Gregor Speculation: Sox should offer Dye extension

DaveBrown85

QUOTE (DaveBrown85 @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 07:27 PM)
"Scot Gregor of the Daily Herald says in his blog that the White Sox could sign veteran outfielder Jermaine Dye to a two-year extension and likely will cut ties with Jim Thome at the end of the season.

Gregor notes that Dye remains a productive player and enjoys playing in Chicago."

To tell you the truth wouldn't mind this at all. As long as dye DH and they get a new RF

Speculation or not, I'd be a big fan of that move. I know one of the two will be gone and If I were going to pick I'd let it be Thome and not Dye, who has been one of the most productive Rfers during his tenure in Chicago.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/pos.../OPS/order/true

Trailing only Hawpe and Justin Upton in OPS for RFers this season.

Of course, if you take defense and throwing into consideration, someone like Ichiro would be perfect to have...but that's never going to happen until he's 40+ years old, like all the Hall of Famers who blow through Chicago about 5 years past their primes.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 10:30 AM)
Speculation or not, I'd be a big fan of that move. I know one of the two will be gone and If I were going to pick I'd let it be Thome and not Dye, who has been one of the most productive Rfers during his tenure in Chicago.

I'd be cool with a two-year extension. Not sure that JD would, though. He might be looking for three years, as this is likely the last multi-year deal he'll get.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 12:20 PM)
First off the "Thome's bat looks real slow" is tired and false. The guy is on a pace where if he had 500 AB he'd have 35 homers 115 rbi and an OBP near .400. Anyone else does that and they are godly around here.

If I were the White Sox, I certainly would wait until the end of the year to decide on JD. I don't know if he would be agreeable to an extension and thus terminating his option. He may not go for it.

As to Figgins, I've love this guy for a few years, but he has been hurt a lot and now during his contract year, he's come up huge. Considering his age and how his game is based on his legs, the only way I'd sign him is if you could get a deal like some who signed last year had to sign for, guys like Cabrera and Hudson and Abreu. I think paying him based on this season and giving him multiple years would be regrettable.

A few things:

*Thome has looked like an easy out lately, with an increased K rate and hasn't been making hard contact. Maybe it has to do with his back acting up. But Jim, in the last 2 years, has become a .250 hitter, with a .385 OBP, and a SLG % under .500. I'm not saying that isn't valuable. But with his injury history, his turning 39 later this month, needing a few days off each week, and an arguably better overall alternative in Jermaine Dye who could DH, I don't forsee a spot for Jim on the 2010 Sox. Replacing Dye's glove in RF would also help the sox defense.

*Do the sox invest in Dye for 3 years, with the thought that he'd be the DH? With the extra year, the sox could get a lower yearly salary, like 3 years at $7.5 mill. per. If they offered him a 2 year, they'd have to up the yearly salary closer to something like $9 mill. per.

*I really liked Figgins for 3b, prior to Gordon establishing himself there. Figgins for CF might not be the best use of him. But if the sox want to move Gordon to SS [which would only be accomplished with a trade of Alexei--not the craziest of ideas, with Alexei only sporting a .727 OPS] Figgins would probably be worth a 3, 4 year deal at 3b.

*Re-signing Pods for LF and to hit leadoff in 2010 would be likely. Though the sox don't have a backup plan should he get injured. A top 2 of Pods + Figgins would set up the middle of the order rather nicely.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 12:30 PM)
I read the other day there are only 4 players 36 or older that also play the field that have enough at bats to qualify for the batting title. I think JD turns 36 fairly soon. If you were to sign him to an extension, it would almost have to be to DH.

Definitely. And a case could be made that JD's offensive numbers would improve with the extra rest that he'd get being the DH, too.

QUOTE (DaveBrown85 @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 03:27 AM)
"Scot Gregor of the Daily Herald says in his blog that the White Sox could sign veteran outfielder Jermaine Dye to a two-year extension and likely will cut ties with Jim Thome at the end of the season.

Gregor notes that Dye remains a productive player and enjoys playing in Chicago."

To tell you the truth wouldn't mind this at all. As long as dye DH and they get a new RF

Jermaine Dye should be signed and play in RF the next two or three yeasr. I wouldn't have heartburn over Jim Thome at DH either. You don't break up a comeptitive ball club or unnecessarily move position players around especially into a DH role when you have no alternatives. Now if we sign the Big Hurt to come back and DH then maybe

I know this thread is about Dye's extension but I have seen a few posts touching on Alexi.

I'm all for bringing Dye back and letting him play RF/DH. Depending on what we find to replace Thome as a LH Power bat or Dye in Rf.

I know the idea has been tossed around a lot with how well Beckham is playing but I don't think we should be looking into moving Alexi unless it is basically straight up for a very good MLB player. I think it is his 2nd year here and his first playing short. He is still learning the game a bit with regards to how it is played here and his defense, among other things I like to think will improve.

He has a great contract, a world of talent and unless you're bringing back another beast - I just don't think he is worth moving.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 07:15 AM)
A few things:

*Thome has looked like an easy out lately, with an increased K rate and hasn't been making hard contact. Maybe it has to do with his back acting up. But Jim, in the last 2 years, has become a .250 hitter, with a .385 OBP, and a SLG % under .500. I'm not saying that isn't valuable. But with his injury history, his turning 39 later this month, needing a few days off each week, and an arguably better overall alternative in Jermaine Dye who could DH, I don't forsee a spot for Jim on the 2010 Sox. Replacing Dye's glove in RF would also help the sox defense.

*Do the sox invest in Dye for 3 years, with the thought that he'd be the DH? With the extra year, the sox could get a lower yearly salary, like 3 years at $7.5 mill. per. If they offered him a 2 year, they'd have to up the yearly salary closer to something like $9 mill. per.

*I really liked Figgins for 3b, prior to Gordon establishing himself there. Figgins for CF might not be the best use of him. But if the sox want to move Gordon to SS [which would only be accomplished with a trade of Alexei--not the craziest of ideas, with Alexei only sporting a .727 OPS] Figgins would probably be worth a 3, 4 year deal at 3b.

*Re-signing Pods for LF and to hit leadoff in 2010 would be likely. Though the sox don't have a backup plan should he get injured. A top 2 of Pods + Figgins would set up the middle of the order rather nicely.

I agreed with everything you said up until your last statement. Though Pods and Figgins would potentially be a dangerous 1-2 punch at the top of the lineup, having them both in the OF could be disasterous. Though i would sign Figgins for LF and perhaps let Jordan Danks battle Pods for the every day CF position in spring training.

QUOTE (sweatpants @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 12:21 PM)
Out of curiosity how many guys are there that are strictly DH's? Hafner? Ortiz is pretty close, but he has played a few games at 1b. I've never been a big fan of the dh-only player. I've always like the flexibility of rotating 2-3 guys in the dh spot.

i hear ya. i think thats what KW and Ozzie want for next year. Have Konerko, Dye and Quentin DH while also playing at their respected positions through out the course of the year.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 05:57 PM)
i hear ya. i think thats what KW and Ozzie want for next year. Have Konerko, Dye and Quentin DH while also playing at their respected positions through out the course of the year.

I really like how this would balance our team out.

Commenting on the Dye detractors comments about his fielding just makes me wonder if we are in fact watching the same fielder? I see a guy throwing people out on the bases, running into the walls and making diving catches and always giving 100% on the field and then you have someone saying that Johnnie Damon has a better arm? Wow!

The baseball commentators remark on his great arm and fielding and the fact he is moving better this year becasue he is healthy and yet we have post saying Dye is below average

QUOTE (sweatpants @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 05:21 PM)
Out of curiosity how many guys are there that are strictly DH's? Hafner? Ortiz is pretty close, but he has played a few games at 1b. I've never been a big fan of the dh-only player. I've always like the flexibility of rotating 2-3 guys in the dh spot.

The position of DH for AL teams is meant for the premier hitter who can't play the field. Thome can still swing the bat very very well. Now does that mean the Sox cut ties with him at the end of the year? Maybe or at least renegotiate for a salary more in line with todays economy

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 07:01 PM)
I just don't see Ozzie doing that though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I was out of state for the latter half of 05, but when Frank went down he did rotate our DH spot, no? Everett played the field sometimes I thought.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
Correct me if I'm wrong, I was out of state for the latter half of 05, but when Frank went down he did rotate our DH spot, no? Everett played the field sometimes I thought.

Frank rotated in to the DH spot for basically 1 month, in June 05, and hit some big time killer game saving/winning home runs for a week or two. But then his foot cracked again and he went back on the DL for another surgery.

Everett played the field a handful of times through the 05 season, usually if someone else needed a day off.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 03:26 PM)

True but I can see Ozzie rotating only because of injuries.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 03:28 PM)
Frank rotated in to the DH spot for basically 1 month, in June 05, and hit some big time killer game saving/winning home runs for a week or two. But then his foot cracked again and he went back on the DL for another surgery.

Everett played the field a handful of times through the 05 season, usually if someone else needed a day off.

I remember that big time shot he in extras in Detroit that year.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 09:54 AM)
I know this thread is about Dye's extension but I have seen a few posts touching on Alexi.

I'm all for bringing Dye back and letting him play RF/DH. Depending on what we find to replace Thome as a LH Power bat or Dye in Rf.

I know the idea has been tossed around a lot with how well Beckham is playing but I don't think we should be looking into moving Alexi unless it is basically straight up for a very good MLB player. I think it is his 2nd year here and his first playing short. He is still learning the game a bit with regards to how it is played here and his defense, among other things I like to think will improve.

He has a great contract, a world of talent and unless you're bringing back another beast - I just don't think he is worth moving.

I’m in complete agreement with you on Alexei. I can’t believe how many people on this site want to get rid of him. I think a lot of people are just upset with his defense, but I feel like some are overvaluing our current middle infield depth. Alexei is already an above-average shortstop with all the tools needed to become an elite one. He’s under contract for the next two seasons at $1.1 million per and then will eligible for arbitration the following two. You don’t move Alexei unless you are getting back a young, inexpensive MLB player who fits another need. I’m talking about a guy like Matt Kemp for example. Otherwise, you at least hold on to him for the next two seasons while he’s still so cheap. I understand Chris Getz is a nice player, but you don’t move a cheap, talented player like Alexei to keep a ‘grinder’ in the lineup.

Keeping Dye for another 2 years, with perhaps another "mutual" option for year 3, makes very reasonable sense. Offensively, he's third on the Sox with a RC/27 (runs created per game) of 6.15. That also ranks him 5th among AL right fielders, behind Ichiro, Bobby Abreu, Shin Shin Choo, and Nelson Cruz. But it is only slightly ahead of Nick Swisher, Nick Markakis, and JD Drew.

(Interestingly, Magglio Ordonez, whom Dye replaced, is creating 3.85 runs per game for the Tigers.)

At this offensive pace, Dye isn't worth a big contract, but if the Sox want Dye to return, I can't imagine the sides not working out a deal. Jermaine never seems to want to go for the money. He likes stability and playing on a solid team, I expect.

The question of Jim Thome is a thornier one. I'm sure Thome will keep playing, and would like to stay in Chicago to try to reach 600 HRs. And, despite what some people have posted on this thread, he's certainly hitting well enough overall for it to be worth Chicago's while to keep him. He's producing 6.75 runs per game, which is the best on the Sox for the moment. (I expect Beckham to pass him before the year's out.) That ranks him tied for 3rd among AL DHs, with Matsui. He's behind Jason Kubel and Adam Lind.

In 2008, Thome created 6.10 runs/game, which ranked 3rd on the team behind Quentin and Dye, so his offense does not appear to be declining.

There is certainly no one in the Sox system who can replace either Jermaine's or Jim's offensive numbers any time soon, probably ever. So that means if the Sox let either one or both of them walk, they'll have to find comparable replacements or see our offense suffer. And since our weak offense is the reason we aren't in first already, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to let them go.

I could see Jim accepting a one year deal to stay in Chicago at a very reasonable rate.

So, my bottom line would be to strongly consider keeping both. I'd also be open to finding younger replacements -- we'll have to soon enough regardless -- but only if the offense does not suffer.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 12:32 PM)
Though i would sign Figgins for LF and perhaps let Jordan Danks battle Pods for the every day CF position in spring training.

Yeah. That would be some bad OF defense.

Figgins/Pods/Q is probably a very limited-ranged defense and Figs and Pods have noodle arms.