had to take a two-strike pitch in his second at-bat Wednesday night against Justin Verlander that resulted in a called third strike

This doesn't sound good.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 11:01 AM)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

« Josh Fields in White Sox's lineup, weather update | Main | U.S. Cellular Field weather update »

Originally posted: June 11, 2009

Paul Konerko could return as soon as Friday, Ozzie Guillen says no talk of breakup

By Mark Gonzales

First baseman Paul Konerko believes he could return to the White Sox's lineup as soon as Friday night at Milwaukee.

Konerko said he will take a pain-numbing injection Thursday, adding that the discomfort is similar to what he coped with last year. He hoped to hold off on an injection until the All-Star break but the pain became too acute.

He said the discomfort was so bad that he had to take a two-strike pitch in his second at-bat Wednesday night against Justin Verlander that resulted in a called third strike

This doesn't sound good.

What's the point in playing him ? Call up Ward or Allen let them platoon with Fields and put PK on the DL.