Clayton Richard debut

Psst, go check the box score. ;)

I wish Richard and the prospects we sent SD nothing but the best, but just don't make history Clayton. Then we'll get all this crap the next few days about how we gave up too much.

Solid outing. Didn't see the 6th, but maybe a little quick hook (pitch count at 90, guess they want to be careful with him, though I'd just let him finish the inning, especially with the possibly of the pitcher's spot coming up in the bottom inning, which did happen) and reliever costs him the win. 5.2 IP, 2 hits, 1 run, 3 walks, 5 K's

QUOTE (DanksFan @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 11:21 PM)
He did have some pretty good cuts at the dish. He smoked one for his 2nd out. I think he'll collect a few hits over there in the NL.

His athleticism is obvious.

Tough to see him go, but then I quickly remember what we got in return and it isn't so bad. :headbang

And the 6-foot-5, 240-pound Richard, 25, topped out at 94-95 mph with his fastball while keeping the Brewers off balance with a 82-mph change.

“I like the tempo,” Black said. “He worked fast and threw a good game. That was a pretty solid outing for a guy who flew into San Diego this morning.”

After learning of the trade yesterday, Richard drove to his home in Lafayette, Ind., last night and then traveled to Indianapolis yesterday morning to catch a flight to San Diego.

Over his past three starts, including two with the White Sox, Richard has allowed three runs over 21 2/3 innings.

Like Latos three nights earlier in Cincinnati, Richard retired the first 10 hitters he faced and didn't give up a hit until former Padre Mike Cameron lined a double over Gwynn's head in the fifth.

“He did a fantastic job,” Gwynn said of Richard. “That's one of the top three offenses in baseball and he held them to two hits.”

San Diego Union Tribune