Stupid questions people have asked you

lostfan

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 05:46 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=1934432:date=Jun 30, 2009 -> 06:33 PM:name=SHIPPS)-->
QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 06:33 PM)
<!--quotec-->When my friends would come over when I was a kid I would hide the Richard Simmons tapes cause I knew the jokes that were going to come after. Yes ,I was embarrassed that my mom was a fan of his.

OMG...thanks, I needed that! :lolhitting

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)
I have a hearing impairement and I use a hearing aid in order to hear, anyway...

I've had people ask me how it's possible I can legally drive if I have a hearing loss. Apparently they think that just because I have a hearing loss that I shouldn't drive because I "can't hear things on the road".

Seriously, I hate ignorant people like that. If they followed that belief, then people who wear eyeglasses probably shouldn't be able to drive as well.

I can't find a source, but I've been told by some people that deaf people and people with a hearing loss are usually statistically better drivers than people with normal hearing.

I'm sure that with the hearing aid, you can hear just as well as most people, I get your point, but hearing IS a huge part of driving.

I have a bad habit of driving with the music on full blast and have almost been nailed by cops, ambulances or fire trucks numerous times cuz I didn't see or hear them coming.

Bikers keep their bikes loud because drivers don't always see them in their blind spots, this way, they at least hear the rumble and look around.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 05:12 PM)
I'm sure that with the hearing aid, you can hear just as well as most people, I get your point, but hearing IS a huge part of driving.

I have a bad habit of driving with the music on full blast and have almost been nailed by cops, ambulances or fire trucks numerous times cuz I didn't see or hear them coming.

Bikers keep their bikes loud because drivers don't always see them in their blind spots, this way, they at least hear the rumble and look around.

I've seen the studies he mentioned. They are statistically better drivers.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 05:22 PM)
I've seen the studies he mentioned. They are statistically better drivers.

Have there been any studies about blind drivers???

See what I did there?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 02:09 AM)
It may not be an entirely stupid question, but since I'm 6'6, I ALWAYS get the "Do you play basketball?" question. Man that aggravates me.

lol, probably 5x worse if you're black.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 01:09 AM)
It may not be an entirely stupid question, but since I'm 6'6, I ALWAYS get the "Do you play basketball?" question. Man that aggravates me.

Why the hell don't you play basketball? You are being selfish...

:usa

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 01:09 AM)

A buddy of mine, who is closer to 6' 8", would always answer, no, I'm a jockey.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 07:26 AM)
lol, probably 5x worse if you're black.

That makes me think of an episode from "The Office" where Michael puts together a pickup game of basketball and automatically assumes the one black guy is good at basketball (when in fact, he's probably the worst one there).

"Stanley, of course..."

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 05:28 PM)
That makes me think of an episode from "The Office" where Michael puts together a pickup game of basketball and automatically assumes the one black guy is good at basketball (when in fact, he's probably the worst one there).

"Stanley, of course..."

:lolhitting

I work for one of those boat tour companies in Chicago, I'm bombarded daily with idiocy that should have made me insane:

"Can the boats sink?" - Did people learn to not say that with that whole Titanic problem? But considering the closest thing any tour boat company has legitimately had since the Eastland (100+ years ago) was the Seadog losing prop and having to beach it nothing has even gone remotely wrong with the integrity of the boats on the lake. It's Lake Michigan, not the Bering Straight.

"What if the boat sinks?" - Hope there isn't one lifejacket left and you and I are the last two people without one.

"What if I fall off the boat?" - Sharks eat you.

"Is it free?" - I'm paid to sit here and sell you a boat ride that is free. Right.

I got a funny one a couple weeks ago when Obama was in town (he flies over the lake in his helicopter so they can see what's below them easily). "Which helicopter is Obama in?" It would kind of defeat the purpose of having like 12 helicopters if they told every employee making $10 a hour off Navy Pier which one the President is in.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 08:07 PM)
I work for one of those boat tour companies in Chicago, I'm bombarded daily with idiocy that should have made me insane:

"Can the boats sink?" - Did people learn to not say that with that whole Titanic problem? But considering the closest thing any tour boat company has legitimately had since the Eastland (100+ years ago) was the Seadog losing prop and having to beach it nothing has even gone remotely wrong with the integrity of the boats on the lake. It's Lake Michigan, not the Bering Straight.

"What if the boat sinks?" - Hope there isn't one lifejacket left and you and I are the last two people without one.

"Is it free?" - I'm paid to sit here and sell you a boat ride that is free. Right.

I got a funny one a couple weeks ago when Obama was in town (he flies over the lake in his helicopter so they can see what's below them easily). "Which helicopter is Obama in?" It would kind of defeat the purpose of having like 12 helicopters if they told every employee making $10 a hour off Navy Pier which one the President is in.

I did a history fair project on the Eastland, it capsized in 1915.

:lolhitting :notworthy awesome

:lol: That is awesome...

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 08:30 PM)
I got IM'd by three different people this time when we moved servers. Can you unban me please? WTF? :lol:

Release those names!

I could write a book about all the crap I had to deal with in high school when I worked at Blockbuster for 2 years.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 05:46 PM)
QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 06:33 PM) When my friends would come over when I was a kid I would hide the Richard Simmons tapes cause I knew the jokes that were going to come after. Yes ,I was embarrassed that my mom was a fan of his.

Wyane Brady is a gangsta...

free video hosting
Free Video Hosting

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 09:32 PM)
Release those names!

I could write a book about all the crap I had to deal with in high school when I worked at Blockbuster for 2 years.

Did you ever have the thing I said used to happen earlier in this thread? When I worked at BBV?

The worst came from repeat offenders, cheap ass people who would get all pissy about late fees etc. or try to get over using coupons. There is a woman (whose name I still remember) that would always come in with like 5 coupons. I'd tell her she couldn't use them all and I'd recommend the best possible combination to save the most money, but she'd always accuse me of lying and start ranting about how the customer is always right etc. I'd try to explain to her that what I'm trying to say is printed on the bottom of the coupon, that the computer wouldn't even accept the scan if I tried, letting her see what exactly my computer screen says, telling her that if she could do what she wanted then I'd actually owe her $2.00, etc. but to no avail. She'd always want to talk to the manager on duty. Eventually when I got an orange shirt to sell DirecTV I'd just start lying and saying I was actually the manager.

I still remember my store/employee # by heart so I just say it out loud when I go to a Blockbuster I've never been to before instead of going in my wallet.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 04:22 PM)
I used to work at Blockbuster, if I recall, we had 4 registers and a queue, which is probably like how most Blockbuster stores are set up. Unless it's Friday or Saturday night they're not all open at any given time, though. There was a 5th computer off to the side that was used specifically to register new memberships to keep the line moving, there was never cash in the drawer and it was obvious it was separate from the other registers. Every week or so someone would come up to me while I was entering a new customer into the system and they'd ask "Is this register open?" while there was a line. Because I'm not an asshole at work I'd always say no, but I really wanted to say "YES!!! CONGRATULATIONS, YOU FIGURED OUT THE SECRET SHORTCUT! YOU BEAT THE SYSTEM! GOOD JOB DUMBASS!"

YES! That would always happen! Same thing with the coupon lady you mentioned.

When I was working there, was when they started giving out free rentals for new releases if they weren't in when you wanted it. Dumb. I would always have people come up to check out and be like "Air Force One isn't in, can I get a coupon?" So our protocol was to check the drop box to see if one was returned. Plenty of times, one would be so I would get it, check it in, and tell the customer we have it. Than they would be like, "But I don't want it now. I have what I want." Than I would be like, "Ok." and not give them the pass, than they would ask where the pass is and I woudl explain that the movie was in so I can't give you the free rental. Than they would complain and I would have to give them the pass anyway.

As my tenure wound down there in college, I just started telling them the pass was in the bag, when in fact, I didn't give em one.

Edited by Brian