What do you think of Hawk's new trademark line, "HELL YES"  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Thoughts on Hawk's "HELL YES!"

• I like it
    • I love it
    • I want some more of it
    • Too over the top, even for Hawk
    • Call the FCC, i'm offended!

People think being a homer is a bad thing for a home-town broadcasters, which I completely disagree with. You want to know your announcer is feeling the ultimate highs with you and ultimate lows. I love Hawk and his silly catchphrases and the "hell yes." I will admit sometimes he goes a little far, saying how that one pitch right there totally impacted the game and such because it really doesn't. Sure it could affect the game, but if one pitch determined the outcome of a game, the team didn't do their job. Overall, I love him though. You need to be a Sox fan to appreciate him. If he was the announcer of any other team, all of that team's fans would love him. He bleeds Sox baseball, just like I do.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 12:03 AM)
Hawk is Awesome. I would not trade him for any announcer. Living far away from Chicago I have grown to love Hawk even more, it's like watching every game with a buddy.

Thank You Hawk.

:notworthy

brendol, your opinion is your opinion...and there's nothing wrong with that, you don't need to like him.

Vin Scully is awesome, but in a different way. He frames the game with words, which isn't easy. Harry Caray, love him or hate him, was the dude sitting next to you in the bleachers getting wicked hammered with you. Bob Costas is an encyclopedia of baseball knowledge. Hawk Harrelson is the guy I wished I knew, who played the game, and had story after story, some of them, how shall I say, embellished...but still a great story teller. And Stone is the guy I wished I had as a coach in Little League.

They all have their good things and bad things. And I've said this before, but if you want to hear bad announcers...check out the Rangers and Astros. It's like watching golf. *snore*

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 03:03 AM)
Not to de-rail the thread or anything, but that signature or whatever it is is quite hypnotic....I think I sat here and watched it over and over for like 5 minutes before I was able to snap myself out of it...

As did I.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 02:58 AM)
I'm not sure anyone is calling him a wise baseball-man. Anyone who has listened to Hawk long enough knows this about him. He's not baseball ignorant, but I'd never want him running my team in any shape or form.

That said, he is a great announcer for the fans. As somebody has already pointed out, it is like watching the Sox with a buddy. Announcers that go for objectivity, I find them boring - their emotions also tend to sound forced, where as Hawk seems quite genuine. The combo the White Sox have in the booth right now is a real treat for me, and I think it'd be hard for any organization to top it.

I only replied to this because your sig caught my eye....its f***ing awesome and shes sexy :headbang

QUOTE (wilmot825 @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
I only replied to this because your sig caught my eye....its f***ing awesome and shes sexy :headbang

Been staring at it for ten minutes. Post more often, Bob!

People think being a homer is a bad thing for a home-town broadcasters, which I completely disagree with. You want to know your announcer is feeling the ultimate highs with you and ultimate lows. I love Hawk and his silly catchphrases and the "hell yes." I will admit sometimes he goes a little far, saying how that one pitch right there totally impacted the game and such because it really doesn't. Sure it could affect the game, but if one pitch determined the outcome of a game, the team didn't do their job. Overall, I love him though. You need to be a Sox fan to appreciate him. If he was the announcer of any other team, all of that team's fans would love him. He bleeds Sox baseball, just like I do.

I guess it's not the fact that he is a homer, it's the fact that i find him obnoxious and stupid while being an extreme homer.

"In my 50 years in this game, i have never seen a shortstop play that close to the line in a double play situation."

*Soto hits a grounder right to Alexei and grounds into the double play. Hawk goes silent.

"Shaq takes more abuse than any other athlete."

Really hawk? Even more than Barry Sanders did? Even more than ANY running back? Good one hawk...

"He cant hit a breaking ball, but-"

"WELL WHO CAN?"

That's just obnoxious. No need to interrupt stoney because he threatens you with his superior knowledge.

I guess it's just my opinion. It seems like most people on here like him, i just find him a bit annoying.

Edited by brendol

QUOTE (brendol @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 01:38 PM)
"In my 50 years in this game, i have never seen a shortstop play that close to the line in a double play situation."

*Soto hits a grounder right to Alexei and grounds into the double play. Hawk goes silent.

Seriously, you pull that one out? He was absolutely right. It was a DP situation and Alexei was playing DEEP at SS. How is it Hawk's fault that Soto hit one into the hole? If you're going to tell me that it was Alexei's awesome scouting on Soto then you're absolutely kidding yourself. Alexei's positioning has been AWFUL this season. And of course he went silent, he can't commentate over a commercial break...

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 12:03 AM)
Hawk is Awesome. I would not trade him for any announcer. Living far away from Chicago I have grown to love Hawk even more, it's like watching every game with a buddy.

Thank You Hawk.

agreed

I don't like it. I wouldn't say I'm offended or anything, but I'm sure there are people out there that don't want their kids running around the house yelling "hell yes!".

And it just sounds stupid if he uses it over and over. If it happens out of just pure emotion, fine. But the "hell yes" and the "double yes" just sound forced at this point.

Knock it off, Hawk.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 10:25 PM)
I don't like it. I wouldn't say I'm offended or anything, but I'm sure there are people out there that don't want their kids running around the house yelling "hell yes!".

And it just sounds stupid if he uses it over and over. If it happens out of just pure emotion, fine. But the "hell yes" and the "double yes" just sound forced at this point.

Knock it off, Hawk.

I thought the same thing about the kids when I first heard it. While it hasn't really grown on me, I used to it now because I hear it often.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 09:16 AM)
brendol, your opinion is your opinion...and there's nothing wrong with that, you don't need to like him.

Vin Scully is awesome, but in a different way. He frames the game with words, which isn't easy. Harry Caray, love him or hate him, was the dude sitting next to you in the bleachers getting wicked hammered with you. Bob Costas is an encyclopedia of baseball knowledge. Hawk Harrelson is the guy I wished I knew, who played the game, and had story after story, some of them, how shall I say, embellished...but still a great story teller. And Stone is the guy I wished I had as a coach in Little League.

They all have their good things and bad things. And I've said this before, but if you want to hear bad announcers...check out the Rangers and Astros. It's like watching golf. *snore*

Great post CoC. That's a really good way to look at it. They all have their strengths and weakness, and everyone has different opinions on what they like.

I happen to love Hawk and Stone together.

Try listening to the Twins or Tigers broadcasters, or Frank White is it, doing the Royals color comments? Brutal.

Seriously, you pull that one out? He was absolutely right. It was a DP situation and Alexei was playing DEEP at SS. How is it Hawk's fault that Soto hit one into the hole? If you're going to tell me that it was Alexei's awesome scouting on Soto then you're absolutely kidding yourself. Alexei's positioning has been AWFUL this season. And of course he went silent, he can't commentate over a commercial break...

Im sure ozzie or joey had him play there in that situation... They did the exact right thing too. Soto was in a slump and was a dead pull hitter. So whoever it was that had him play there was wrong? Sure as hell looked right when they hit it right to Alexei. Plus, i somehow doubt thats the first time he has seen it in 50 years...

I love Hawk and hate him at the same time. I love his catchphrases and that he loves the Sox, but his rambling about nonsense, whining about umps, and sucking off s***ty players like Carlos Gomez is incredibly annoying. I don't mind that he's a homer.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 11:01 PM)
The Hell Yes... I love. The double Yes... yea that's pushing it IMO.

Yeah the double Yes is extremely awkward. I wish he would cut that s*** out.

QUOTE (brendol @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)
I guess it's not the fact that he is a homer, it's the fact that i find him obnoxious and stupid while being an extreme homer.

"Shaq takes more abuse than any other athlete."

Really hawk? Even more than Barry Sanders did? Even more than ANY running back? Good one hawk...

"He cant hit a breaking ball, but-"

"WELL WHO CAN?"

That's just obnoxious. No need to interrupt stoney because he threatens you with his superior knowledge.

I guess it's just my opinion. It seems like most people on here like him, i just find him a bit annoying.

If ya don't like him that's cool, you're definitely not alone, but when ya hear a person talk all the time you're gonna find some inaccuracies and exaggerations. It just comes with the job of talking every day. I'm sure he didn't go through his mental rolodex of every athlete when he made the Shaq comment, nor do i think he needs to, he's just speaking off the cuff.

Hell, you have what like 14 or so posts and you came up with this one. "yeah, id like him to stay at 3b. his build is similar to adrian beltre, so there is hope that he can be a good fielder." If I were to take your critical approach I can say.... Really brendol?? How the hell does having a build similar to adrian beltre help one become a good fielder? Aren't their millions of people with Beltre's build?? Body shape gives you hope?? Good one brendol....

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 03:03 AM)
Not to de-rail the thread or anything, but that signature or whatever it is is quite hypnotic....I think I sat here and watched it over and over for like 5 minutes before I was able to snap myself out of it...

+1

If ya don't like him that's cool, you're definitely not alone, but when ya hear a person talk all the time you're gonna find some inaccuracies and exaggerations. It just comes with the job of talking every day. I'm sure he didn't go through his mental rolodex of every athlete when he made the Shaq comment, nor do i think he needs to, he's just speaking off the cuff.

Hell, you have what like 14 or so posts and you came up with this one. "yeah, id like him to stay at 3b. his build is similar to adrian beltre, so there is hope that he can be a good fielder." If I were to take your critical approach I can say.... Really brendol?? How the hell does having a build similar to adrian beltre help one become a good fielder? Aren't their millions of people with Beltre's build?? Body shape gives you hope?? Good one brendol....

umm, i guess you completely missed the point of that post. People have been saying that he is too big to be a 3rd baseman. I was pointing out that he has a similar build to Adrian Beltre, who is a gold glove 3rd baseman. So yes, there is hope that he can become a good 3rd baseman.

Good one Controlled Chaos.... Try being less arrogant when you post.