Films Thread

juddling

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 09:14 AM)
So you're looking at number of tickets sold without taking into account population changes?

In theory, if you factor in population growth and marker growth (films are viewed in more countries), then todays movies should be DESTROYING old box office tickets sold records.

Yes, viewing habits of 1939 are different than today. But even with that factored in, Star Wars is still pretty high.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 10:22 AM)
Yes, viewing habits of 1939 are different than today. But even with that factored in, Star Wars is still pretty high.

Star Wars also benefits from probably a 20% boost from the re-released special editions. I know I was in the audience for those.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 12:24 AM)
Watched it again last year for the first time in forever. What a solid all-around film. Probably my favorite Pacino role after the Godfathers and Dog Day Afternoon. The latter film, if you haven't sought it out, is a life list must-see.

My friend and I rented Dog Day about 10 years ago because neither of us had ever seen it, but it was so critically acclaimed. Neither of us was particularly impressed. I think it's time to watch that one again...

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 12:34 PM)
I dont know if the states provided include the newer releases or original theatrical run.

All of the Star Wars numbers include the rereleases, that I'm 99% sure of. It's a lifetime gross number. I think that if a theater can get the rights to show a movie in selected screenings that those also count.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 12:09 AM)
Why do you say that? The original was considered one of the greatest American movies for 22 years before the Rudux was released.

The redux version simply made and already terrific film, an even better film, for myself anyway. I like both versions, it's just that the redux version is even darker, something i really enjoy. I know i am not the only one to have this thought process about the redux version (that it's better).

I have the original version, but I would like to see the redux since I hear that there’s a different approach to the whole story and of course Coppola’s desire to edit what was already a movie taken in by many. Only problem I have is that I’ve seen the original plenty of times to conclude that it’s very long and adding another forty some minutes can only make it that much longer.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 10:38 AM)
Star Wars also benefits from probably a 20% boost from the re-released special editions. I know I was in the audience for those.

On that list, 1977 and 1999 were separated.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 10:15 AM)
You're looking at it wrong. the 1977 Star Wars is really Episode 4, while 1999 is Episode 1.... ya know, the one with JarJar.

He tried and succeeded to erase those memories, unlike so many of us.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 11:24 PM)
Watched it again last year for the first time in forever. What a solid all-around film. Probably my favorite Pacino role after the Godfathers and Dog Day Afternoon. The latter film, if you haven't sought it out, is a life list must-see.

Pacino's performances are always very hit or miss for me. I actually am not a huge fan of Scarface and think the goofy Cuban accent has a lot to do with it. To me his performance as Lefty in Donnie Brasco might be his best, particularly since it is such a deviation from the sophisticated hood he was as Michael Corleone.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 10:55 AM)
He tried and succeeded to erase those memories, unlike so many of us.

When I first looked at those numbers I laughed when I saw that Episode 1 was so high. There was ALOT of anticipation for it and it was just a horrible movie. I might have to rewatch it soon here. Just to remind myself how bad it was and then quickly watch The Empire Strikes Back to show me how great the original movies were and still are.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 08:43 AM)
I seen "Its Complicated" yesterday. The torture we will endure for our women sometimes is just f***ing ridiculous.

That's nothing. I went to "Blackout night" at the roller rink with mine and her kids...

Consider yourself lucky.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 09:50 AM)
That's nothing. I went to "Blackout night" at the roller rink with mine and her kids...

Consider yourself lucky.

Is that when management at the roller rink takes pity on the men who got dragged along and lets them drink until they black out?

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 08:52 AM)
Is that when management at the roller rink takes pity on the men who got dragged along and lets them drink until they black out?

Unfortunately not. It was like "cosmic bowling" - everyone got a free glow-in-the-dark necklace/ring. There were more hellraisers there than I knew existed.

At least I was able to block most of it out and insert my girlfriend into rollergirl fantasies...

QUOTE (CryptviLL @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 07:55 AM)
Been watching alot of American Pie's recently... dunno what to think of them as of yet... Good movies or just joke of movies??

I like the 2nd one the best. Don't watch the straight to DVD ones. ALthough I did see Band Camp. Arielle Kebbel is one of the better looking girls in movies but never does anything big.

<a href="http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-us&amp;from=sp&amp;fg=MsnEntertainment_MoviesTrailersGP2_a&amp;vid=1b9d070f-aff2-47f6-8a86-9b2b44ec4fc6" target="_new" title="'The Losers' Exclusive Look" rel="external nofollow">Video: 'The Losers' Exclusive Look</a>

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 11:10 PM)
Paranormal Activity has been on my Netflix que forever as "Very Long Wait". WTF! It has to be my turn sometime.

Where is it in the queue? I've found that if it's ranked 1, very long waits become much shorter. But no guarantees, and of course if you get a lot of movies from netflix, then you are screwed.