Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 12:47 PM)
You mean that is what happens when the country that you grew up in forces you to play even though you are injured.

Im sure that Yao playing in the Olympics did not help the healing process.

Eh, it's also possible that his body just can't take the pounding of being a 7'6" athlete.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 02:47 PM)
You mean that is what happens when the country that you grew up in forces you to play even though you are injured.

Im sure that Yao playing in the Olympics did not help the healing process.

If Yao didn't play in the Olympics, he would have disappointed 1.3 billion people in his country and pissed off the government. You don't want to piss off the Chinese government. I don't think he had much of a choice.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 01:15 AM)
He's not the brightest bulb in the chandelier.

There has to be something pretty wrong with him if the bucks were willing to let him walk. Last time I checked the Bucks were not a team brimming with talent.

Also, Brandon Jennings had this to say about Villanueva: "f*** Villanueva, just one less dumb ass muthaf***er to get in my way." And then he went on to use the n-word about 20 times.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 01:26 AM)
Skiles got pissed at him for Tweeting during halftime of a game.

If there was one coach who would absolutely not tolerate dumb-s*** like that... it would be Scott Skiles. I get the feeling that Skiles doesn't embrace social networking as much as the next guy and I'm surprised that Villanueva played the rest of the year after doing something (IMO) as inappropriate as using his phone or whatever during half-time of an NBA game. I usually don't play the "they're spoiled and they don't have to work as hard as the common man" card, however, you would think you could expect a professional athlete to focus on the game for the 3 hours or so the game lasts.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 11:09 PM)
Bucks letting Charlie Villanueva go without a contract offer.... think Gar Forman should kick the tires on him?

If the Bulls could move Deng's contract, absolutely. You move Deng's contract, suddenly you have room to resign Gordon, you have Salmons at SF, but you're lacking depth there, so you grab someone like Villanueva and then now Salmons can move back and forth between SG and SF and you've got an effective 3 man rotation between those 2 positions for less than Deng currently costs.

A better option of course would be for the owner to pay the Luxury Tax and Deng to return to that 22/9 form he looked like he was going to be in 2 years ago.

Isnt a big problem with Villanueva the fact that he doesnt like to play with his back to the basket and use his height down low, and that he likes to stay outside and chuck 3's? Doesnt seem like a guy like that would help the bulls

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 01:38 AM)
Not to mention an alien head. IMO he's as pugly looking as Joakim Noah, though Noah can actually get girls. :D

That's also because Noah's swag is so funky.

But back to the topic at hand...No to Vill-A-New-Wave-A. I forgot where I read it, but I think he'd like to be in Cleveland if Varajeo doesn't come back.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 09:25 AM)
Isnt a big problem with Villanueva the fact that he doesnt like to play with his back to the basket and use his height down low, and that he likes to stay outside and chuck 3's? Doesnt seem like a guy like that would help the bulls

That's basically what VDN's offense did with Deng the first 1/2 of the season last year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 11:27 AM)
That's basically what VDN's offense did with Deng the first 1/2 of the season last year.

yeah, but Villanueva is as tall as most centers, and isnt as much as a slasher as Deng is(supposed to be)

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 01:26 AM)
Skiles got pissed at him for Tweeting during halftime of a game.
Personally, I felt that ish was blown way out of proportion. Besides, all he Tweeted was something like "Coach says I gotta pick it up" and I think he dropped something like 25 in the 2nd half and led the team to the victory. Where was the harm? But whatever.

I don't think them letting CV go has to do with them not liking him as much as it has to do with them needing to slash payroll and having a lottery pick in Joe Alexander that went underdeveloped on the bench behind RJ and V last season. Which is why out the door they both went. Force Scott's hand by dumping the vets and let that kid earn his money.

I agree that V doesn't fit with the Bulls. But he's a perfect fit with Cleveland, and I think that's where he'll end up. 

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 03:57 PM)
Pistons fired head coach Michael Curry.
The writing was on the wall for him as soon as he benched Rip Hamilton in front of the team in practice. You just don't do that to a team leader.

That team just quit on him in the playoffs and basically made it impossible to bring him back.

I think Bill Laimbeer will end up replacing him. Bill left the Detroit Shock suddenly to land an NBA job about 2 weeks ago and Dumars knows after Flip and Curry, he needs a head man that will instantly garner respect in that locker room. Laimbeer fits that.

Edited by Ron

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 07:21 PM)
Boozer, Okur opt to stay with the Jazz.

This makes it a lot more likely that the Pistons will make a major offer to Gordon. Both will be FA's next offseason, so Boozer just became a 3rd option next year for teams in need of a PF.

I would be stunned if Ben Gordon remains in Chicago. The writing is on the wall and has been for a few weeks now.

I think they try to sign Gordon and deal Hinrich.

But then the Bulls would need to get a backup PG.

Portland could maybe be an option, but I think they'd rather Hedo or Andre Miller with their $8M of cap room to use.