What would it take to get Carl Crawford

soxfan420

That would cost so much dear god

I dont wanna decimate the farm's pitching any further. Maybe down the line we could package Flowers and Mitchell? It would hurt to give that up but TB has been open to going the youth movement route. And we'd be pretty darn stacked at that point.

Edited by Princess Dye

What would it take to get Carl Crawford?

Whatever it takes is my response. This guy has been one of my favorite players to watch over the past 5 seasons and he would make our lineup that much more dangerous.

Just imagining a lineup with both Beckham and Crawford in it makes me gitty!!

What would it take to get Carl Crawford?

Whatever it takes is my response. This guy has been one of my favorite players to watch over the past 5 seasons and he would make our lineup that much more dangerous.

Just imagining a lineup with both Beckham and Crawford in it makes me gitty!!

What about resigning Pods for one more year and hoping Mitchell has a really quick year in 2010 in AA/AAA? I kinda think if he keeps doing well in Kanny he will go to the AFL and tear it up and then get a ST invite and then AA. Kinda like Beckham.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 01:24 AM)
What about resigning Pods for one more year and hoping Mitchell has a really quick year in 2010 in AA/AAA? I kinda think if he keeps doing well in Kanny he will go to the AFL and tear it up and then get a ST invite and then AA. Kinda like Beckham.

It seems Mitchell (despite SEC pedigree too) is more of a raw or unfinished product who will need at least two years in the minors from all reports.

We'll have to wait until Free Agency most likely.

However if he isnt dealt before the season and tampa continues to get bomed in this economy then he could probably be had for much cheaper then we think.

They can't afford him - and the league knows it. I think they'd take one prospect of a Flowers caliber and two lesser ones with upside.

He'll be much more attainable then we all think.

Edited by Pumpkin Escobar

I can't believe we are so late in the year and just now getting a Carl Crawford thread. That must be some sort of record.

Crawford will cost sooooo much, and with Mitchell being hailed as a Crawford clone I just don't see how we pick him up. I'd love to have him, but it would take eveything we had left on the farm and then some.

Why does everyone think he is going to cost as much as I am interpreting them to? He may be a Free Agent this offseason if they don't exercise his option in fear of not being able to deal him.

They've been very clear about needing to move Crawford's 11.5 mil next season, their attempts to move the expensive and terrible Kazmir, as well as their potential need to move Pena/Burrell.

No doubt Crawford is an amazing talent and that is why we think he is going to cost a ton under normal circumstances. But we've seen reluctancy to deal prospects almost everywhere but a handful of teams, the economy is horrible for teams wanting to add 11 million in a trade, and tampa cannot afford the guy.

Maybe I am just misunderstand what everyone perceives as a ton because I'm looking at what a guy like Holliday got and guys like Sabathia and they hold more weight then Crawford and weren't on teams desperate to deal payroll away.

Crawford will command good players. 3 of them. One top 50 kind of prospect. Flowers is who I see it as. Then I'll say two arms in single-A with good upside. They dont have multiple years on his contract and if they dont deal him in the offseason, his value is only going to go down just that much mroe by the deadline.

He won't get a Lee package, or a Halladay, or a Holliday even. He'll get a very good package but Tampa understands their situation and seem more willing to building around Longoria, Upton, Price and their prospects instead of Crawford, Pena and Kazmir.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 11:08 AM)
Crawford will command good players. 3 of them. One top 50 kind of prospect. Flowers is who I see it as. Then I'll say two arms in single-A with good upside. They dont have multiple years on his contract and if they dont deal him in the offseason, his value is only going to go down just that much mroe by the deadline.

No way the Rays accept that package. It will take at least two top 100 prospects (one top 50) and possibly another high-upside guy to get him IMO. We're talking about two advanced players (AA/AAA) who will be able to contribute in the next two years. Something like Flowers and Hudson. The last guy would be probably need to be a high-upside arm like Leesman or Infante who's farther away from helping. I would not trade that kind of talent for one year of Crawford, especially with Mitchell in the system.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
No way the Rays accept that package. It will take at least two top 100 prospects (one top 50) and possibly another high-upside guy to get him IMO. We're talking about two advanced players (AA/AAA) who will be able to contribute in the next two years. Something like Flowers and Hudson. The last guy would be probably need to be a high-upside arm like Leesman or Infante who's farther away from helping. I would not trade that kind of talent for one year of Crawford, especially with Mitchell in the system.

Thats what I would assume but seeing those packages given to Oakland and Cleveland - the top 100 thing is tough to call.

A sure fire, consensus top 50 guy plus two 1st-2nd rounders with upside. Regardless of what they're projected to be or doing should be enough.

I'm sure they'll ask for more and probably could get more but if things don't turn around for them and several other teams economically - itll only leave X amount of teams able to make a play. The Mets? Yankees maybe but they have enough OF. Cubs have an 18 million investment in LF already. Boston will most likely have Bay or anything else they want. Phili has 3 Allstar OF and 2 top-tier OF in the minors. Angels have too many. Dodgers have too many.

Holliday will take someone out of this equation also.

Who else would be interested and able to take on that salary? I shouldnt be saying he isn't worth more - not sure if I did or didnt - but I'm saying based on what we've seen economically, unwillingness to deal prospects, and what the compensation was in the trades that did happen for better talent than Crawford - I just don't see them getting a huge haul like they should/want.

They'll get a very good one but I think they'll peak around what Holliday got. Which was 1 top-flight prospect and two lower level arms with upside (both first rounders I believe).

And I agree with you anything more than that or like the offer you project from our club is not worth it us.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 10:59 AM)
John Danks, Dan Hudson and Tyler Flowers AT LEAST.

And that's why it will never happen.

What?

I'd offer John Danks for him straight up and if they ask for someone like Flowers then they're just not serious.